6 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-12-05T06:27:29Z by Rohini_poc
Rohini_poc
Rohini_poc
14 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Retain page on portlet maximize

‏2013-12-02T10:53:09Z |

Hi,

We have implemented drill-down chart using charts builder and deployed it as portlet model.portlet  can be maximized.

Whenever  we click on the chart we get its drilled down chart , if we click on maximize(button on portlet skin) we want the drilled down chart to be displayed.

Now its showing main chart only.Its not retaining the page from where maximize button is clicked.

Thanks,

Rohini

• kevintap
    kevintap
    742 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Retain page on portlet maximize

‏2013-12-02T19:47:04Z  in response to Rohini_poc

hi Rohini,

Can you describe what builders you are using here for the chart and how you are implementing the drill down?  Are you using WDF and the Summary and Drilldown builder or are you using the Charts builder and implementing your own click action to achieve the drill down?

Providing a sample model that demonstrates your issue might help here.

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.

• Rohini_poc
    Rohini_poc
    14 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-12-03T07:02:28Z  in response to Rohini_poc

Hi Kevin,

We are using CHARTS builder.For drill down we created one java method using METHOD builder and depending on the column label and column index of bar we have written below code to display drilled down chart.

returnValue = webAppAccess.processAction("ShowResults of desired page");

And in Charts builder we provided this method in Chart Click Action.

Thanks

• mburati
      mburati
      2538 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-12-03T13:52:21Z  in response to Rohini_poc

What is "ShowResults of desired page" ?   Is it an action that processes a page or something that returns Javascript or ?...

When the portal asks a portlet to Render its current page, as it would do after an F5-refresh or right-click refresh clicking on another NON-WEF portlet on the page or possibly maximizing the portlet, the portlet doesn't have an action to run, so it just looks up the last portlet page rendered and runs that JSP again.    So if your action processes a page that page should now be current and be rendered again.  If your action was just returning some JS that is run in the browser then the portlet's page is probably still it's previous page and that is what will be rendered the next time the portal asks it to (on refresh and/or maximize).

I hope that info helps,
      ..Mike Burati 
      The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.
      • Rohini_poc
        Rohini_poc
        14 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-12-04T10:31:46Z  in response to mburati

Hi,

"ShowResults of desired page" this is action that processes a page.

Actually we have two portlets say outer portlet and inner portlet.In outer portlet we have iframe whoes source is inner portlet.

Chart is displayed by inner portlet.On portal page outer portlet is added.When we click on chart bar its drilled down chart is getting displayed.And now if we maximize the portlet drilled down chart is not retaining ,its showing its parent chart only.In this case browser URL is not changing on "On click" action since iframe  is there.

Is there any way through which we achieve retainig of the drilled down page?

Thanks,

• kevintap
          kevintap
          742 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-12-04T17:24:10Z  in response to Rohini_poc

From your description, it sounds like the iframe is the problem here.  I'm not quite sure how you have configured this to render a "portlet" inside the iframe, but in any case since you're using an iframe here it is likely contributing to the issue.

The drilldown action that you describe will interact with the model rendered inside the iframe and will change the state of that iframe.  When you click on the maximize link - this action is an interaction with the outer model - the model containing the iframe.  When the outer model is re-rendered, it will re-fetch the URL that you have provided for the model inside the iframe.  This will likely cause the model inside the iframe to render its initial view again, since you are re-fetching the original URL in that iframe.

I'm not sure that I fully understand the need to use an iframe here, and I would recommend against it.  If the content inside the iframe is a WEF model and is from the same web application, it would make more sense to use a Model Container builder for this content instead of an iframe.

• Rohini_poc
            Rohini_poc
            14 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-12-05T06:27:29Z  in response to kevintap

Hi,

Let me explain you why we used iframe here.We have 2 portlets on portal page.When we do any action in portlet1 say drill down action portlet2 also refreshes(whole page refreshes).We dont want to refresh second portlet(whole page refresh) when we do any action in first portlet.Our requirment is not to refresh whole page on any action in the chart.

Is there any way except ifrmae through which we achieve this?

Thanks,