IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-10-05T21:56:10Z by RichMcFate
Jaango
Jaango
77 Posts

Pinned topic Using cobol copybooks

‏2013-08-22T16:02:55Z |

Sometimes, there will be errors/fields missing in typetree, while importing copybooks. Is there any format for copybooks(specifically to be used in wtx), that we need to follow?

Updated on 2014-10-09T11:10:23Z at 2014-10-09T11:10:23Z by paul.brett
  • GKearney
    GKearney
    52 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Using cobol copybooks

‏2014-09-18T10:23:58Z  

I don't see that.  The first item in my list is COBOL Copybook (deprecated).  Screen shot attached.

I can't tell if this is new with 8.4.1.2, because I don't remember using the feature in 8.4.1.1.   I'm pretty sure I had it in 8.4.1

Thanks,

Rich

Hi,

This technote might explain why the Cobol CopyBook wasn't displayed.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21684407&myns=swgws&mynp=OCSSVSD8&mync=E

Updated on 2014-09-18T12:43:33Z at 2014-09-18T12:43:33Z by paul.brett
  • Jim Divoky
    Jim Divoky
    20 Posts

‏2013-09-04T15:29:09Z  

It is common to have to tweak COBOL Copybook type trees.  And there are some things it doesn't handle.  There is a tutorial on the IBM website on creating a COBOL type tree and mapping it.  Don't have the link handy unfortunately.

Read the Type Tree Importers Guide, 1031.pdf. Chapter covers creating COBOL Copybook type trees in great detail.  It should answer most of your questions.

• GKearney
    GKearney
    52 Posts

‏2014-05-14T10:43:51Z  

In 8.4.1 the COBOL Copybook Importer has been improved.

The following is an extract from the 8.4.1 release notes ( http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27038390)

COBOL Copybook Importer
    There is a new COBOL Copybook Importer that addresses known limitations of the legacy COBOL Copybook Importer. For details about the limitations of the legacy COBOL Copybook Importer, which is still available, but is deprecated, see the related topics in the COBOL Copybook (Deprecated) Importer section of the Type Tree Importer documentation.

Some of the COBOL features that the new COBOL Copybook Importer supports are:

• Selecting multiple data structures from a single copybook or from multiple copybooks
    • Using as input, COBOL files with the following extensions: .cbl, .ccp, .cob, and .cpy
    • Importing the COBOL copybook from a full program or from a data structure only
    • Various USAGE clauses
    • Using the THROUGH or THRU options in the VALUES clause
    • Expanding embedded Copy clauses
    • Using the SYNCHRONIZED clause to synchronize data types
    • Allocating space in type trees for slack bytes
    • Automatically importing Occurs Depending On (ODO) restrictions
    • Automatically generating Choice groups for REDEFINE structures

For more details about these supported features, and the additional COBOL features that the new COBOL Copybook Importer supports, see the COBOL Copybook Importer section of the Type Tree Importer documentation.

• RichMcFate
    RichMcFate
    25 Posts

‏2014-07-16T20:14:11Z  
    • GKearney
    • ‏2014-05-14T10:43:51Z

In 8.4.1 the COBOL Copybook Importer has been improved.

The following is an extract from the 8.4.1 release notes ( http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27038390)

COBOL Copybook Importer
    There is a new COBOL Copybook Importer that addresses known limitations of the legacy COBOL Copybook Importer. For details about the limitations of the legacy COBOL Copybook Importer, which is still available, but is deprecated, see the related topics in the COBOL Copybook (Deprecated) Importer section of the Type Tree Importer documentation.

Some of the COBOL features that the new COBOL Copybook Importer supports are:

• Selecting multiple data structures from a single copybook or from multiple copybooks
    • Using as input, COBOL files with the following extensions: .cbl, .ccp, .cob, and .cpy
    • Importing the COBOL copybook from a full program or from a data structure only
    • Various USAGE clauses
    • Using the THROUGH or THRU options in the VALUES clause
    • Expanding embedded Copy clauses
    • Using the SYNCHRONIZED clause to synchronize data types
    • Allocating space in type trees for slack bytes
    • Automatically importing Occurs Depending On (ODO) restrictions
    • Automatically generating Choice groups for REDEFINE structures

For more details about these supported features, and the additional COBOL features that the new COBOL Copybook Importer supports, see the COBOL Copybook Importer section of the Type Tree Importer documentation.

I just installed the 8.4.1.2 Design Studio and can't find the new COBOL Copybook Importer.  The old (deprecated) one can be reached through File --> Import.  Neither of them are listed in the context menu --> Import.  Is there something I need to do to make the importer visible?  

Thanks, 

• GKearney
    GKearney
    52 Posts

‏2014-07-17T10:18:34Z  

I just installed the 8.4.1.2 Design Studio and can't find the new COBOL Copybook Importer.  The old (deprecated) one can be reached through File --> Import.  Neither of them are listed in the context menu --> Import.  Is there something I need to do to make the importer visible?  

Thanks, 

Hi,

Using 8.4.1.2 Design Studio when I select File then Import under Transformation Extender I can see

COBOL Copybook
    COBOL Cpoybook (Deprecated)

as the first two importers available.

• RichMcFate
    RichMcFate
    25 Posts

‏2014-07-18T21:17:56Z  
    • GKearney
    • ‏2014-07-17T10:18:34Z

Hi,

Using 8.4.1.2 Design Studio when I select File then Import under Transformation Extender I can see

COBOL Copybook
    COBOL Cpoybook (Deprecated)

as the first two importers available.

I don't see that.  The first item in my list is COBOL Copybook (deprecated).  Screen shot attached.

I can't tell if this is new with 8.4.1.2, because I don't remember using the feature in 8.4.1.1.   I'm pretty sure I had it in 8.4.1

Thanks,

Rich

• GKearney
    GKearney
    52 Posts

‏2014-07-21T09:31:29Z  

Thanks,

Rich

Hi,

I attach a screen print of what I see. The Cobol CopyBook was improved in 8.4.1. So you should see both the COBOL Copybook and
    COBOL Cpoybook (Deprecated) in the Design Studio for all versions of 8.4.1.x. I re-installed by 8.4.1.2 (I selected all options adapters etc) and I still see both importers. Have you tried to re-install ?.

Attachments

• GKearney
    GKearney
    52 Posts

‏2014-09-18T10:23:58Z  

Thanks,

Rich

Hi,

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21684407&myns=swgws&mynp=OCSSVSD8&mync=E

Updated on 2014-09-18T12:43:33Z at 2014-09-18T12:43:33Z by paul.brett
  • RichMcFate
    RichMcFate
    25 Posts

‏2014-10-05T21:56:10Z  
    • GKearney
    • ‏2014-09-18T10:23:58Z

Hi,

Thanks, Gertie.  That did the trick.

Rich