Topic
  • 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-07-02T09:52:02Z by wvh
inkking
inkking
1 Post

Pinned topic Unable to find supported browser

‏2013-06-26T16:13:08Z |

I am running into this problem when trying to install IDE.

Problem: when double click lauchpad.sh, my mozilla firefox popped up a page saying unable to find supported browser.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4

Mozilla Firefox 17

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

• wvh
    wvh
    2 Posts

Re: Unable to find supported browser

‏2013-07-02T09:52:02Z  

This message can occur when you've logged in as a normal user, then su'd to root to run launchpad.sh. In this case, the "real" problem is probably that root can't create windows on the display due to how xauth cookies work in the X Window system. Two possible solutions are:

• log in on the system as the root user and start X manually if you're not logging in through GDM (or some other X Window system display manager). 
    • modify your ~/.Xauthority file to add the appropriate cookie to allow root to access the display. You can add the right cookie manually, use scripts to do this (see the Linux Documentation Project's page on this, http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-X-Apps-7.html), or set the XAUTHORITY environment variable before you su so that the environment variable works in a more generic fashion (export XAUTHORITY=~/.Xauthority).

The first of these is certainly easiest, but either should enable you to run the launchpad.sh script successfully. If launchpad.sh still doesn't start Installation Manager, post again and I'll be glad to walk you through the process of manually locating the right cookie using the xauth command and adding it to your ~/.Xauthority file. That will at least work for a single session, but is pretty Bullet-proof.

You can also try running the launchpad.sh script using "bash -x launchpad.sh", which will show you each line in the script as it executes (or tries to ;-), which will help better identify the command that is failing to execute correctly. 

Let us know how it goes!

Bill