Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-08-05T18:42:27Z by M3NG_Richard_Wolters
M3NG_Richard_Wolters
18 Posts

Pinned topic Execute Query - Does it lock the database while reading?

‏2013-07-30T18:09:01Z |

Hi,

Does the execute query activity lock the database while reading?

It seems to be very picky and not want to accept anything but select statements.

If possible, I would like to make them uncommitted reads, as I have an orchestration set up to do parallel processing, so it's possible many execute queries could be happening at the same time.

I'd want to put something like:

SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ UNCOMMITTED

Best Regards,

Richard Wolters

• Katherine Sanders
    Katherine Sanders
    47 Posts

Re: Execute Query - Does it lock the database while reading?

‏2013-07-31T10:12:46Z  

The execute query activity does not lock the database, and you can have several jobs querying the same table in parallel.  You just use a standard select statement and you get the behaviour you want by default.

• YPS1_guybrush_guybrush
    46 Posts

‏2013-08-02T05:13:12Z  

The execute query activity does not lock the database, and you can have several jobs querying the same table in parallel.  You just use a standard select statement and you get the behaviour you want by default.

It only supports SELECT statement and also pretty picky especially if you're using input parameter. For example, you're trying to cast a field from String to type in your statement, it will not accept it. 

• M3NG_Richard_Wolters
    18 Posts

‏2013-08-05T18:42:27Z  

It only supports SELECT statement and also pretty picky especially if you're using input parameter. For example, you're trying to cast a field from String to type in your statement, it will not accept it. 

Thanks for the advice/responses!