Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-06-25T13:12:34Z by jvogel-11
Shiva PS
Shiva PS
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Network Concept Diagram Customization

‏2013-04-17T16:50:20Z |

We have two questions about the network concept diagram, mainly to do with the links between devices:

1.       Can the links be classified between different types of Ethernet. Ie, FiberOptic (SX/FX), 1000BaseT, 100BaseT etc?  Can these be represented with different colours or labels on the resulting diagram?

2.       Can the end points of each link be given a unique label?  e.g.  A link between a router and a switch…on the router end the cable is plugged in Ga0/1 and on the switch end the cable is plugged into Fa01/24.  We would like to be able to tag this information in the database, and have it show up in a resulting network diagram.  Attached you can find the example.

Also, what is the recommended approach handling Patch Panels between rooms/buildings?

I guess the basis for our questions is in moving from a "Network Concept Diagram" to actual documenting the physical connections of the network.

Updated on 2013-04-18T19:29:25Z at 2013-04-18T19:29:25Z by Shiva PS
  • rac1702
    rac1702
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Network Concept Diagram Customization

‏2013-06-16T20:35:19Z  in response to Shiva PS
  • jvogel-11
    jvogel-11
    51 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Network Concept Diagram Customization

‏2013-06-25T13:12:34Z  in response to Shiva PS

What does the Fa and Ga stand for?  I am assuming that they are jacks/ports, but I am just not familiar with that prefix.  They probably could be assigned different colors based on their classification (via the analyzer function or by custom macro).  I would think you can have special tags on these diagrams much like the cardinality/ordinality on relational database diagrams, though I havent yet tried it myself.   You may want to develop a special type of patch-panel diagram as you start to go from a high-level Logical Network Concept to a  detailed Physical Network diagram.