• 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-09T11:48:29Z by vtrob08
ChrisHardy68
ChrisHardy68
86 Posts

Pinned topic RPE -Create a Requirements Traceability Matrix table

‏2013-09-02T03:48:40Z |

Hi

Can anyone provide guidance on how to create a Requirements traceability matrix table with RRC ( or DOORS)

Example - 2 modules with links between the artifacts included within them (Mod A and Mod B)

I need to create a table like

Mod A Artifact 1   Mod A Artifact 2    Mod A Artifact 3    Mod A Artifact 4    Mod A Artifact 5 ...

Mod B, Artifact 1                                      X

Mod B, Artifact 2                                      X                                                            X

Mod B, Artifact 3        X   

Mod B, Artifact 4                                                                  X

Mod B, Artifact 5       X

Additionally initially we don't know how many artifacts are in either module

In realize Javascript would be needed, and an array but I cant figure out a workable solution beyond that ( How do you create a persistant array?)

This issue breaks down into :

How to create a dynamic table with  x number of rows and y numbers of column

How do you populate the correct cell that corresponds with the link (if one exists)

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated

• ChrisHardy68
    ChrisHardy68
    86 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RPE -Create a Requirements Traceability Matrix table

‏2013-09-02T08:05:25Z  

Hi,

OK I worked out a solution using DOORS as a data source, so in principle I have this working.

Will post up a solution once I have it finalised for DOORS and RRC

• ChrisHardy68
    ChrisHardy68
    86 Posts

‏2013-09-02T08:05:25Z  

Hi,

OK I worked out a solution using DOORS as a data source, so in principle I have this working.

• BillTidy
    BillTidy
    69 Posts

‏2013-09-03T08:47:41Z  

Nasty, nasty, nasty report. What's the requirement for reporting your traceability (I don't mean how does someone want it to look). How will the report recipient use it?

If you have hundreds of requirements in your modules then I hope you have a large plotter, powerful microscope or a big display you don't mind scrolling around.

We had a similar request when we started out with Req Engineering - simply because some text books say one artefact of RE is a traceability matrix. I managed to convince the end-users not to go down that route.

• Girish Patil
    Girish Patil
    1 Post

‏2013-10-02T16:07:34Z  

Hi

I have created Requirements Traceability Matrix using RRC. Please find the attached document for more information.

• vtrob08
    vtrob08
    3 Posts

‏2013-10-03T11:42:25Z  

Hi,

Did you ever finalize your solution for DOORS? I'm having a similar issue and could use some guidance.

• ChrisHardy68
    ChrisHardy68
    86 Posts

‏2013-10-03T22:44:53Z  
    • vtrob08
    • ‏2013-10-03T11:42:25Z

Did you ever finalize your solution for DOORS? I'm having a similar issue and could use some guidance.

Hi,

First off I do agree completely with Bill this is not a great type of report to produce (anyone who has tried to create links via a link module in DOORS will be painfully familiar with this concept

However as a PoC for reporting on links and for a very specific need a customer had, here is a really very simple example.

Written with DOORS 9.5 and RPE 1.2.0.1

Attachments

• vtrob08
    vtrob08
    3 Posts

‏2013-10-08T16:55:03Z  

Hi,

First off I do agree completely with Bill this is not a great type of report to produce (anyone who has tried to create links via a link module in DOORS will be painfully familiar with this concept

However as a PoC for reporting on links and for a very specific need a customer had, here is a really very simple example.

Written with DOORS 9.5 and RPE 1.2.0.1

Thanks for the quick response, but I'm running RPE v 1.1.1.2 and it will not allow me to open the template. By any chance, does it allow you to save the template as an older version file type?

• ChrisHardy68
    ChrisHardy68
    86 Posts

‏2013-10-08T21:36:10Z  
    • vtrob08
    • ‏2013-10-08T16:55:03Z

Thanks for the quick response, but I'm running RPE v 1.1.1.2 and it will not allow me to open the template. By any chance, does it allow you to save the template as an older version file type?

Unfortunately cant save it in an earlier format.

Have taken screen shots of the relevant bits so hopefully that should answer most of your questions

Attachments

• vtrob08
    vtrob08
    3 Posts

‏2013-10-09T11:48:29Z  

Unfortunately cant save it in an earlier format.

Have taken screen shots of the relevant bits so hopefully that should answer most of your questions

great, thanks again