Topic
  • 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-09-09T00:09:24Z by aj_is_here
aj_is_here
aj_is_here
14 Posts

Pinned topic Similar exit function in Primitive operator

‏2013-09-02T12:01:42Z |

How to for terminate a operator or the whole job in streams.

• Stan
    Stan
    76 Posts

Re: Similar exit function in Primitive operator

‏2013-09-03T16:48:04Z  

Please clarify the question particularly what is meant by"

Similar exit funciton - similar to what?

What do you want to happen when a operator is terminated?

Are you looking to automate /  administer the applicaiton or job from with an operator?

Perhaps describing a processing scenario with the applicaiton graph and operators then under what condition you would want to perform an EXIT and what would be Exited / Stopped / Cancelled. 

How to cacel running jobs is documented here (canceljob/stopinstance) but I suspect this not what you mean by 'similar exit function'

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/streams/v3r1/topic/com.ibm.swg.im.infosphere.streams.install-admin.doc/doc/ibminfospherestreams-stopping-apps-and-instances.html

• aj_is_here
    aj_is_here
    14 Posts

‏2013-09-05T05:31:25Z  
    • Stan
    • ‏2013-09-03T16:48:04Z

Please clarify the question particularly what is meant by"

Similar exit funciton - similar to what?

What do you want to happen when a operator is terminated?

Are you looking to automate /  administer the applicaiton or job from with an operator?

Perhaps describing a processing scenario with the applicaiton graph and operators then under what condition you would want to perform an EXIT and what would be Exited / Stopped / Cancelled. 

How to cacel running jobs is documented here (canceljob/stopinstance) but I suspect this not what you mean by 'similar exit function'

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/streams/v3r1/topic/com.ibm.swg.im.infosphere.streams.install-admin.doc/doc/ibminfospherestreams-stopping-apps-and-instances.html

sorry for the incomplete details.

What I meant is the exit function of C++

exit(EXIT_FAILURE) or exit(1)

wherein I want to gracefully terminate my application If I encountered some certain error.

Thank You :D

• Stan
    Stan
    76 Posts

‏2013-09-05T16:59:08Z  

sorry for the incomplete details.

What I meant is the exit function of C++

exit(EXIT_FAILURE) or exit(1)

wherein I want to gracefully terminate my application If I encountered some certain error.

Thank You :D

Thank you for clarfying that point.  I don't know of a way to do this but it may be possible to code such an exit procedure to spawn a kill thread that performs a canceljob and / or stop instance.  I will ask the SPL team to comment on this.

• KanatT.
    KanatT.
    13 Posts

‏2013-09-05T20:51:48Z  
    • Stan
    • ‏2013-09-05T16:59:08Z

Thank you for clarfying that point.  I don't know of a way to do this but it may be possible to code such an exit procedure to spawn a kill thread that performs a canceljob and / or stop instance.  I will ask the SPL team to comment on this.

What behavior do you need from a graceful exit?  One idea is to use the C/C++'s exit function, which will cause the PE where your operator lives to fail---and separately, you write a script to monitor the health of the PEs, so you can cancel the job once you detect a dead PE.  Streams currently doesn't provide a mechanism from inside an operator to signal the other operators to wind down and eventually abort a job.

• Kevin_Foster
    Kevin_Foster
    98 Posts

‏2013-09-07T23:02:58Z  
    • KanatT.
    • ‏2013-09-05T20:51:48Z

What behavior do you need from a graceful exit?  One idea is to use the C/C++'s exit function, which will cause the PE where your operator lives to fail---and separately, you write a script to monitor the health of the PEs, so you can cancel the job once you detect a dead PE.  Streams currently doesn't provide a mechanism from inside an operator to signal the other operators to wind down and eventually abort a job.

Or if you want to cancel the entire job, there are SPL functions that will return the instance name and job ID.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/streams/v3r1/topic/com.ibm.swg.im.infosphere.streams.spl-standard-toolkit-builtins.doc/spl-builtins.html?resultof=%22%63%65%69%6c%22%20

I'd probably create an additional output port on my C++ or Java operator whose only purpose is to trigger the shutdown sequence in a downstream Custom operator. With those functions you could formulate a streamtool command and run that with the LinuxPipe operator.

Would probably also be a good idea to create a log record entry as part of the shutdown sequence.

-Kevin

• aj_is_here
    aj_is_here
    14 Posts

‏2013-09-09T00:05:59Z  
    • KanatT.
    • ‏2013-09-05T20:51:48Z

Actually when I tried exit(EXIT_FAILURE) it shows the application is unhealthy, but the problem I have is I encounter data loss, when the PE before the element keeps on sending data, and I am unable to rollback the data because it keeps on running and processing. Although your suggestion is a good idea if I see the whole job as unhealthy I'll just cancel the job from a different application.

• aj_is_here
    aj_is_here
    14 Posts

‏2013-09-09T00:08:33Z  

Or if you want to cancel the entire job, there are SPL functions that will return the instance name and job ID.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/streams/v3r1/topic/com.ibm.swg.im.infosphere.streams.spl-standard-toolkit-builtins.doc/spl-builtins.html?resultof=%22%63%65%69%6c%22%20

I'd probably create an additional output port on my C++ or Java operator whose only purpose is to trigger the shutdown sequence in a downstream Custom operator. With those functions you could formulate a streamtool command and run that with the LinuxPipe operator.

Would probably also be a good idea to create a log record entry as part of the shutdown sequence.

-Kevin

Hi Sir Kevin,

So if the PE becomes unhealthy ill just submit a data stream from the shutdown process function in a primitive operator? and receive from the custom operator to cancel the job.

Thanks.

• aj_is_here
    aj_is_here
    14 Posts

‏2013-09-09T00:09:24Z  

Hi Sir Kevin,

So if the PE becomes unhealthy ill just submit a data stream from the shutdown process function in a primitive operator? and receive from the custom operator to cancel the job.

Thanks.

In the custom operator, do you mean I should use the abort function? from the function list?