IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-03-07T15:27:14Z by onewhotypescode
onewhotypescode
onewhotypescode
3 Posts

Pinned topic RHEL 6.3 using IBMTK 5.3 on Power 6 - Issue w/ ibmit-distro cannot retrieve repository metadata

‏2013-01-11T18:44:29Z |
 Hello all:

I have two RHEL 5.8 Servers hosted by an IBM i LPAR and I just installed one RHEL 6.3 on the same LPAR using the IBM Installation toolkit for PowerLinux v5.3.
The install went flawlessly, however at the completion of the setup yum is unable to find the ibmit-distro.
The exact error is:

file:///var/cache/ibmit/dvd/rhel/6/3/any/./repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] Could not open/read file   
Trying other mirror. 
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: ibmit-distro. Please verify it's path and try again. It's exactly correct, the file isn;t there but given this is a new install where should it be looking for this file? Should I simply disable? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. - Carl
Updated on 2013-01-15T18:25:07Z at 2013-01-15T18:25:07Z by anibal.carvalho
  • anibal.carvalho
    anibal.carvalho
    18 Posts

Re: RHEL 6.3 using IBMTK 5.3 on Power 6 - Issue w/ ibmit-distro cannot retrieve repository metadata

‏2013-01-15T15:33:49Z  
     Hi.

Thank you for your report. I am investigating this issue. Could you please provide a step-by-step of what you did (providing all the installation options)? Did you hit the error message by running yum at the installed system? If so, could you also inform what was the complete command you ran (all the yum parameters)? That would be very helpful.

Regards,
    Anibal.
  • onewhotypescode
    onewhotypescode
    3 Posts

Re: RHEL 6.3 using IBMTK 5.3 on Power 6 - Issue w/ ibmit-distro cannot retrieve repository metadata

‏2013-01-15T15:51:11Z  
     Hi.

Thank you for your report. I am investigating this issue. Could you please provide a step-by-step of what you did (providing all the installation options)? Did you hit the error message by running yum at the installed system? If so, could you also inform what was the complete command you ran (all the yum parameters)? That would be very helpful.

Regards,
    Anibal.
     This issue appeared immediately after the install completed. issued yum update
     Loaded plugins: product-id, refresh-packagekit, rhnplugin, security, tmprepo,
                  : upgrade-helper
    file:///var/cache/ibmit/dvd/rhel/6/3/any/./repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] Could not open/read file:///var/cache/ibmit/dvd/rhel/6/3/any/./repodata/repomd.xml
    Trying other mirror.
    Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: ibmit-distro. Please verify its path and try again
  • anibal.carvalho
    anibal.carvalho
    18 Posts

‏2013-01-15T18:25:07Z  
     This issue appeared immediately after the install completed. issued yum update
     Loaded plugins: product-id, refresh-packagekit, rhnplugin, security, tmprepo,
                  : upgrade-helper
    file:///var/cache/ibmit/dvd/rhel/6/3/any/./repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] Could not open/read file:///var/cache/ibmit/dvd/rhel/6/3/any/./repodata/repomd.xml
    Trying other mirror.
    Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: ibmit-distro. Please verify its path and try again
    It seems you used a DVD as a source for RHEL6.3 packages repository during installation, right? Did you remove the DVD after the installation completed (and before running 'yum update')?
    If that was the case, the IBMIT made this RHEL6.3 DVD repository  enabled to use it during installation, but it didn't disabled at the end of it. As a workaround you can:

1) Use IBMIT Repositories Configurator Tool to disable the ibm-distro repository
    or
    2) Manually editing its config file on /etc/yum.repos.d/ibmit-distro.repo and change the enabled field value to 0 (zero)

After 1 or 2, run 'yum clean all' and then 'yum update'.

We are working to get this issue fixed for our next release.
  • onewhotypescode
    onewhotypescode
    3 Posts

‏2014-03-07T15:27:14Z  
    It seems you used a DVD as a source for RHEL6.3 packages repository during installation, right? Did you remove the DVD after the installation completed (and before running 'yum update')?
    If that was the case, the IBMIT made this RHEL6.3 DVD repository  enabled to use it during installation, but it didn't disabled at the end of it. As a workaround you can:

1) Use IBMIT Repositories Configurator Tool to disable the ibm-distro repository
    or
    2) Manually editing its config file on /etc/yum.repos.d/ibmit-distro.repo and change the enabled field value to 0 (zero)

After 1 or 2, run 'yum clean all' and then 'yum update'.

We are working to get this issue fixed for our next release.

I'm sorry. I just realized that I never thanked you for your response.

Thank you.

-Carl

Updated on 2014-03-07T15:39:29Z at 2014-03-07T15:39:29Z by onewhotypescode