Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-08-28T22:22:55Z by kourosh
llandale
llandale
245 Posts

Pinned topic Database Start/Stop Logging

‏2013-08-27T17:23:18Z |

I seem to have gone brain dead.  How would I know when the DOORS database server last started or stopped?  surely there is some logging I've forgotten about.

• PRM
    PRM
    1 Post

Re: Database Start/Stop Logging

‏2013-08-28T00:24:52Z  

Two possible ways of doing this.

1. Wade your way through the myriad of system events logged by the Windows Event Viewer console.
    2. Configure DOORS to create a DB Server Log - this will record when the DOORS DB Service has been started and stopped plus a lot of other stuff, just search for "starting server" and "Shutdown"

If you're interested in option 2, here is what you need to do

1. Create two new string values in the Registry - the registray path below is for DOORS 9.2 and earlier, it will be something similar for DOORS 9.3 and beyond but perhaps under a Rational or IBM folder.
    2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Telelogic\DOORS_Server\9.x\Config      (In Windows 7 or the latest Winows Server O/S's, this path could be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Telelogic\DOORS_Server\9.x\Config)
    3. Create a "LogLevel" string value and set the value to 4
    4. Create a "LogFile" string value and enter the path and filename of where you want the text log file to be dumped.
    5. The DOORS DB Server must be restarted for logging to start.
    6. Caution - this can load down the server if there is a lot of user activity going on. The log file will rapidly fill and may need to be cleared out every day.

Paul Miller
    Melbourne, Australia

• Pekka_Makinen
    Pekka_Makinen
    5 Posts

‏2013-08-28T13:15:28Z  
    • PRM
    • ‏2013-08-28T00:24:52Z

Two possible ways of doing this.

1. Wade your way through the myriad of system events logged by the Windows Event Viewer console.
    2. Configure DOORS to create a DB Server Log - this will record when the DOORS DB Service has been started and stopped plus a lot of other stuff, just search for "starting server" and "Shutdown"

If you're interested in option 2, here is what you need to do

1. Create two new string values in the Registry - the registray path below is for DOORS 9.2 and earlier, it will be something similar for DOORS 9.3 and beyond but perhaps under a Rational or IBM folder.
    2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Telelogic\DOORS_Server\9.x\Config      (In Windows 7 or the latest Winows Server O/S's, this path could be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Telelogic\DOORS_Server\9.x\Config)
    3. Create a "LogLevel" string value and set the value to 4
    4. Create a "LogFile" string value and enter the path and filename of where you want the text log file to be dumped.
    5. The DOORS DB Server must be restarted for logging to start.
    6. Caution - this can load down the server if there is a lot of user activity going on. The log file will rapidly fill and may need to be cleared out every day.

Paul Miller
    Melbourne, Australia

Windows Event Viewer has also Find function - of course might be dependent on version, but at least on my Windows 7 Pro I can use Find to search for DOORS items in the System log. There is also a Filter, but I have not been successful with that.

• kourosh
    kourosh
    26 Posts

‏2013-08-28T22:22:55Z  

You can also check the $ServerData folder on the DOORS server machine and look at what the creation date of a file called servdata.dtc is. This file gets created every time the DOORS database server is started. But don't mess with the file itself or any of the other data files!

Updated on 2013-08-28T22:24:21Z at 2013-08-28T22:24:21Z by kourosh