• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-07-19T18:03:04Z by KaranBal
PoulomiGupta
PoulomiGupta
105 Posts

Pinned topic Items are stuck in Automated Workflow Step

‏2013-07-18T13:22:26Z |

Hi,

Lots of items are stuck in a custom Automated Step. For an item (stuck in that step) when I am manually trying to move the item, ( After item open  - > option -> Fail)   in workflow step OUT function  nothing is getting written though I have put logger at the very beginning of out function.

In Default log i am getting below warning.

2013-07-18 05:49:41,375 [jsp_834: moveEntriesToNextStep.wpc] WARN  com.ibm.ccd.element.common.AbstractEntry - CWPEL0005W:EntryNode::getXMLRepresentationPrefix was not implemented.

Please help if you have any idea.

Regards

Poulomi.

• KaranBal
    KaranBal
    108 Posts

Re: Items are stuck in Automated Workflow Step

‏2013-07-18T16:27:06Z  

Please ignore the warning this warning message. The product is printing them in error and shouldn't be.

The message comes from a base class method that is expecting the method to be overridden in derived classes, to generate a prefix for the XML representation. The message was intended to warn the implementer of a derived class if the overriding method was not implemented. It later turned out that no prefix was necessary, so the overriding methods were not implemented. The base class method returns a null string for the prefix, which is fine. The warning message should have been removed but was not. The warning can be safely ignored.

As for the items not moving, try temporarily removing the IN and OUT method and check if the item moves successfully. if it does, then there is a flaw in your code and needs to be reviewed. If it still doesn't, then the data in the item is not good.

• PoulomiGupta
    PoulomiGupta
    105 Posts

‏2013-07-19T09:50:36Z  
    • KaranBal
    • ‏2013-07-18T16:27:06Z

Please ignore the warning this warning message. The product is printing them in error and shouldn't be.

The message comes from a base class method that is expecting the method to be overridden in derived classes, to generate a prefix for the XML representation. The message was intended to warn the implementer of a derived class if the overriding method was not implemented. It later turned out that no prefix was necessary, so the overriding methods were not implemented. The base class method returns a null string for the prefix, which is fine. The warning message should have been removed but was not. The warning can be safely ignored.

As for the items not moving, try temporarily removing the IN and OUT method and check if the item moves successfully. if it does, then there is a flaw in your code and needs to be reviewed. If it still doesn't, then the data in the item is not good.

Hi Karan,

Thanks for your reply.

Today what I found manually when I am trying to move item  ( After item open  - > option -> Fail) it is working fine . also logs are getting printed in OUT function of the step but otherwise all items are stuck, total 98.

Workflow engine working fine ,I have verified.

As you have said data in the item is not good ,how can I verify that? Is there any way? Is there any workflow information within the item missing?

Regards,

poulomi

• KaranBal
    KaranBal
    108 Posts

‏2013-07-19T18:03:04Z  

Hi Karan,

Thanks for your reply.

Today what I found manually when I am trying to move item  ( After item open  - > option -> Fail) it is working fine . also logs are getting printed in OUT function of the step but otherwise all items are stuck, total 98.

Workflow engine working fine ,I have verified.

As you have said data in the item is not good ,how can I verify that? Is there any way? Is there any workflow information within the item missing?

Regards,

poulomi

98 random items containing bad data seems unlikely unless one of the workflow steps has a script which is setting an attribute value incorrectly. Still I would expect the error to be logged in the $TOP/logs/workflowengine_<Server_NAme>/exception.log or default.log. Can you please check again? Maybe you only looked at the appserver logs previously.

If the workflow engine is not down (you can be extra sure by running start_local.sh), then its either custom code in the workflow steps setting data incorrectly or a product limitation. If its custom code, then there ought to be something in the logs or you can try testing by temporarily removing scripts from the IN and OUT functions or the preceding step script. If you are able to move it without the script, then it indicates a flaw in code logic.

There have been a few APAR fixes in recent releases and so if it seems like a limitation, you should open a PMR: https://www-947.ibm.com/support/servicerequest