• Latest Post - ‏2013-10-03T22:52:49Z by ChrisHardy68
jester76
jester76
25 Posts

Pinned topic Duplicate data required at places

‏2013-09-19T18:48:41Z |

Hello,

I have an issue to resolve

I have a template and can export data properly from DOORS to template. But there is a request to place 4-5 objects from the same module n different location (other than its normal place).

I am using RPE 1.1.1

For example

Current Desired
Object 1 Object 1
Object 2 Object 5
Object 3 Object 6
Object 4 Object 2
Object 5 Object 3
Object 6 Object 4
  Object 5
  Object 6

I tried adding conditions/container/datasource with no luck. Has anyone done something like this before? if so please share.

Thanks

Jester

Updated on 2013-09-19T19:02:58Z at 2013-09-19T19:02:58Z by jester76
  • BillTidy
    BillTidy
    69 Posts

Re: Duplicate data required at places

‏2013-10-01T03:14:17Z  

All objects being printed are in the same module? What is the relationship between object 1 and objects 5 & 6? Are they linked in any way?

• jester76
    jester76
    25 Posts

‏2013-10-01T16:05:26Z  
    • BillTidy
    • ‏2013-10-01T03:14:17Z

All objects being printed are in the same module? What is the relationship between object 1 and objects 5 & 6? Are they linked in any way?

Hello,

Yes the objects are in the same module and are not lnked. There is no relationshio between object 1 and object 5 or 6 othern than that they are in same module.

Thanks

• ChrisHardy68
    ChrisHardy68
    86 Posts

‏2013-10-01T22:08:58Z  
    • jester76
    • ‏2013-10-01T16:05:26Z

Hello,

Yes the objects are in the same module and are not lnked. There is no relationshio between object 1 and object 5 or 6 othern than that they are in same module.

Thanks

Hi,

Based on yours and Bill's question maybe break this down into into  2 activities.

1: What are the criteria for repeating objects 5 and 6? I.e how does RPE know to repeat them. This could be as simple as having an attribute indicating that they need to be repeated, but I'm guessing that its more complicated than that.

2. Where should the repeated artifacts be placed. i.e how does RPE know where to place the repeated objects. Again I'm guessing there must be some criteria for this and its not arbitrary?

A function in RPE that "may" helps is book marks. While RPE is processing the module if you can determine where the info is to be placed you could insert a bookmark. You can then use the bookmark to place the artifact using the "target region" field.

Not sure if that will solve the issue but it might give you something to consider.

• Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1614 Posts

‏2013-10-03T13:52:36Z  

Hi,

Based on yours and Bill's question maybe break this down into into  2 activities.

1: What are the criteria for repeating objects 5 and 6? I.e how does RPE know to repeat them. This could be as simple as having an attribute indicating that they need to be repeated, but I'm guessing that its more complicated than that.

2. Where should the repeated artifacts be placed. i.e how does RPE know where to place the repeated objects. Again I'm guessing there must be some criteria for this and its not arbitrary?

A function in RPE that "may" helps is book marks. While RPE is processing the module if you can determine where the info is to be placed you could insert a bookmark. You can then use the bookmark to place the artifact using the "target region" field.

Not sure if that will solve the issue but it might give you something to consider.

Adding to what Chris already said: you need to define the rules that govern what data is duplicated and where the duplicates should be place. With regards to bookmarks ( regions) RPE currently only supports static regions meaning that you cannot define new regions as you process the data.

Regards,

Dragos

• ChrisHardy68
    ChrisHardy68
    86 Posts

‏2013-10-03T22:52:49Z  

Adding to what Chris already said: you need to define the rules that govern what data is duplicated and where the duplicates should be place. With regards to bookmarks ( regions) RPE currently only supports static regions meaning that you cannot define new regions as you process the data.

Regards,

Dragos

Thanks Dragos.

I just had another idea which is a completely different approach and which may not meet your needs but at least gives you something else to consider.

Q: Do you really need to duplicate the data?

If you don't how about using hyperlinks in the doc from the references to the source?

So in your example the items in Red would be hyperlinks to the items at the end of the doc.  Obviously you wouldn't get the full details of the object at the reference point but it would mean less duplication.