Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-08-29T20:03:38Z by arturoe_mx
jscheel
jscheel
62 Posts

Pinned topic Support for the IBM Service and Productivity Tools

‏2011-07-06T20:44:24Z |
We're centralizing our various support forums into a single entity.

Please Join this Group (button Top Right) if not already a member to post questions, provide feedback, or just chat about the IBM Service and Productivity Tools.

Thanks!
Updated on 2012-08-29T20:03:38Z at 2012-08-29T20:03:38Z by arturoe_mx
  • arturoe_mx
    arturoe_mx
    2 Posts

Re: Support for the IBM Service and Productivity Tools

‏2012-08-28T20:12:41Z  
     Hi folks
     I have an specific question about service tools for linux ( RedHat 5.3) on Power, I know is quiet old, but I have a customer in MX with a P5 system with that linux version. My question is about if it is possible with this toolkit to power off the attention light on this server directly from the linux command line. I know we have different ways to do this, but customer wants to know if this toolkit can do that. Also since I´m HW Service rep for IBM in MX, it is good to know what else can this tools do to service Power systems, and I haven´t found good documentation on this topic, so if you suggest some paper or redbook, it is welcome.
  • schampagne
    schampagne
    5 Posts

‏2012-08-29T01:51:52Z  
     Hi folks
     I have an specific question about service tools for linux ( RedHat 5.3) on Power, I know is quiet old, but I have a customer in MX with a P5 system with that linux version. My question is about if it is possible with this toolkit to power off the attention light on this server directly from the linux command line. I know we have different ways to do this, but customer wants to know if this toolkit can do that. Also since I´m HW Service rep for IBM in MX, it is good to know what else can this tools do to service Power systems, and I haven´t found good documentation on this topic, so if you suggest some paper or redbook, it is welcome.
    The Managing your server with service and productivity tools topic in the Linux Information Center discusses the Service aids package, which includes the usysattn command ("Display or turn off system attention indicators (LEDs)"), which sounds like what you're looking for.

The Managing your server with service and productivity tools topic also has an Installing service and productivity tools subtopic, which has additional subtopics that provide links to download pages like Service and productivity tools. That last page indicates that the Service aids package should be available on RHEL5 installation media, as the pp64-utils package.

Then it's just a matter of whether the usysattn command was available in the pp64-utils package in the RHEL5.3 timeframe.
  • VasantHegde
    VasantHegde
    3 Posts

‏2012-08-29T04:19:45Z  
    The Managing your server with service and productivity tools topic in the Linux Information Center discusses the Service aids package, which includes the usysattn command ("Display or turn off system attention indicators (LEDs)"), which sounds like what you're looking for.

The Managing your server with service and productivity tools topic also has an Installing service and productivity tools subtopic, which has additional subtopics that provide links to download pages like Service and productivity tools. That last page indicates that the Service aids package should be available on RHEL5 installation media, as the pp64-utils package.

Then it's just a matter of whether the usysattn command was available in the pp64-utils package in the RHEL5.3 timeframe.
    > The Managing your server with service and productivity tools topic in the Linux Information Center discusses the Service
    > aids package, which includes the usysattn command ("Display or turn off system attention indicators (LEDs)"), which sounds like
    > what you're looking for.

You are right. usysattn is the right comment. Below is the command usage.
    usysattn --> gives all fault indicator list. First line in the output system attention indicator location code.
    Ex : 
    [root@xxx ~]# usysattn
    U78A5.001.WIH8464     [on]                 <- Attention indicator location code
    U78A5.001.WIH8464-P1     [off]
    U78A5.001.WIH8464-P1-C1     [off]

usysattn -l <attn indicator location> -s normal  --> disables attention indicator.
     Ex: 
    [root@xxx ~]# usysattn -l U78A5.001.WIH8464 -s normal
    off

We are working on full fledge Light Path support for PowerLinux. Tentative plan is to ship that early next year.

> which has additional subtopics that provide links to download pages like Service and productivity tools. That last page indicates that
    > the Service aids package should be available on RHEL5 installation media, as the pp64-utils package.

Correct package name is : ppc64-utils. 

Version available in RHEL 5.3 : ppc64-utils-0.11-10.el5.ppc.rpm

Alternatively you can get latest source code from below link.
     http://sourceforge.net/projects/powerpc-utils/ 

Note: RHEL 6.x we call package as powerpc-utils

> Then it's just a matter of whether the usysattn command was available in the pp64-utils package in the RHEL5.3 timeframe.

Yes. It is available. 
    -Vasant

• arturoe_mx
    arturoe_mx
    2 Posts

‏2012-08-29T20:03:38Z  
    > The Managing your server with service and productivity tools topic in the Linux Information Center discusses the Service
    > aids package, which includes the usysattn command ("Display or turn off system attention indicators (LEDs)"), which sounds like
    > what you're looking for.

You are right. usysattn is the right comment. Below is the command usage.
    usysattn --> gives all fault indicator list. First line in the output system attention indicator location code.
    Ex : 
    [root@xxx ~]# usysattn
    U78A5.001.WIH8464     [on]                 <- Attention indicator location code
    U78A5.001.WIH8464-P1     [off]
    U78A5.001.WIH8464-P1-C1     [off]

usysattn -l <attn indicator location> -s normal  --> disables attention indicator.
     Ex: 
    [root@xxx ~]# usysattn -l U78A5.001.WIH8464 -s normal
    off

We are working on full fledge Light Path support for PowerLinux. Tentative plan is to ship that early next year.

> which has additional subtopics that provide links to download pages like Service and productivity tools. That last page indicates that
    > the Service aids package should be available on RHEL5 installation media, as the pp64-utils package.

Correct package name is : ppc64-utils. 

Version available in RHEL 5.3 : ppc64-utils-0.11-10.el5.ppc.rpm

Alternatively you can get latest source code from below link.
     http://sourceforge.net/projects/powerpc-utils/ 

Note: RHEL 6.x we call package as powerpc-utils

> Then it's just a matter of whether the usysattn command was available in the pp64-utils package in the RHEL5.3 timeframe.

Yes. It is available. 
    -Vasant

Exelent, thanks for your comments, customer installed those utilities, and executed usysattn command, so he was able to turn off amber light on this power box. Regards