11 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-10-09T18:26:55Z by llandale
burningrose
burningrose
9 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic DOORs Database Backup

‏2013-08-19T08:14:24Z |

Hello!

Having windows server 2003, I want to backup my IBM DOORs database so that if accidently i lost my windows i could recover it to the last saved backup (nothing lost).  I have read its internal help and archieve the projects and modules.  When I read its document from IBM site there are many  backup options seen there, I am confused.

Can anyone help me about it?

Thanks

Umair

• llandale
    llandale
    607 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: DOORs Database Backup

‏2013-08-19T16:19:57Z  in response to burningrose

Your IT folks should be able to backup the database file hierarchy in Windows.  I think that means turning off the DOORS service, backing up, then turning the service back on.  We do that weakly ..err.. weekly.  In the old days there would be a "full" backup every couple months and "incremental" backups weekly.  I hear tell now it is always "incremental" which means they must keep all the tape backups indefinately.

So if your database goes kaput you can recover back to last weekend.  If you want to only recover one module, you can "recover" into a different folder, start a new database pointing there, archive the module in question and then purge the one in the production database and restore the archive there.  More liklely you would want to archive-restore an entire project.

-Louie

• burningrose
    burningrose
    9 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-20T04:27:22Z  in response to burningrose

Hello!

If I am not wrong you are talking about the windows backup.  Well for that I am already taking backup of windows.  There is minimum chance that windows will crash.  So what if there is only problem with my database its better to restore the database rather than whole windows, so i want to take backup of only my database.  Is there any best solution for that so it take backup of everything in database and nothing lost when i recovered it?

Umair

• HazelWoodcock
      HazelWoodcock
      19 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-20T07:35:02Z  in response to burningrose

Louie was describing the DOORS database backup procedure. There is a DOORS service running which must be stopped before the files are copied and restarted after.  The file hierarchy where the data is held can then be copied.

• llandale
      llandale
      607 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-20T18:16:33Z  in response to burningrose

There should certainly be a windows based backup on your server that specifically targets the doors database folder hierarchy.  On further investigation (the Managing DOORS manual), you do "Full" and "Differencial" backups, specifically not "Incremental".  Not sure what that exactly means but IT folks do.

If that is done reliably you probably won't need to also log into DOORS and routinely archive all the Projects.  Be advised that a Project Archive will not include any inter-project links; source or target outside the Project.   You can cheat on that however, create a top-level folder, move projects under it, convert the folder to a project, archive THAT (top-level) project, then convert it back to a folder.  That single big archive will then include all the projects and will include any inter-project links between them.

-Louie

• PRM
        PRM
        17 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-20T23:48:20Z  in response to llandale

Difference between Incremental and Differential backups.

Incremental Backups - An incremental backup provides a backup of files that have changed or are new since the last incremental backup. In order to restore, you need the last Full back up, plus all subsequent incrementals up to the desired restore date. Can get messy if one of the incrementals in the sequence is missing or had failed, also takes longer to construct the restore.

Differential Backups - A differential backup provides a backup of files that have changed since the last full backup was performed. In order to restore, you need the last Full back up, plus the differential that was taken the day before the desired restore date. These can be quicker to restore, don't have to worry about joining multiple incrementals together.

There are other pro's and con's, Differentials seem to be preferred for databases.

Paul Miller
        Melbourne, Australia

• burningrose
    burningrose
    9 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-24T05:44:19Z  in response to burningrose

Hello

I used the internal archive and restore technique of DOORs.  when I restore after archiving it successfully restored the same database, but some other features did not restored as available in actually database.  Is there any way to restore them (except the above said backup and restore methods)?

Thanks

Umair

• Mike.Scharnow
      Mike.Scharnow
      7 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-24T05:56:34Z  in response to burningrose

Hello Umair,

please define "other features" - then we might tell you what to do.

Remember: restoring a module archive (.dma) will not restore the links from / to the module. restoring a project archive (.dpa) will not restore the links going outside of / inside into the project.

BR

Mike

• burningrose
        burningrose
        9 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-08T07:48:06Z  in response to Mike.Scharnow

Hello Mike,

Other features includes discussions in the project / module and other attachments etc.

Umair

• Mike.Scharnow
          Mike.Scharnow
          7 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-08T20:48:29Z  in response to burningrose

seems to me that discussions are not stored within a project archive.

DOORS stores discussions in an SQLite database at <doorsdata>\v6data\relData. This means that discussions are only restored when you restore a backup of the complete <doorsdata> directory.

Access rights will also not be stored in an archive, link restrictions will not be stored in a module archive, link sets will not be stored in a module archive.

What is "attachments" what is "etc".... ?

but I think in general it is safe to say that the actual data of the module is included in a module / project archive, but if you want more information to be restored you will need to save and restore the <doorsdata> directory.

Hope this helps,
          Mike

• llandale
            llandale
            607 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-09T18:26:55Z  in response to Mike.Scharnow

Tweak: Access Rights are stored in the Archive, but they are erased if you restore in some other database.  If you restore in the archive database (say, with a different project name) then the access rights are preserved.

• llandale
      llandale
      607 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-24T17:44:42Z  in response to burningrose

The project archive doesn't restore properly in some other database?  Well, all access records are set to "inherited" when you do so; there being no way to associate individual users/groups in DB-A with those in DB-B.