Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-05-21T20:40:49Z by Dave_H
Dave_H
Dave_H
2 Posts

Pinned topic Can we reclaim DB space after CQ record deletions

‏2013-05-20T14:39:42Z |

After deleting thousands of records from our UDB 9.7 database and the DBA's executed a "reorg", I expected to be using less table space - but that did not happen.  Is this the expected behavior?

Is this a known application-level issue, or can some more intensive "reorg" be performed to actually "compact" the DB? 

We are using CQ v7.1.2.4 and a schema based upon ALM v1.1

Thank you.

• DonaldN
    DonaldN
    287 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Can we reclaim DB space after CQ record deletions

‏2013-05-21T00:15:25Z  

Hi Dave,

ClearQuest does not manage the database to the tablespace level, so it is not an application-level issue per se. It is really up to your DBA to answer the question why the freed space in tablespace has not been reclaimed.

From a ClearQuest perspective, what you can make sure is that the records are actually "deleted" in the table, and the right table is being "reorg". Having said that, I hope that the deletion of records has been done within ClearQuest, not directly in the database, otherwise the ClearQuest database may have been broken.

Hope that helps.

• DonaldN
    DonaldN
    287 Posts

‏2013-05-21T00:15:25Z  

Hi Dave,

ClearQuest does not manage the database to the tablespace level, so it is not an application-level issue per se. It is really up to your DBA to answer the question why the freed space in tablespace has not been reclaimed.

From a ClearQuest perspective, what you can make sure is that the records are actually "deleted" in the table, and the right table is being "reorg". Having said that, I hope that the deletion of records has been done within ClearQuest, not directly in the database, otherwise the ClearQuest database may have been broken.

Hope that helps.

• Dave_H
    Dave_H
    2 Posts

‏2013-05-21T20:40:49Z  
    • DonaldN
    • ‏2013-05-21T00:15:25Z

Hi Dave,

Hope that helps.

Hi Donald - Thanks for the reply.

Yes, we are using the API "DeleteEntity", called from a perl script, so CQ should be OK with it.

I have verified from the client that these records are gone (i.e. I could open them before the script ran, and I get "not found" afterward), so now I will be asking my DBA what really happens in the reorg they ran for us.. and what MORE they can do.

Thanks for the help!