IC SunsetThe developerWorks Connections Platform is now in read-only mode and content is only available for viewing. No new wiki pages, posts, or messages may be added. Please see our FAQ for more information. The developerWorks Connections platform will officially shut down on March 31, 2020 and content will no longer be available. More details available on our FAQ. (Read in Japanese.)
Topic
  • 27 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2016-12-06T13:18:17Z by almserv
mchoban
mchoban
32 Posts

Pinned topic RPE 1.3: Unable to Add Data Source Schema

‏2014-11-13T20:55:09Z | doors nextgen rpe

In RPE 1.3, Unable to add DOORS NextGen data source schema. (DNG version 5.0.1) 

Steps to error:

Select Data > Add Data Source...

Add Data Source Schema Wizard dialog box opens

Enter the following:

Click Next >

The following error is received and never get a login screen for User/Password

Connection failed https://servername:port/rm/publish/resources?metadata=schema

Request URL:  https://servername:port/rm/publish/resources?metadata=schema

Response Code:  503

Response Message:  Service Unavailable

• Kumaraswamy M
    Kumaraswamy M
    350 Posts

Re: RPE 1.3: Unable to Add Data Source Schema

‏2014-11-14T02:21:11Z  

Hi Michele,

>>> https://servername:port/rm/publish/resources?metadata=schema

Is this URL accessible in the browser (IE, Firefox or chrome).

Please attach rpe log (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\rpe\rpe.log %TEMP%\RPE\rpe.log)

Thanks,

Kumar

• Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1654 Posts

‏2014-11-14T11:09:16Z  

Hi Michele,

Please attach rpe log (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\rpe\rpe.log %TEMP%\RPE\rpe.log)

Thanks,

Kumar

The DNG log would be useful as well if it contains any references to this request and the error.

Regards,

Dragos

• MannyADM
    MannyADM
    17 Posts

‏2014-11-14T19:20:05Z  

Hi Michele,

Thanks,

Kumar

Hi Dragos and Kumar,

This is Manny and I work with Michele. I'm the SysAdmin for the servers that house our Jazz implementation.

I'm looking at both the rpe.log and the rrdg.log and I'm not seeing anything. Its like RPE isn't even reaching the server it's trying to pull the schema from.

Now when we manually input the URL into a browser (Chrome, Firefox, IE), it returns an XML file within the browser, which leads me to believe that the ports needed aren't being blocked. We checked Windows firewall and our virus program and it doesn't seem to be causing an issue (no logs are reporting any programs being blocked or denied).

We were seeing the exact same issue in 1.2.1.1 version of RPE, but only recently. We were able, last month, to add the schema correctly and produce the template (using Dragos' workaround).

If you still require the logs, we'll need to have our security officer approve it first.

Let us know if there's anything we can try in the meantime.

Thanks,

Manny

• Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1654 Posts

‏2014-11-14T19:47:26Z  
    • MannyADM
    • ‏2014-11-14T19:20:05Z

Hi Dragos and Kumar,

This is Manny and I work with Michele. I'm the SysAdmin for the servers that house our Jazz implementation.

I'm looking at both the rpe.log and the rrdg.log and I'm not seeing anything. Its like RPE isn't even reaching the server it's trying to pull the schema from.

Now when we manually input the URL into a browser (Chrome, Firefox, IE), it returns an XML file within the browser, which leads me to believe that the ports needed aren't being blocked. We checked Windows firewall and our virus program and it doesn't seem to be causing an issue (no logs are reporting any programs being blocked or denied).

We were seeing the exact same issue in 1.2.1.1 version of RPE, but only recently. We were able, last month, to add the schema correctly and produce the template (using Dragos' workaround).

If you still require the logs, we'll need to have our security officer approve it first.

Let us know if there's anything we can try in the meantime.

Thanks,

Manny

Hey Manny,

I have not seen this issue before so I'll give you a list of what I'd try"

1. check if a proxy is defined for the browser
    2. check if the antivirus/firewall is blocking RPE
    3. force a refresh of the page in the browser to double check the page is not taken from cache
    4. try curl or a similar tool to see if you can access the schema?
    5. check on a different machine
    6. check if RPE access other sites, for example add the schema from https://jazz.net/rm/publish/modules?metadata=schema
    7. check if RPE can access other pages from the same server. For example add the QM or RTC schema. Fpr that matter you could point RPE to any URL on the same server to see if you get the authentication prompt at least

Please try the above and let us know where it gets you. If nothing helps please raise a support ticket.

Regards,

Dragos

• MannyADM
    MannyADM
    17 Posts

‏2014-11-14T20:01:03Z  

Hey Manny,

I have not seen this issue before so I'll give you a list of what I'd try"

1. check if a proxy is defined for the browser
    2. check if the antivirus/firewall is blocking RPE
    3. force a refresh of the page in the browser to double check the page is not taken from cache
    4. try curl or a similar tool to see if you can access the schema?
    5. check on a different machine
    6. check if RPE access other sites, for example add the schema from https://jazz.net/rm/publish/modules?metadata=schema
    7. check if RPE can access other pages from the same server. For example add the QM or RTC schema. Fpr that matter you could point RPE to any URL on the same server to see if you get the authentication prompt at least

Please try the above and let us know where it gets you. If nothing helps please raise a support ticket.

Regards,

Dragos

Hey Dragos,

1. There is no proxy on our browsers.

2. Antivirus/firewall is not blocking RPE (or at least its not listed or producing a log on it).

3. Cleared cache and page is not taking from cache.

4. Since we're pretty locked down, I'm still trying to get someone to install curl.

5. Since Michele is getting the same issue, I assume this counts.

6. I can add https://jazz.net/rm/publish/modules?metadata=schema as a schema to my project without issue.

7. For QM, we can't get, but I'll try other schemas on QM to see if I get the same issue.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Manny

• MannyADM
    MannyADM
    17 Posts

‏2014-11-14T20:40:09Z  
    • MannyADM
    • ‏2014-11-14T20:01:03Z

Hey Dragos,

1. There is no proxy on our browsers.

2. Antivirus/firewall is not blocking RPE (or at least its not listed or producing a log on it).

3. Cleared cache and page is not taking from cache.

4. Since we're pretty locked down, I'm still trying to get someone to install curl.

5. Since Michele is getting the same issue, I assume this counts.

6. I can add https://jazz.net/rm/publish/modules?metadata=schema as a schema to my project without issue.

7. For QM, we can't get, but I'll try other schemas on QM to see if I get the same issue.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Manny

Hey guys,

Figured it out...

Under RPE, Pull down menu:

Window > Preferences

Under "General" in the left hand panel, then "Network Connections".

For some reason "Active Provider" was set to "Native". I changed it to "Direct" and everything works now...

Thanks for your help!

Manny

• Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1654 Posts

‏2014-11-17T11:33:29Z  
    • MannyADM
    • ‏2014-11-14T20:40:09Z

Hey guys,

Figured it out...

Under RPE, Pull down menu:

Window > Preferences

Under "General" in the left hand panel, then "Network Connections".

For some reason "Active Provider" was set to "Native". I changed it to "Direct" and everything works now...

Thanks for your help!

Manny

Hey Manny,

thanks for the update it is much appreciated. Do you know if anything changed in your setup to cause this? "Direct"  means no proxies are used when connecting and "Native" means "causes settings that were discovered in the OS to be used".

Regards,

Dragos

• MannyADM
    MannyADM
    17 Posts

‏2014-11-17T13:36:17Z  

Hey Manny,

thanks for the update it is much appreciated. Do you know if anything changed in your setup to cause this? "Direct"  means no proxies are used when connecting and "Native" means "causes settings that were discovered in the OS to be used".

Regards,

Dragos

Hi Dragos,

We're actually not sure how this all happened. I will say that our admins for our workstations constantly push out browser updates and has our options locked down. I'm starting to think they have a proxy in place for our browsers but cannot change it since it is greyed out.

I will say that we have 2 environments. A development environment and our live operational production environment for our Jazz services.  When we were able to finally connect to the schemas, our development schema works fine and adds the schema with no issues. Our production environment is a different story. When we try to add the same schema with our production server, it gives a "connection failed" error. We keep trying with issues. We know we are typing the correct password since it is tied to our Active Directory password and can get into our workstation with the password without an issue. When we keep trying to add the schema with our password, our Active Directory account gets locked (like we typed in our password wrong consecutively).

Our production environment is more restricted, but were able to add schemas without an issue prior to upgrading to 5.0.1. I know 5.0.1 does things differently with authentication and security, but not sure what. Do you know if we need to select a certain encryption algorithm in RPE or should it automatically pick that up? I'm at a lost here since our development schema works without an issue.

Thanks,

Manny

• Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1654 Posts

‏2014-11-17T14:04:41Z  
    • MannyADM
    • ‏2014-11-17T13:36:17Z

Hi Dragos,

We're actually not sure how this all happened. I will say that our admins for our workstations constantly push out browser updates and has our options locked down. I'm starting to think they have a proxy in place for our browsers but cannot change it since it is greyed out.

I will say that we have 2 environments. A development environment and our live operational production environment for our Jazz services.  When we were able to finally connect to the schemas, our development schema works fine and adds the schema with no issues. Our production environment is a different story. When we try to add the same schema with our production server, it gives a "connection failed" error. We keep trying with issues. We know we are typing the correct password since it is tied to our Active Directory password and can get into our workstation with the password without an issue. When we keep trying to add the schema with our password, our Active Directory account gets locked (like we typed in our password wrong consecutively).

Our production environment is more restricted, but were able to add schemas without an issue prior to upgrading to 5.0.1. I know 5.0.1 does things differently with authentication and security, but not sure what. Do you know if we need to select a certain encryption algorithm in RPE or should it automatically pick that up? I'm at a lost here since our development schema works without an issue.

Thanks,

Manny

Hey Manny,

so you still have problems on some of your machines connecting to DNG 5.0.1 even with the changes in the Windows preferences?

>>> Do you know if we need to select a certain encryption algorithm in RPE or should it automatically pick that up?

It's always best to specify the authentication mechanism to use for performance reasons mainly. Typically DNG uses OAuth for authentication but I observed that DNG 5.0.1 with Jazz.net the auth is changed to form. So with DNG first try OAuth and then Form if that does not work. 

I checked with our colleagues from the CLM teams and there are no means for an end user to detect the authentication mechanism to use other than using a browser plugin (such as FireFox Web Developer) to inspect the communication between the browser and server.

>>>> When we keep trying to add the schema with our password, our Active Directory account gets locked (like we typed in our password wrong consecutively).

If you are using RPE 1.3 there is one defect that we have recently discovered which prevents RPE from connecting to OAuth data sources if the user name or password contain characters such as /, : or %.  If such characters are present in the credentials RPE will fail to authenticate to the data source with "Response code: 200 Response message: OK". We will provide a fix for this issue soon and in the meantime the solution is to avoid these characters.

Regards,

Dragos

• MannyADM
    MannyADM
    17 Posts

‏2014-11-17T14:08:01Z  

Hey Manny,

so you still have problems on some of your machines connecting to DNG 5.0.1 even with the changes in the Windows preferences?

>>> Do you know if we need to select a certain encryption algorithm in RPE or should it automatically pick that up?

It's always best to specify the authentication mechanism to use for performance reasons mainly. Typically DNG uses OAuth for authentication but I observed that DNG 5.0.1 with Jazz.net the auth is changed to form. So with DNG first try OAuth and then Form if that does not work. 

I checked with our colleagues from the CLM teams and there are no means for an end user to detect the authentication mechanism to use other than using a browser plugin (such as FireFox Web Developer) to inspect the communication between the browser and server.

>>>> When we keep trying to add the schema with our password, our Active Directory account gets locked (like we typed in our password wrong consecutively).

If you are using RPE 1.3 there is one defect that we have recently discovered which prevents RPE from connecting to OAuth data sources if the user name or password contain characters such as /, : or %.  If such characters are present in the credentials RPE will fail to authenticate to the data source with "Response code: 200 Response message: OK". We will provide a fix for this issue soon and in the meantime the solution is to avoid these characters.

Regards,

Dragos

Our RPE can connect to https://our_dev_server:9443/rm/publish/modules?metadata=schema (development environment) just fine and can ad that schema without issue.

We cannot connect to https://our_prod_server:9443/rm/publish/modules?metadata=schema (production environment). We get a connection invalid as if our account is being rejected. We know our account is correct since its our Active Directory user/pass and works when logging into our workstations.

• Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1654 Posts

‏2014-11-17T14:48:17Z  
    • MannyADM
    • ‏2014-11-17T14:08:01Z

Our RPE can connect to https://our_dev_server:9443/rm/publish/modules?metadata=schema (development environment) just fine and can ad that schema without issue.

We cannot connect to https://our_prod_server:9443/rm/publish/modules?metadata=schema (production environment). We get a connection invalid as if our account is being rejected. We know our account is correct since its our Active Directory user/pass and works when logging into our workstations.

>>> We cannot connect to https://our_prod_server:9443/rm/publish/modules?metadata=schema (production environment). We get a connection invalid as if our account is being rejected.

Have you tried changing the preference option as you described in a previous post, does it make any difference? Are you using RPE 1.3 or 1.2.1.1 ?

Regards,

Dragos

• Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1654 Posts

‏2014-11-17T14:49:03Z  
    • MannyADM
    • ‏2014-11-17T14:08:01Z

One more thing: have you tried specifying both OAuth and Form as the authentication method?

Regards,

Dragos

• MannyADM
    MannyADM
    17 Posts

‏2014-11-17T17:07:43Z  

One more thing: have you tried specifying both OAuth and Form as the authentication method?

Regards,

Dragos

I have tried changing the preferences and tried both OAuth and Form and still nothing. I know it tries to connect since our account locks out after failed attempts on trying to add the schema...

And we're using RPE 1.3. 

• Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1654 Posts

‏2014-11-17T18:05:08Z  
    • MannyADM
    • ‏2014-11-17T17:07:43Z

I have tried changing the preferences and tried both OAuth and Form and still nothing. I know it tries to connect since our account locks out after failed attempts on trying to add the schema...

And we're using RPE 1.3. 

Can you please post the exact error message you get in the console?  You should also contact support and raise a ticket so you can provide the log files as we'll need those to debug the issue.

Regards,

Dragos

• MannyADM
    MannyADM
    17 Posts

‏2014-11-17T20:05:32Z  

Can you please post the exact error message you get in the console?  You should also contact support and raise a ticket so you can provide the log files as we'll need those to debug the issue.

Regards,

Dragos

This is the error I get from the rpe.log file:

Auto: connection to https://prod_server:9443/rm/publish/modules?metadata=schema failed. None of the known protocols succeeded.

• Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1654 Posts

‏2014-11-18T08:37:21Z  
    • MannyADM
    • ‏2014-11-17T20:05:32Z

This is the error I get from the rpe.log file:

Auto: connection to https://prod_server:9443/rm/publish/modules?metadata=schema failed. None of the known protocols succeeded.

Hey Manny,

that message is given by RPE if "auto" is specified as authentication method. Please specify OAuth and let me know the message you get there. If you get a "200" error with OAuth specified see my above post on username/passwords containing special characters.

To speed this up you could also contact IBM support and raise a support ticket.

Regards,

Dragos

• MannyADM
    MannyADM
    17 Posts

‏2014-11-18T12:36:03Z  

Hey Manny,

that message is given by RPE if "auto" is specified as authentication method. Please specify OAuth and let me know the message you get there. If you get a "200" error with OAuth specified see my above post on username/passwords containing special characters.

To speed this up you could also contact IBM support and raise a support ticket.

Regards,

Dragos

Yes, sorry, we're getting a 200 error and our passwords do have special characters. I will submit a ticket. Is there a ticket already out there that we can add our issue to?

Thanks Dragos!,

Manny

• Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1654 Posts

‏2014-11-18T12:57:35Z  
    • MannyADM
    • ‏2014-11-18T12:36:03Z

Yes, sorry, we're getting a 200 error and our passwords do have special characters. I will submit a ticket. Is there a ticket already out there that we can add our issue to?

Thanks Dragos!,

Manny

Hey Manny,

>>> Yes, sorry, we're getting a 200 error and our passwords do have special characters.

thanks for the update. Can you please confirm that changing your password to one that does not use characters that need to be encoded resolves the issue for you and allows RPE to connect to DNG and get the schemas/data?

>>> I will submit a ticket. Is there a ticket already out there that we can add our issue to?

We do not have yet a ticket, only an internal workitem where we debugged and fixed the issue. Please create a ticket for this. We will issue a fix for this problem before the end of this month and in the meantime the workaround is to avoid using such characters in passwords. If your password policy requires special characters being used, as I assume it does, please use characters that do not need to be URL encoded. You can use an online tool such as http://www.opinionatedgeek.com/DotNet/Tools/UrlEncode/Encode.aspx to verify if a character requires URL encoding or not.

Regards,

Dragos

• MannyADM
    MannyADM
    17 Posts

‏2014-11-18T13:49:08Z  

Hey Manny,

>>> Yes, sorry, we're getting a 200 error and our passwords do have special characters.

thanks for the update. Can you please confirm that changing your password to one that does not use characters that need to be encoded resolves the issue for you and allows RPE to connect to DNG and get the schemas/data?

>>> I will submit a ticket. Is there a ticket already out there that we can add our issue to?

We do not have yet a ticket, only an internal workitem where we debugged and fixed the issue. Please create a ticket for this. We will issue a fix for this problem before the end of this month and in the meantime the workaround is to avoid using such characters in passwords. If your password policy requires special characters being used, as I assume it does, please use characters that do not need to be URL encoded. You can use an online tool such as http://www.opinionatedgeek.com/DotNet/Tools/UrlEncode/Encode.aspx to verify if a character requires URL encoding or not.

Regards,

Dragos

It does work with a password with no special characters. My development Jazz account has no special characters which is why it works and my production account does have special characters... Not sure why it didn't hit me until now...

I'll need to get with our Active Directory administrator to see if we absolutely need special characters in our password for account to be valid. If not, we'll just create a local user to add schemas to our templates.

Thank you again for all your help!

Manny

• CoopDeVille
    CoopDeVille
    3 Posts

‏2014-11-20T18:48:36Z  
    • MannyADM
    • ‏2014-11-18T13:49:08Z

It does work with a password with no special characters. My development Jazz account has no special characters which is why it works and my production account does have special characters... Not sure why it didn't hit me until now...

I'll need to get with our Active Directory administrator to see if we absolutely need special characters in our password for account to be valid. If not, we'll just create a local user to add schemas to our templates.

Thank you again for all your help!

Manny

Salut Dragosi!

I upgraded from 1.2.1.1, which worked fine, to 1.3 and am receiving the same error in the same context.

I've tried changing the Network Connection settings with no success. My password also has special characters in it.

Don

• Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1654 Posts

‏2014-11-21T10:51:17Z  

Salut Dragosi!

I upgraded from 1.2.1.1, which worked fine, to 1.3 and am receiving the same error in the same context.

I've tried changing the Network Connection settings with no success. My password also has special characters in it.

Don

Salut Don. :)

>>> I've tried changing the Network Connection settings with no success. My password also has special characters in it.

The workaround is to avoid some special characters in your password. Not all special characters are causing this problem, only those that need to be URL encoded such as ":", "/". "%" are. To determine if a character has to be encoded or not you can use online tools such as this one:

http://www.opinionatedgeek.com/DotNet/Tools/UrlEncode/Encode.aspx

If a character remains unchanged in the"Encoded output" tab  than it can be used in the password without triggering the defect.

Again, this is just a temporary workaround, we will provide the fix for it soon.

Regards,

Dragos

• CoopDeVille
    CoopDeVille
    3 Posts

‏2014-11-21T14:14:24Z  

Salut Don. :)

>>> I've tried changing the Network Connection settings with no success. My password also has special characters in it.

The workaround is to avoid some special characters in your password. Not all special characters are causing this problem, only those that need to be URL encoded such as ":", "/". "%" are. To determine if a character has to be encoded or not you can use online tools such as this one:

http://www.opinionatedgeek.com/DotNet/Tools/UrlEncode/Encode.aspx

If a character remains unchanged in the"Encoded output" tab  than it can be used in the password without triggering the defect.

Again, this is just a temporary workaround, we will provide the fix for it soon.

Regards,

Dragos

My password includes '!' but that doesn't seem to be an encoding issue.

I've tried all methods of authentication with no success.

Auto - None of the known protocols succeeded.

Basic - Intermittent success. Sometimes it's successful, but sometimes it fails 401 error.

Form - 401

OAuth - 200

OAuth-OSLC - Failed, no error code.

• Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1654 Posts

‏2014-11-21T14:20:44Z  

My password includes '!' but that doesn't seem to be an encoding issue.

I've tried all methods of authentication with no success.

Auto - None of the known protocols succeeded.

Basic - Intermittent success. Sometimes it's successful, but sometimes it fails 401 error.

Form - 401

OAuth - 200

OAuth-OSLC - Failed, no error code.

Hey Don,

please try using a password having only alphanumerical characters and specify "OAuth" as the auth method.

Regards,

Dragos

• CoopDeVille
    CoopDeVille
    3 Posts

‏2014-11-21T14:53:04Z  

Hey Don,

please try using a password having only alphanumerical characters and specify "OAuth" as the auth method.

Regards,

Dragos

Our LAN credentials are managed by AD so I'd have to go through the process of getting my Pwd changed to do that.

I'll submit a request but for the time being I'm falling back to 1.2.1.1

Do we know if there's a PMR open for this issue?

Updated on 2014-11-21T14:53:21Z at 2014-11-21T14:53:21Z by CoopDeVille