Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2017-04-02T15:58:39Z by Kevin Shum
Kevin Shum
Kevin Shum
3 Posts

Pinned topic Microprocessor Optimization Primer

‏2016-03-28T17:42:21Z | cache microprocessor performance pipeline system_z

About 2 months ago, Marcel Mitran (current CTO of IBM LinuxOne) and David Edelsohn (current CTO of GCC technology) asked me if we had any documentation to help development teams outside of IBM, that are working with LinuxOne and its related open source ecosystems, in terms of understanding and optimizing for our z microprocessors.  Across the development teams, we have published presentations and detail papers in IEEE Micro magazines, IBM's Journal of Research and Development, and other conferences.  However, we didn't have any readily available documentation for external use in this specific area.  So, I started putting together a presentation (from various sources that I could get my hands on) in this area.

Performance comes from a combination of hardware and software, and best performance is achieved when these are well-matched. My goal is that the presentation can be read and be easily understood by anyone interested in writing/generating code (binary code) for programs that are / will be running in the latest z System mainframes.  And as a result of reading this presentation, the reader can have an understanding of the basic mechanics behind the microprocessor, and have a feel on where/how to work the optimizations. 

This presentation covers z13 (IBM's latest z machine) in some details, but also included references back to the prior 3 generations: z10, z196 and zEC12.  It is by no means a comprehensive document and should only be used as an introduction to our architecture and design.  If there are materials (and interests) for an update, either for more in-depth topics, summaries of Q&As (from this forum or other means), or introduction of new machines after z13,  a newer version can be published.   

The primer is uploaded here:  IBM z Systems Processor Optimization Primer.pdfView Details

Enjoy, and please feel free to add your feedback here.

Lastly, thanks to all the IBMers who had helped reviewing this presentation for content and accuracy.  Your help is truly appreciated.

Updated on 2016-03-28T17:48:12Z at 2016-03-28T17:48:12Z by Kevin Shum
  • nealef
    nealef
    1 Post

Re: Microprocessor Optimization Primer

‏2016-03-28T18:44:03Z  

Excellent document! Thank you so much.

• Kevin Shum
    Kevin Shum
    3 Posts

‏2016-08-05T00:35:45Z  

I created a shorter version of the optimization presentation and presented it at SHARE Atlanta (Aug 2016).  This one is like a "primer to the primer". 

IBM z Systems Processor Optimization SHARE Aug 2016.pdfView Details

• Kevin Shum
    Kevin Shum
    3 Posts

‏2017-04-02T15:58:39Z  

I am planning to release an updated version towards the end of the year.

If any readers / users of the primer have a topic that you would like to get covered, or covered more, please let me through through this forum, or contact me directly at  cshum@us.ibm.com

Thanks!   I am quite excited that we have more than four thousands downloads on this document already.