Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2018-01-11T20:23:26Z by G_S_Edwards
mjbrown1
mjbrown1
3 Posts

Pinned topic Page Setups

‏2014-05-13T18:42:45Z | page setups

I have DOORs 8.1 and 9.4 versions running on separate physical devices.   I am being asked to archive/restore some of the 8.1 data onto 9.4.   We are an aerospace company and document format/controlled changes is very important, so I really would like to move the 50 or so page setups to the 9.4 server along with the .dpa's but  I cannot seem to find a way to move them.   Any ideas?

• llandale
    llandale
    254 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Page Setups

‏2014-05-14T17:24:18Z  
    • kensarai
    • ‏2014-05-14T05:39:55Z

It is not compatible to archive/restore dpa files between 8.1 and 9.4.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYQBZ_9.4.0.1/com.ibm.doors.install.doc/topics/c_upgradingfrom9x.html?lang=en

Other option is to update the DOORS database server itself from 8.1 to 9.4. The database schema will be updated as well. Then you can archive/restore in 9.4. If you cannot upgrade the current production server, perhaps you can create a replicated DOORS 8.1 server, and upgrade this one. Hope it helps.

I have not specifically tried v81 archives restored in a v9.4 database, but DOORS has always allowed backward compatibility when it comes to the restore database.  Yes, you cannot restore into 8.1 a v9.4 archive.

Anyway, if you have access to your server's database root folder, the PageLayouts files are stored here:

• v6data\layout

I've never tried, but I'm guessing you can just move a file over to the newer database.  If not, I'm reasonably confident you could just delete the corresponding "layout" folder on the new and replace it with the entire folder from the old.  I would

• Turn off new service
    • Rename "layout" folder to "layout_original"
    • Copy in the layout folder from the old database
    • turn on service, check out the PageLayouts from some module.
    • If you had a problem, turn off the servoice, delete "layouts", rename the original back, turn on the service.

Well, try that on some practice database.

-Louie

• kensarai
    kensarai
    3 Posts

‏2014-05-14T05:39:55Z  

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYQBZ_9.4.0.1/com.ibm.doors.install.doc/topics/c_upgradingfrom9x.html?lang=en

Other option is to update the DOORS database server itself from 8.1 to 9.4. The database schema will be updated as well. Then you can archive/restore in 9.4. If you cannot upgrade the current production server, perhaps you can create a replicated DOORS 8.1 server, and upgrade this one. Hope it helps.

• mjbrown1
    mjbrown1
    3 Posts

‏2014-05-14T13:28:44Z  
    • kensarai

Woah.  Thank you for that.

m

• llandale
    llandale
    254 Posts

‏2014-05-14T17:24:18Z  
    • kensarai

I have not specifically tried v81 archives restored in a v9.4 database, but DOORS has always allowed backward compatibility when it comes to the restore database.  Yes, you cannot restore into 8.1 a v9.4 archive.

Anyway, if you have access to your server's database root folder, the PageLayouts files are stored here:

• v6data\layout

I've never tried, but I'm guessing you can just move a file over to the newer database.  If not, I'm reasonably confident you could just delete the corresponding "layout" folder on the new and replace it with the entire folder from the old.  I would

• Turn off new service
    • If you had a problem, turn off the servoice, delete "layouts", rename the original back, turn on the service.

-Louie

• mjbrown1
    mjbrown1
    3 Posts

‏2014-05-14T18:39:16Z  
    • llandale
    • ‏2014-05-14T17:24:18Z

• v6data\layout

• Turn off new service

-Louie

Louie> I have archived and restored several .dpa's between 8.1 and 9.4.  All the data/links seem to migrate correctly when I tested, and have had no user issues to date.   But like the above article states " results in the loss of access controls and cross-project links."   which I take to include the page setups.   I will try your suggestion.  Thanks.  ~m

A little later.    Very nice trick Louie.  Thx

Updated on 2014-05-14T18:54:34Z at 2014-05-14T18:54:34Z by mjbrown1
  • llandale
    llandale
    254 Posts

‏2014-05-15T20:59:04Z  
    • mjbrown1
    • ‏2014-05-14T18:39:16Z

Louie> I have archived and restored several .dpa's between 8.1 and 9.4.  All the data/links seem to migrate correctly when I tested, and have had no user issues to date.   But like the above article states " results in the loss of access controls and cross-project links."   which I take to include the page setups.   I will try your suggestion.  Thanks.  ~m

A little later.    Very nice trick Louie.  Thx

"Cross project links" are not restored because one of the 3 modules (source, linkmod, target) is not in the archive.

"AccessControls" are lost (unless you restore in the original database) because user number "4" in the home database has nothing to do with user number "4" in the away; DOORS could not possibly figure out how to map users and groups between projects, so they just turn everything to "specific".

PageSetup are not part of the project at all.  Create one in one project and you can see it in another no problem.  They are "database" things, and thus are not archived.

-Louie

• G_S_Edwards
    G_S_Edwards
    1 Post

‏2018-01-11T20:23:26Z  
    • llandale
    • ‏2014-05-14T17:24:18Z

• v6data\layout

• Turn off new service

-Louie

Louie,

Thanks for you point about backward incompatibility between v9.4 and v8.1.

Do you suppose a project archive from version 9.6 could be restored in version 9.3?

Regards,

Graham

Updated on 2018-01-11T20:24:35Z at 2018-01-11T20:24:35Z by G_S_Edwards