Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-07-16T18:54:46Z by tcassid
paunus
paunus
162 Posts

Pinned topic VOB/registry server migration, now get errors trying to register views

‏2013-07-13T17:27:06Z |

Migrated our VOB server(s) this weekend, and from what I can tell they are up and running OK on the new server now.

I didn't touch the view server.. however, our main VOB server unfortunately is also the registry server.  So, I have to re-register all the views now. (approx 2000)

Creating a new view seems to be fine.
Note, we re-used the same hostname for the registry/primary vob server, so even though it is a new server, its the same hostname as before.

Even though nothing has changed on the view server, when I try to register the views, I am getting permission errors .. as far as I can tell everything looks fine permission wise?

Renaming .hostinfo works... but I can't do that for 2000 views.  

Is "fix_prot" the only other solution I wonder - and wouldn't that require me manually entering the specific view owner/group for each one (also too time consuming  )

Or, is this indeed something that can be fixed VOB-side ?

example:
C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\RationalSDLC\ClearCase\etc\utils>cleartool register -
view \\lsec-ccview\viewstore\LSEC\cheng\cheng_ARPPDM_PRJ_int.vws
cleartool: Error: Failed to record hostname "lsec-ccview" in storage directory "
D:\viewstore\LSEC\cheng\cheng_ARPPDM_PRJ_int.vws". Check that root or the ClearCase administrators group has permission to write to this directory.
cleartool: Error: Unable to add a registry entry for "\\lsec-ccview\viewstore\LSEC\cheng\cheng_ARPPDM_PRJ_int.vws": error detected by ClearCase subsystem

• GKellner
    GKellner
    259 Posts

Re: VOB/registry server migration, now get errors trying to register views

‏2013-07-15T11:07:02Z  

I know this problem if the access right aren't set correctly.

I delete the .hostname, because it's easier than fix_prot.

But why do you need to re-register the Views?
    Have you deleted the registry files?
    Even after moving the registry server to a new machine, all the ressources should be available.

greetings georg.

• benray
    benray
    74 Posts

‏2013-07-15T14:03:51Z  
    • GKellner
    • ‏2013-07-15T11:07:02Z

I know this problem if the access right aren't set correctly.

I delete the .hostname, because it's easier than fix_prot.

But why do you need to re-register the Views?
    Have you deleted the registry files?
    Even after moving the registry server to a new machine, all the ressources should be available.

greetings georg.

Georg makes good points. It sounds like you migrated the vobs to a new server with a clean registry rather than migrating the registry and reregistering/tagging the vobs. So yes in this case you would need to add any existing views to the new registry.

There is no harm in removing .hostname as it will be rewritten on register. If you do need to know why it fails being re-written with the (presumably same view server) hostname you may want to open a PMR so we can look at the permissions on that storage location and perhaps a network trace captured during a failed register.

If you still have the old registry files, you could write a script to go through the local or global storage paths for each view and just delete "<view storage path>\.hostname".

• benray
    benray
    74 Posts

‏2013-07-15T14:12:53Z  
    • benray
    • ‏2013-07-15T14:03:51Z

Georg makes good points. It sounds like you migrated the vobs to a new server with a clean registry rather than migrating the registry and reregistering/tagging the vobs. So yes in this case you would need to add any existing views to the new registry.

There is no harm in removing .hostname as it will be rewritten on register. If you do need to know why it fails being re-written with the (presumably same view server) hostname you may want to open a PMR so we can look at the permissions on that storage location and perhaps a network trace captured during a failed register.

If you still have the old registry files, you could write a script to go through the local or global storage paths for each view and just delete "<view storage path>\.hostname".

By the way, on Windows .hostname is written by the albd account. You are using the same albd account/clearcase admin group across the environment, yes? If not you will run into more problems going forward. You might try running lsacl on the .hostname file in some working & non-working views. eg:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\RationalSDLC\ClearCase\etc\utils\lsacl.EXE <view storage>\.hostname

• tcassid
    tcassid
    20 Posts

‏2013-07-16T18:54:46Z  

There is also an excellent IBM technote on this error message.  http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21234135

If the ALBD user and ClearCase Administrators group changed, then the fix_prot -replace command should be run.  See the below not in technote www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21142606

Note: Windows Only. If the ClearCase administrators group name has changed or you have moved a view to a new domain that has a different SID for this group, then the -replace_server_process_group switch is required.