2 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-05-02T15:01:25Z by smithkenny
sameerkumarg
sameerkumarg
18 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Integration object chaining

‏2014-04-22T23:50:36Z |

All,

I have a use case, which involves navigating a large number of screens, and has multiple prompts and extracts. I want to record this as a macro and expose it via a web service. Instead of recording one huge macro, I want to break this up into several smaller macros and use chaining to execute those in order. 

So when I call my web service, I want to execute the first macro in the chain, which will produce an output (extract). I want my next macro in the chain to pick this input and do its own sub-tasks, and carry forward its own output to the next macro in the chain. Ultimately, I want all of the smaller macros to be executed and produce a final "output" which would then be returned by the web service. 

Is Integration Object chaining the right way to accomplish this? If so, are there any samples on the infocenter that demonstrate this?

Thanks,

Sameer

• sameerkumarg
    sameerkumarg
    18 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Integration object chaining

‏2014-04-23T18:07:40Z  in response to sameerkumarg

As I was trying to implement this, I realize that macro chaining would be another alternative. I have a few questions about the same though. 

Let's say I have 3 macros, Macro1, Macro2 and Macro3. In Macro1, I navigate a few screens with prompts and extracts and end on an exit screen. If I use the "Play macro" to chain Macro1 to Macro2, will Macro1 be terminated, along with the connection and Macro2 will use a new connection(from the pool)? Is it possible to use the same connection for all the macros in the chain so that I don't have to worry about multiple connections being used and released?

Also, if Macro2 requires prompts, do I have to have all the prompts in Macro1 and transfer those to Macro2 as macro variables? This would end up in the macro having a large number of macro variables.

Can someone shed some light on what the best practice is for the use case that I described? Macro chaining or Integration object chaining?

Thanks,

Sameer

• smithkenny
      smithkenny
      21 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Integration object chaining

‏2014-05-02T15:01:25Z  in response to sameerkumarg

One thing to keep in mind, is that you may have to account for any validation errors on those fields/prompts. I've had horrible issues with this in the past, where certain fields would throw a validation error that no one expected, and no one had documented anywhere. In practical use, I find chaining to an evil temptation. I do my best to make these completely stateless.