Topic
  • 17 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2019-03-18T05:27:57Z by VishDev2018
VishDev2018
VishDev2018
65 Posts

Pinned topic New version of IBM Data Server Provider for .NET Core

‏2018-03-15T07:21:20Z | .net 2.0 core mac net standard

We are pleased to announce a new version of IBM Data Server Provider for .NET Core.  Highlights of the current release are

• macOS support
  • Support for reverse engineering
  • Support for .NET Standard 2.0 Compatibility.

Packages are available at : 

https://www.nuget.org/packages/IBM.Data.DB2.Core/1.2.2.100

https://www.nuget.org/packages/IBM.Data.DB2.Core-lnx/1.2.2.100

https://www.nuget.org/packages/IBM.Data.DB2.Core-osx/1.2.2.100

More information is available at 

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/96960515-2ea1-4391-8170-b0515d08e4da/entry/DB2DotnetCore?lang=en

Updated on 2018-03-15T07:22:08Z at 2018-03-15T07:22:08Z by VishDev2018
  • JacobJeske
    JacobJeske
    3 Posts

Re: New version of IBM Data Server Provider for .NET Core

‏2018-03-28T21:03:26Z  

Is the IBM.Data.DB2.Core 1.2.2.100 package supposed to be compatible with azure?

I had my application working fine locally, but once I deployed to azure I got the "db2app64.dll" could not be loaded 0x8007007E. Which looks like a mismatch in architecture. 

And this was after I had installed the "win10-x64" dotnet runtime on the azure instance. (Which is necessary to get a .net core 2.0 x64 app working. https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/webdev/2018/01/09/64-bit-asp-net-core-on-azure-app-service/)

I actually got it working by making my own package which is a combination of the IBM.Data.DB2.Core 1.2.2.100 package, and the IBM.Data.DB.Provider 11.1.3030.4 package. Pretty much just including more dll's in the clidriver folder. 
    I can upload the package if others would find it helpful.

But I just wanted to confirm that IBM.Data.DB2.Core was not supposed to work with azure out of the box?

• cejensen
    cejensen
    1 Post

‏2018-03-29T02:48:09Z  

Is the IBM.Data.DB2.Core 1.2.2.100 package supposed to be compatible with azure?

I had my application working fine locally, but once I deployed to azure I got the "db2app64.dll" could not be loaded 0x8007007E. Which looks like a mismatch in architecture. 

And this was after I had installed the "win10-x64" dotnet runtime on the azure instance. (Which is necessary to get a .net core 2.0 x64 app working. https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/webdev/2018/01/09/64-bit-asp-net-core-on-azure-app-service/)

I actually got it working by making my own package which is a combination of the IBM.Data.DB2.Core 1.2.2.100 package, and the IBM.Data.DB.Provider 11.1.3030.4 package. Pretty much just including more dll's in the clidriver folder. 

But I just wanted to confirm that IBM.Data.DB2.Core was not supposed to work with azure out of the box?

Hi JacobJeske.

This would appear to be the exact issue I am facing at the moment. If you could upload the package that would be great. I am fairly new to using NuGet packages and Azure, so the more details you can provide the better. You will help me look really good in front of the boss if I can get this over theline!

Updated on 2018-03-29T02:48:35Z at 2018-03-29T02:48:35Z by cejensen
  • VishDev2018
    VishDev2018
    65 Posts

‏2018-03-29T04:52:40Z  

Hi JacobJeske,

Currently IBM.Data.DB2.Core is not supposed to work with azure out of the box. We have it in our plans, but it is not yet fully tested for many of azure scenarios and is not yet certified for azure. 

Thanks

Vishwa

• JacobJeske
    JacobJeske
    3 Posts

‏2018-03-29T14:00:31Z  
    • cejensen
    • ‏2018-03-29T02:48:09Z

Hi JacobJeske.

This would appear to be the exact issue I am facing at the moment. If you could upload the package that would be great. I am fairly new to using NuGet packages and Azure, so the more details you can provide the better. You will help me look really good in front of the boss if I can get this over theline!

I actually cant post the nuget package here because technically the organization I work for owns the code. BUT I can tell you how to make your own, its not too hard. 

1. Download IBM.Data.DB2.Core 1.2.2.100 (https://www.nuget.org/packages/IBM.Data.DB2.Core/1.2.2.100) and IBM. Data. DB. Provider 11.1.3030.4 (https://www.nuget.org/packages/IBM.Data.DB.Provider/11.1.3030.4)
    2. Download "Nuget Package Explorer".
    3. Using Nuget Package explorer export the packages to respective directories. 
    4. Copy all the folders in "\IBM.Data.DB.Provider\build\clidriver" (bin, bnd, cfg, conv, db2, lib, license, msg)
    5. Past them into "\IBM.Data.DB2.Core\build\clidriver" and make sure to "replace\over write" the dll's with the same name when prompted. 
    6. Open up "\IBM.Data.DB2.Core\IBM.Data.DB2.Core.nuspec" in a diff tool like beyond compare, along side with "\IBM.Data.DB.Provider\IBM.Data.DB.Provider.nuspec" (the nuspec file names will have the version numbers in the name, I removed the version and the space for easier packing).
    7. All you want to compare is everything in the <files></files> node. Copy over any <file src="..." target="..." /> from the IBM.Data.DB.Provder.nuspec that is not in IBM.Data.DB2.Core.nuspec pertaining to the "\build\clidriver" directory. 
    8. Save the IBM.Data.DB2.Core.nuspec file.
    9. Run command "nuget pack IBM.Data.DB2.Core.nuspec" from the "\IBM.Data.DB2.Core" directory.
    10. And boom, the package should work in azure.

Notes:

- If you do change the name of the package, make sure the name in the nuspec file <id></id> is changed to match as well and that you also change the name of the file "\build\IBM.Data.DB2.Core.targets" and its corresponding <file /> node in the nuspec file as well.

- I used the option 2 in this article to get the "win10-x64" runtime installed (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/webdev/2018/01/09/64-bit-asp-net-core-on-azure-app-service/) (web.config method)

- The runtime i used is "dotnet-sdk-2.1.101-win-x64.zip". https://www.microsoft.com/net/download/thank-you/dotnet-sdk-2.1.101-windows-x64-binaries 

Hope that helps, the package is passing all our test for our DB2 application, but as Vishwa said its not tested or certified by IBM or Azure. There is a possibility that some features may be not working because they are out of scope of my organizations test coverage. 

Updated on 2018-03-29T14:02:39Z at 2018-03-29T14:02:39Z by JacobJeske
  • alekz1287
    alekz1287
    7 Posts

‏2018-07-31T14:14:48Z  

Thank you for this, JacobJeske!

Just burned several days trying to get this working on Azure and if not for you, I would still be struggling with it.

So far I'm very disappointed with IBM's implementation. The licensing nonsense already cost us a couple days and still isn't sorted out. Finally we get connected only to find that we can't deploy to Azure :(

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Stitching together the two packages has not resolved our issues :(

Updated on 2018-08-07T17:36:05Z at 2018-08-07T17:36:05Z by alekz1287
  • alekz1287
    alekz1287
    7 Posts

‏2018-08-08T14:09:02Z  

I actually cant post the nuget package here because technically the organization I work for owns the code. BUT I can tell you how to make your own, its not too hard. 

1. Download IBM.Data.DB2.Core 1.2.2.100 (https://www.nuget.org/packages/IBM.Data.DB2.Core/1.2.2.100) and IBM. Data. DB. Provider 11.1.3030.4 (https://www.nuget.org/packages/IBM.Data.DB.Provider/11.1.3030.4)
    2. Download "Nuget Package Explorer".
    3. Using Nuget Package explorer export the packages to respective directories. 
    4. Copy all the folders in "\IBM.Data.DB.Provider\build\clidriver" (bin, bnd, cfg, conv, db2, lib, license, msg)
    5. Past them into "\IBM.Data.DB2.Core\build\clidriver" and make sure to "replace\over write" the dll's with the same name when prompted. 
    6. Open up "\IBM.Data.DB2.Core\IBM.Data.DB2.Core.nuspec" in a diff tool like beyond compare, along side with "\IBM.Data.DB.Provider\IBM.Data.DB.Provider.nuspec" (the nuspec file names will have the version numbers in the name, I removed the version and the space for easier packing).
    7. All you want to compare is everything in the <files></files> node. Copy over any <file src="..." target="..." /> from the IBM.Data.DB.Provder.nuspec that is not in IBM.Data.DB2.Core.nuspec pertaining to the "\build\clidriver" directory. 
    8. Save the IBM.Data.DB2.Core.nuspec file.
    9. Run command "nuget pack IBM.Data.DB2.Core.nuspec" from the "\IBM.Data.DB2.Core" directory.
    10. And boom, the package should work in azure.

Notes:

- If you do change the name of the package, make sure the name in the nuspec file <id></id> is changed to match as well and that you also change the name of the file "\build\IBM.Data.DB2.Core.targets" and its corresponding <file /> node in the nuspec file as well.

- I used the option 2 in this article to get the "win10-x64" runtime installed (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/webdev/2018/01/09/64-bit-asp-net-core-on-azure-app-service/) (web.config method)

- The runtime i used is "dotnet-sdk-2.1.101-win-x64.zip". https://www.microsoft.com/net/download/thank-you/dotnet-sdk-2.1.101-windows-x64-binaries 

Hope that helps, the package is passing all our test for our DB2 application, but as Vishwa said its not tested or certified by IBM or Azure. There is a possibility that some features may be not working because they are out of scope of my organizations test coverage. 

JacobJeske,

Any chance you can elaborate on this? I've followed the instructions very carefully but still cannot this to behave once deployed to Azure. The errors I'm getting range from "AccessViolationException" to "ArgumentOutOfRangeException". Both of which (through much, much digging) seem to result from library referencing issues. 

Are there any additional tweaks that had to be made to your Azure environment? Setting PATH variables? Folder structure? Anything?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• JacobJeske
    JacobJeske
    3 Posts

‏2018-08-08T14:37:08Z  
    • alekz1287
    • ‏2018-08-08T14:09:02Z

JacobJeske,

Any chance you can elaborate on this? I've followed the instructions very carefully but still cannot this to behave once deployed to Azure. The errors I'm getting range from "AccessViolationException" to "ArgumentOutOfRangeException". Both of which (through much, much digging) seem to result from library referencing issues. 

Are there any additional tweaks that had to be made to your Azure environment? Setting PATH variables? Folder structure? Anything?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Are you able to share a stack trace?

Just some basic checks:

- Are you using .Net Core 1 or 2? (I am using .net core 2.0)

- Are you running the project in x64 runtime?

- Make sure you have all the files from "\IBM.Data.DB.Provider\build\clidriver" copied over, and new <file> added to the .nuspec file. (you should have x64 and x86 dll's in there)

- I also have "Allow unsafe code" checked in my database project (where the nuget packages are installed)

- If you are using the "IBM.EntityFramework.Core" nuget package you will also have to re-make that package with your "IBM.Data.DB2.Core" package as its dependency.

- Also make sure the .targets file in the build folder is named the same as the nuget package and its in the <files> node of the nuspec file.

But without more info on the error its hard to know whats really going wrong. 

• alekz1287
    alekz1287
    7 Posts

‏2018-08-08T15:13:40Z  

Are you able to share a stack trace?

Just some basic checks:

- Make sure you have all the files from "\IBM.Data.DB.Provider\build\clidriver" copied over, and new <file> added to the .nuspec file. (you should have x64 and x86 dll's in there)

- I also have "Allow unsafe code" checked in my database project (where the nuget packages are installed)

- If you are using the "IBM.EntityFramework.Core" nuget package you will also have to re-make that package with your "IBM.Data.DB2.Core" package as its dependency.

- Also make sure the .targets file in the build folder is named the same as the nuget package and its in the <files> node of the nuspec file.

But without more info on the error its hard to know whats really going wrong. 

.net Core 2.0

Yes

Confirmed

Confirmed

I HAVE NOT DONE THIS! I will try it now!

Confirmed.

Many thanks for replying to this!

Here's the relevant stack trace:

"ClassName": "System.DllNotFoundException",
      "Message": "Unable to load DLL 'db2app64.dll' or one of its dependencies: The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)",
      "Data": null,
      "InnerException": null,
      "HelpURL": null,
      "StackTraceString": "   at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.UnsafeNativeMethods.DB232.SQLFreeConnAttribsADONET(DB2SQLGetConnAttribsADONETParams& pParam)\r\n   at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.DB2ConnPool.ReplaceConnectionStringParms(DB2Connection connection, String szValue, DB2ConnSettings& pSettings, DB2ConnSettingsInternal& pSettingsInternal, Boolean bAttach, Boolean pushDownStrAppended)\r\n   at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.DB2Connection.set_ConnectionString(String value)\r\n   at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.DB2Connection..ctor(String connectionString)\r\n   at IBM.EntityFrameworkCore.Storage.Internal.Db2SqlConnection.CreateDbConnection()\r\n   at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Internal.LazyRef`1.get_Value()\r\n   at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Storage.RelationalConnection.Open(Boolean errorsExpected)\r\n   at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.Internal.QueryingEnumerable`1.Enumerator.BufferlessMoveNext(DbContext _, Boolean buffer)\r\n   at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.Internal.QueryingEnumerable`1.Enumerator.MoveNext()\r\n   at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.Internal.LinqOperatorProvider._TrackEntities[TOut,TIn](IEnumerable`1 results, QueryContext queryContext, IList`1 entityTrackingInfos, IList`1 entityAccessors)+MoveNext()\r\n   at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.Internal.LinqOperatorProvider.ExceptionInterceptor`1.EnumeratorExceptionInterceptor.MoveNext()\r\n   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.AddEnumerable(IEnumerable`1 enumerable)\r\n   

Updated on 2018-08-08T17:25:52Z at 2018-08-08T17:25:52Z by alekz1287
  • alekz1287
    alekz1287
    7 Posts

‏2018-08-08T18:28:58Z  
    • alekz1287
    • ‏2018-08-08T15:13:40Z

.net Core 2.0

Yes

Confirmed

Confirmed

I HAVE NOT DONE THIS! I will try it now!

Confirmed.

Many thanks for replying to this!

Here's the relevant stack trace:

"ClassName": "System.DllNotFoundException",
      "Message": "Unable to load DLL 'db2app64.dll' or one of its dependencies: The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)",
      "Data": null,
      "InnerException": null,
      "HelpURL": null,
      "StackTraceString": "   at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.UnsafeNativeMethods.DB232.SQLFreeConnAttribsADONET(DB2SQLGetConnAttribsADONETParams& pParam)\r\n   at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.DB2ConnPool.ReplaceConnectionStringParms(DB2Connection connection, String szValue, DB2ConnSettings& pSettings, DB2ConnSettingsInternal& pSettingsInternal, Boolean bAttach, Boolean pushDownStrAppended)\r\n   at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.DB2Connection.set_ConnectionString(String value)\r\n   at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.DB2Connection..ctor(String connectionString)\r\n   at IBM.EntityFrameworkCore.Storage.Internal.Db2SqlConnection.CreateDbConnection()\r\n   at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Internal.LazyRef`1.get_Value()\r\n   at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Storage.RelationalConnection.Open(Boolean errorsExpected)\r\n   at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.Internal.QueryingEnumerable`1.Enumerator.BufferlessMoveNext(DbContext _, Boolean buffer)\r\n   at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.Internal.QueryingEnumerable`1.Enumerator.MoveNext()\r\n   at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.Internal.LinqOperatorProvider._TrackEntities[TOut,TIn](IEnumerable`1 results, QueryContext queryContext, IList`1 entityTrackingInfos, IList`1 entityAccessors)+MoveNext()\r\n   at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Query.Internal.LinqOperatorProvider.ExceptionInterceptor`1.EnumeratorExceptionInterceptor.MoveNext()\r\n   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.AddEnumerable(IEnumerable`1 enumerable)\r\n   

I've gone through the procedure a third time.

• Combined IBM.Data.DB.Provider and IBM.Data.DB2.Core and packed into a new package.
    • Updated the IBM.EntityFramework.Core nuget package to reference this new package as a dependency.
    • Added the new IBM.EntityFramework.Core package to my solution.
    • When I do this, it appears to correctly pull in the dependencies. A "clidriver" folder and its contents are added to the solution as well.
    • Locally, I can successfully connect to DB2.
    • Publish to azure and try to hit the database using EntityFramework and I get a new error:
      Name Value Type
    $exception {System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.} System.AccessViolationException
      StackTrace null string

I've tried inserting my DB2 license in various places to rule out another licensing issue but no luck.

Anyone encountered this error?

• VishDev2018
    VishDev2018
    65 Posts

‏2018-09-19T21:03:14Z  
    • alekz1287
    • ‏2018-08-08T18:28:58Z

I've gone through the procedure a third time.

• Combined IBM.Data.DB.Provider and IBM.Data.DB2.Core and packed into a new package.
    • Updated the IBM.EntityFramework.Core nuget package to reference this new package as a dependency.
    • Added the new IBM.EntityFramework.Core package to my solution.
    • When I do this, it appears to correctly pull in the dependencies. A "clidriver" folder and its contents are added to the solution as well.
    • Locally, I can successfully connect to DB2.
    • Publish to azure and try to hit the database using EntityFramework and I get a new error:
      Name Value Type
    $exception {System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.} System.AccessViolationException
      StackTrace null string

I've tried inserting my DB2 license in various places to rule out another licensing issue but no luck.

Anyone encountered this error?

Hi,

the required support will be there in our next version. You should be able to use the package as is without having to modify anything in it.

Thanks

Vishwa

• roysaberon
    roysaberon
    1 Post

‏2018-11-16T10:28:09Z  

Hi,

the required support will be there in our next version. You should be able to use the package as is without having to modify anything in it.

Thanks

Vishwa

Hi Vishwa, 

Any update on when the next version is coming? As of today, the problem of the data providers for web apps deployed in Azure is still there. 

Thanks

Roy

• PrashanthKarnam
    PrashanthKarnam
    2 Posts

‏2018-11-28T05:25:31Z  

Dear All,

We have released a new Db2 .Net Core driver package which supports Microsoft Azure.

Please let us know if you face any issues.

https://www.nuget.org/packages/IBM.Data.Db2.Core

Install-Package IBM.Data.DB2.Core -Version 1.3.0.100

Thanks,

Prashanth Karnam.

• PrashanthKarnam
    PrashanthKarnam
    2 Posts

‏2018-11-28T05:25:53Z  

Hi Vishwa, 

Any update on when the next version is coming? As of today, the problem of the data providers for web apps deployed in Azure is still there. 

Thanks

Roy

Dear All,

We have released a new Db2 .Net Core driver package which supports Microsoft Azure.

Thanks,

Prashanth Karnam.

• Selfkun
    Selfkun
    1 Post

‏2018-11-28T16:13:54Z  

Dear All,

Thanks,

Prashanth Karnam.

I'm working on a UWP (Universal Windows Platform) project that uses .NET Core, and I updated to this most recent IBM.Data.DB2.Core version in hopes to fix an error, but it didn't.  My code still crashes.

I also copied the details and that is below.

"System.DllNotFoundException
      HResult=0x80131524
      Message=Unable to load DLL 'db2app64.dll' or one of its dependencies: The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
      Source=IBM.Data.DB2.Core
      StackTrace:
       at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.UnsafeNativeMethods.DB232.SQLFreeConnAttribsADONET(DB2SQLGetConnAttribsADONETParams& pParam)
       at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.ConnSettingsFromXmlConfig.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
       at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.ConnSettingsFromXmlConfig.Dispose()
       at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.DB2ConnPool.ReplaceConnectionStringParms(DB2Connection connection, String szValue, DB2ConnSettings& pSettings, DB2ConnSettingsInternal& pSettingsInternal, Boolean bAttach, Boolean pushDownStrAppended)
       at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.DB2Connection.set_ConnectionString(String value)
       at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.DB2Connection..ctor(String connectionString)
       at Password_Encryptor.Common.Hash.CountSQL() in C:\Users\rwselfr\Documents\HashProject\Password_Encryptor\Common\Hash.cs:line 38
       at Password_Encryptor.Common.Hash.EncryptPasswords(String pDate) in C:\Users\rwselfr\Documents\HashProject\Password_Encryptor\Common\Hash.cs:line 21
       at Password_Encryptor.UserControls.EncryptView.Button_Click(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e) in C:\Users\rwselfr\Documents\HashProject\Password_Encryptor\UserControls\EncryptView.xaml.cs:line 36

"

Any help would be appreciated.

• VigneshPrasadV
    VigneshPrasadV
    7 Posts

‏2019-01-02T09:27:39Z  

Hi,

On executing stored procedure in rhel7.6/debian docker container, getting this exception. It works good on query. I have DB2 z/OS.

Unhandled Exception: IBM.Data.DB2.Core.DB2Exception: ERROR [40003] [IBM] CLI0108E  Communication link failure. SQLSTATE=40003[IBM] CLI0108E  Communication link failure. SQLSTATE=40003
       at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.DB2ConnPool.Close(Object pObject, Boolean bError, Boolean bFlushPool)
       at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.DBCWrapper.CloseAndRelease(Boolean bError, Boolean bFlushPool)
       at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.DB2Connection.DisposeClose()
       at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.DB2Connection.Close()
       at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.DB2Connection.HandleErrorNoThrow(IntPtr hHandle, SQL_HANDLE hType, RETCODE retcode, Boolean markForCleanup)
       at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.DB2Connection.HandleErrorNoThrow(IntPtr hHandle, SQL_HANDLE hType, RETCODE retcode)
       at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.DB2Command.ExecuteReaderObject(CommandBehavior behavior, String method, DB2CursorType reqCursorType, Boolean abortOnOptValueChg, Boolean skipDeleted, Boolean isResultSet, Int32 maxRows, Boolean skipInitialValidation)
       at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.DB2Command.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
       at IBM.Data.DB2.Core.DB2Command.ExecuteReader()

• Matthew Lea
    Matthew Lea
    1 Post

‏2019-03-16T17:00:31Z  

Can you please share instructions for obtaining a trial license?  We are attempting to use the driver in an Azure Function App to access DB2 on iSeries.  It is throwing an error stating an invalid license file.

Thanks.

• VishDev2018
    VishDev2018
    65 Posts

‏2019-03-18T05:27:57Z  

Can you please share instructions for obtaining a trial license?  We are attempting to use the driver in an Azure Function App to access DB2 on iSeries.  It is throwing an error stating an invalid license file.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have shared the instructions file with you. Please follow the instructions in the file to get the trial license.

Thanks and regards

Vishwa