Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-07-16T17:37:50Z by HermannSW
smashyrahul
smashyrahul
377 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Timeout in DataPower

‏2013-07-12T16:02:28Z |

Hello Experts,

I have a question regarding timeouts. I can see there are several timeouts in datpower

1) Front side timeout and back side timeout ( on Configure MPGW screen in 'General' tab)

2) Front persistent timeout and back persistent timeout ( under 'Advanced' tab)

3) TimeOut in user agent.

How can we know that which timeout value is actually getting used?

Thanks,

Rahul

• JoeMorganNTST
    JoeMorganNTST
    427 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Timeout in DataPower

‏2013-07-15T21:33:54Z  in response to smashyrahul

Front and back side timeout is a time out related to the actual transaction connection, describing how long DataPower will wait before abandoning the communication attempt (back side) or response (front side)

The front and back persistent timeouts are designed for when you are using persistent connections, how long to keep a connection open before it times out.

I haven't played with User Agent timeout much, and I would think the MPGW timeout presides.  When set at the default of 120, that is the timeout... not the 5 minutes in the User Agent.  However, it does make me wonder if I set the User Agent timeout at, say, 60, would that one preside.

• smashyrahul
      smashyrahul
      377 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-16T15:41:22Z  in response to JoeMorganNTST

Thanks Joe,

But is it advisable to use 'Persistent Connections' ON in datapower? In what scenario we should keep it ON?

Thanks,

Rahul

• JoeMorganNTST
        JoeMorganNTST
        427 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-16T15:51:52Z  in response to smashyrahul

I can't think of a time when I explicitly turned it off.... and I haven't been bitten that I know of.

• smashyrahul
          smashyrahul
          377 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-16T16:22:20Z  in response to JoeMorganNTST

Well me too, by default it is turned 'ON'. But I am really not sure, if it will cause any issues with higher amount of volumes.

• smashyrahul
          smashyrahul
          377 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-16T16:53:20Z  in response to JoeMorganNTST

As per below article:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21417934

When multiple services communicate within the same device, persistent connections should be disabled over that connection.

Till now I have not faced any issues, as there was no load test done so far on my application, but after reading all these articles, I fear some issues may occur if I kept 'Persistent Connection' ON.

For now, I will just keep it 'ON', let's see what happens during load testing.

Thanks,

Rahul

• JoeMorganNTST
            JoeMorganNTST
            427 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-16T17:17:19Z  in response to smashyrahul

That seems to be limited to internal service->service communication.  It makes me wonder, though, if it still applies beyond 4.0.2 firmware.

• HermannSW
              HermannSW
              4491 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-16T17:37:50Z  in response to JoeMorganNTST

> This best practice will avoid the inherent race condition of HTTP persistent connection reuse and any network errors that would result.
              >
              It is a HTTP protocol issue -- so yes, that technote still applies.

Hermann<myXsltBlog/> <myXsltTweets/> <myCE/>