• 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-07-19T06:13:35Z by Sakshi
Sakshi
Sakshi
24 Posts

Pinned topic CC Service startup error on solaris sparc machine

‏2013-07-18T12:32:31Z |

hi,

i could successfully install ClearCase on Solaris 5.10 sparc machine.

clearcase version installed is : 8.0.0.02

the issue is while mounting VOBs.

the error while starting/ stopping ClearCase is :

cleartool: Error: Unknown host 'servername': node name or service name not known
cleartool: Error: Unable to contact albd_server on host 'hostname of solaris machine'
cleartool: Error: Unable to find albd_server on host 'hostname of solaris machine'
cleartool: Error: Unable to create handle to the mount server: RPC: Success
Trouble unmounting active VOBs(32:1)

we have clearcase vob servers on linux. i compared the server packages, the patch with a similar machine and find there is no change.

any pointers in this regard will be helpful as i do not have deep knowledge in solaris os.

• brcowan
    brcowan
    741 Posts

Re: CC Service startup error on solaris sparc machine

‏2013-07-18T19:47:31Z  

So, from this I would guess that "servername" is the name of your LICENSE server. And that your Solaris system can't reach it.

So, there are a few things to find out:

1. Is that error message from the Solaris host or a remote host? (Just checking because you didn't specify)
    2. Is the albd running on the solaris host at that time? (pgrep albd_server)
    3. Was it able to sucessfully bind to port 371 TCPv4/TCPv6/UDPv4/UDPv6? Check the albd log at /var/adm/rational/clearcase/logs/albd_log
    4. Is there any firewall (iptables, usually) enabled on the Solaris Host?
    5. Is this in a global or non-global zone?
    6. Can you ping "servername" and "hostname of solaris machine" by the exact names specified?

• Sakshi
    Sakshi
    24 Posts

Re: CC Service startup error on solaris sparc machine

‏2013-07-19T06:13:35Z  
    • brcowan
    • ‏2013-07-18T19:47:31Z

So, from this I would guess that "servername" is the name of your LICENSE server. And that your Solaris system can't reach it.

So, there are a few things to find out:

1. Is that error message from the Solaris host or a remote host? (Just checking because you didn't specify)
    2. Is the albd running on the solaris host at that time? (pgrep albd_server)
    3. Was it able to sucessfully bind to port 371 TCPv4/TCPv6/UDPv4/UDPv6? Check the albd log at /var/adm/rational/clearcase/logs/albd_log
    4. Is there any firewall (iptables, usually) enabled on the Solaris Host?
    5. Is this in a global or non-global zone?
    6. Can you ping "servername" and "hostname of solaris machine" by the exact names specified?

hi,

thanks for your questions. i got a hint from your last question. The solaris machine was not pinging itself with hostname.

changing hostname to fully qualified domain name resolved the issue.

Thanks again,

Regards

Sakshi