• 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-08-23T13:39:45Z by robinsguk
robinsguk
robinsguk
31 Posts

Pinned topic SVC to V7000 export woes

‏2013-08-22T18:38:43Z |

I'm stuck.

I want to migrate a SVC based vdisk to a V7000 volume.

Here's what I've done:

• Zones two ports from the V7000 to the SVC
  • SVC detects 2 x 2145 controlllers
  • Created a host (SVC_01) on the V7000 specifying all 8 of the SVC WWNs as FC ports
  • On the V7000 mapped a 13GB LUN to the SVC_01 host
  • On the SVC I run detect mdisks and the 13GB vdisk appears under one of the 2145 controllers as unmanaged
  • Right click on an active LUN on the SVC and select export to image mode
  • The next display shows the 13GB unmanaged mdisk for me to select so I select it
  • On the next display it asks which storage pool I want to add the image mode disk to

Here's where I'm stuck. Only the existing mdisk groups are shown. So I created a new mdisk group with NO mdisks in it and repeated the export to image mode process but it still only shows the original 3 groups.

What am I missing to get the export working correctly?

Thanks in advance

Glenn

• chriscanto
    chriscanto
    292 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: SVC to V7000 export woes

‏2013-08-23T12:23:12Z  
    • robinsguk
    • ‏2013-08-23T11:11:29Z

Oooooh, close this time.

I created a new mdisk group on the SVC with a 64MB extent to match the existing mdisk group.

When I migratetoimage I can now see the new mdisk group I created so I select it from the list.

The command starts  . . . . and then fails straight away with 

• The extent was not migrated because there is a problem with the target extents. CMMVC5851E

The mdisk group on the V7000 has an extent size of 64MB, the same as the SVC, and 1 x mdisk in it which consists of 8 x 900GB disks in a RAID-5 array.

Any clues?

Thanks

Glenn

One thing to check would be that the mdisk you're trying to migrate the volume to has a capacity that is at least as large as the volume.    (It doesn't matter if the mdisk is slightly larger, any extra space at the end is just ignored/unused).

lsmdisk -bytes

compare the 'capacity' value with your chosen volume as seen in

lsvdisk -bytes

I would have thought the GUI would do this filtering for you automatically, but it's worth checking.

• chriscanto
    chriscanto
    292 Posts

‏2013-08-22T21:24:19Z  

Looks like you're doing the right sort of thing.

I think the GUI is filtering the mdiskgrps based on extent size, only showing you the groups that have the same extent size as the group the source volume is currently in.   (As extent size doesn't really matter when you're taking about image mode vdisks, and I don't think the migratetoimage has any such requirement, this is a curious bit of behavior!)

Still, try creating an empty group with the same extent size as the current mdiskgrp and see if that does the trick.

• robinsguk
    robinsguk
    31 Posts

‏2013-08-23T04:01:33Z  

Looks like you're doing the right sort of thing.

I think the GUI is filtering the mdiskgrps based on extent size, only showing you the groups that have the same extent size as the group the source volume is currently in.   (As extent size doesn't really matter when you're taking about image mode vdisks, and I don't think the migratetoimage has any such requirement, this is a curious bit of behavior!)

Still, try creating an empty group with the same extent size as the current mdiskgrp and see if that does the trick.

Thanks.

1.Do I run the mkmdiskgrp command on SVC or V7000

2. Where do I find the extent size of the exiting LUNs mangaged by the SVC?

• chriscanto
    chriscanto
    292 Posts

‏2013-08-23T07:54:22Z  
    • robinsguk
    • ‏2013-08-23T04:01:33Z

Thanks.

1.Do I run the mkmdiskgrp command on SVC or V7000

2. Where do I find the extent size of the exiting LUNs mangaged by the SVC?

On the SVC you can use the 'lsmdiskgrp' command to list all the managed disk groups and their properties, which includes the 'extent_size' value (in MB).

To create a new empty mdiskgrp with a specified extent size use:

mkmdiskgrp -ext X

where X is one of 16, 32, 64,128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, or 8192 (MB).   You can optionally give it a name if you want.

You'd run that command on the SVC; that's where the new image mode volume is being created, so that's where the group for it to live in needs to exist.

• robinsguk
    robinsguk
    31 Posts

‏2013-08-23T11:11:29Z  

On the SVC you can use the 'lsmdiskgrp' command to list all the managed disk groups and their properties, which includes the 'extent_size' value (in MB).

To create a new empty mdiskgrp with a specified extent size use:

mkmdiskgrp -ext X

where X is one of 16, 32, 64,128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, or 8192 (MB).   You can optionally give it a name if you want.

You'd run that command on the SVC; that's where the new image mode volume is being created, so that's where the group for it to live in needs to exist.

Oooooh, close this time.

I created a new mdisk group on the SVC with a 64MB extent to match the existing mdisk group.

When I migratetoimage I can now see the new mdisk group I created so I select it from the list.

• The extent was not migrated because there is a problem with the target extents. CMMVC5851E

The mdisk group on the V7000 has an extent size of 64MB, the same as the SVC, and 1 x mdisk in it which consists of 8 x 900GB disks in a RAID-5 array.

Any clues?

Thanks

Glenn

• chriscanto
    chriscanto
    292 Posts

‏2013-08-23T12:23:12Z  
    • robinsguk
    • ‏2013-08-23T11:11:29Z

Oooooh, close this time.

Any clues?

Thanks

Glenn

One thing to check would be that the mdisk you're trying to migrate the volume to has a capacity that is at least as large as the volume.    (It doesn't matter if the mdisk is slightly larger, any extra space at the end is just ignored/unused).

lsmdisk -bytes

lsvdisk -bytes

I would have thought the GUI would do this filtering for you automatically, but it's worth checking.

• robinsguk
    robinsguk
    31 Posts

‏2013-08-23T13:39:45Z  

lsmdisk -bytes

lsvdisk -bytes

Got it . . . . . . and it's working.

Thanks so much for your assistance. Really appreciated.

Glenn