5 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-04-03T08:29:05Z by Mangesh Shirke
syed55
syed55
4 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Adding Second EXP 810 to DS4700

‏2014-03-26T06:54:47Z |

Hi ;

We need to add second EX810 to DS4700 One is already running and was added time ago and I was not involved.  I have noted the cabling from the guide. Should I do the following ..

Do I need to power off the DS4700 and the current Exp810 before plugging the new EXP810 in DS4700 ?  As few threads say no need to power off ,automatic discovery will find the new expansion 810 when powered on ?  What's the safer way ?

If I go with power off option , I shall follow the following steps. Kindly guide

1) Stop I/O to Arrays , better would be shutdown hosts sending using these arrays.

2) After couple of minutes power off DS4700

3) Power off Exisiting 810

4) perform cabling loops and other checks like link speed etc.

5) I don't have any hard disks as yet , only new enclosure to be connected .

6) Power on the current and new EXP 810 , let them stabilize

7) Power on the DS4700

8)  Check from Storage manager detection of new exp 810.

Are these steps correct ? or can any one help me with their experience and procedure

Many Thanks in advance. 

Syed ... 

• Mangesh Shirke
    Mangesh Shirke
    43 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Adding Second EXP 810 to DS4700

‏2014-03-26T14:03:48Z  in response to syed55

Hi Syed,

Procedure which you have mentioned above is correct. But I don't think you need downtime to add second expansion.

In DS4700 storage we have redundant drive channel. As currently you have one EXP810 connected you must have one drive channel in use. Second drive channel is empty.

While adding second expansion it is highly recommended to use second drive channel. In this case you are not disturbing any existing connectivity. So there is no harm in adding expansion online.

Kindly refer below link for DS4700 cabling guide. For your case kindly refer Figure 53 on page number 73.

http://public.dhe.ibm.com/systems/support/system_x_pdf/94y8472.pdf

Also it is recommended to have storage firmware's to latest level.

Thanks.

Mangesh Shirke

• syed55
      syed55
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-31T07:51:15Z  in response to Mangesh Shirke

Good Day Mangesh ;

Thanks for your response and expert views.  The point you raised are logical and make sense but as we were doing this expansion for the first time we chose the safe way and shutdown every thing cabling was simple as mentioned and it worked . :) All the relevant firmwares were updated. 

Now we have to step up and have to perform another expansion for adding a third expansion . As in this case do drive channel is empty so we shall have to make a different loop . We are doing our home work but if any tricks you or any pal can share that will more than good. This time we don't have updated firmwares so do we need to take a shutdown /outage  for  updating controllers firmware as well  or is there any possibility to  do it one by one 

Again thanks for helping :)

Syed 

• Mangesh Shirke
        Mangesh Shirke
        43 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-02T14:11:22Z  in response to syed55

Hi Syed,

Please correct me if I am wrong. Currently you have two expansion connected to this storage. Both of this expansions are connected in same drive channel. If this is case, then you have one drive channel free. You can create new loop and add third expansion.

If you do not have drive channel free then you can add third expansion in existing loop. You can refer below document for cabling diagram.

http://public.dhe.ibm.com/systems/support/system_x_pdf/94y8472.pdf

It is highly recommended to have same number of expansions in each loop. In case of odd numbers one expansion difference is accepted.

Thanks.

Mangesh Shirke

• syed55
          syed55
          4 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-03T07:51:24Z  in response to Mangesh Shirke

Hello Mangesh ;

We have both drive channels occupied as per standard cabling of two exp 810s. now we have to add third one. As per IBM documentation I think we need to change the existing connections and connect new expansion in one drive channel and existing two in loop with other drive channel , Is my understanding correct ?

We have to take care of cabling , SW versions . Any thing else you can advice. 

Syed 

• Mangesh Shirke
            Mangesh Shirke
            43 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-03T08:29:05Z  in response to syed55

Hi Syed,

Your understanding is correct. Kindly find below attached cabling diagram for three expansions.

Thanks.

Attachments