• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-09-06T05:13:44Z by CQAdmin
ssangah
ssangah
5 Posts

Pinned topic Reference list in a Drop list control

‏2013-08-29T15:15:36Z |

Hi,

I am creating a drop list on a form that I have, I will like the drop list to reference all users' full names. When i create the drop list and select the "Source Field" (assigned) i am able to expand that assigned field and select assigned.fullname as my source field, but the fullname option has a lock image on it (but still able to use as a source field), which I think explains why i am unable to see anything populated in the drop list when I do a quick test.

My goal is to only have all the users' names populated in the drop list. I created this drop list as a reference. Anyone have an explanation why the "lock" would be there / how do I resolve it.

I have attached a picture of this, hopefully its helpful

Thank you!!

Stephanie.

Attachments

• CQAdmin
    CQAdmin
    103 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Reference list in a Drop list control

‏2013-08-30T03:42:49Z  

Hello,

One way of getting fullname into the drop down field us using the hook code (As your goal is to only have all the users' names populated in the drop list).

Please have a look, this tech note is very good. -

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21641301

Meanwhile, I will see the "lock" issue, If I could provide some help.

Thanks.

• GlennSkinner
    GlennSkinner
    58 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-04T18:34:14Z  

Hi Stephanie

The only way to create a drop down choice list of full names is by using a script.

By design, a reference field will pull the unique key from the reference record type and use that when it generates the selection list. Because the 'Users' record type is a system-controlled, the unique key will always be the login_name.

The lock symbol you see is because the field is system owned so it cannot be edited. The same goes for the unique key, it too cannot be changed. Choosing assigned.fullname will not build a list because it is not the unique key for the users record type.

Technote http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21641301 is a good reference for building a choicelist using full name.

I hope this clears it up for you

Glenn

• CQAdmin
    CQAdmin
    103 Posts

‏2013-08-30T03:42:49Z  

Hello,

One way of getting fullname into the drop down field us using the hook code (As your goal is to only have all the users' names populated in the drop list).

Thanks.

• ssangah
    ssangah
    5 Posts

‏2013-08-30T15:42:39Z  
    • CQAdmin
    • ‏2013-08-30T03:42:49Z

Hello,

Thanks.

Thanks for the response. I think for the "lock" part, its because those artifacts are owned by SYSTEM. All the other artifacts that I am able to use are owned by NONE (which doesn't have the locks on them). Now I'm trying to figure out if its possible to change the ownership of those locked artifacts.

Thanks,

Stephanie.

• GlennSkinner
    GlennSkinner
    58 Posts

‏2013-09-04T18:34:14Z  

Hi Stephanie

The only way to create a drop down choice list of full names is by using a script.

By design, a reference field will pull the unique key from the reference record type and use that when it generates the selection list. Because the 'Users' record type is a system-controlled, the unique key will always be the login_name.

The lock symbol you see is because the field is system owned so it cannot be edited. The same goes for the unique key, it too cannot be changed. Choosing assigned.fullname will not build a list because it is not the unique key for the users record type.

Technote http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21641301 is a good reference for building a choicelist using full name.

Glenn

• ssangah
    ssangah
    5 Posts

‏2013-09-05T13:22:53Z  

Hi Stephanie

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your response, yes a script is needed for this. I used the script from the technote that CQAdmin suggested, that was the correct technote to use except that after opening a PMR about why no names were being displayed, it turns out that my schema properties were set to "BASIC" therefore on BASIC scripts would work. Instead of changing my whole schema to only take perl, i used a BASIC version of the script. The names are populating now!

Thanks for all your help CQAdmin and Glenn.

Stephanie.

• CQAdmin
    CQAdmin
    103 Posts

‏2013-09-06T05:13:44Z  
    • ssangah
    • ‏2013-09-05T13:22:53Z

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your response, yes a script is needed for this. I used the script from the technote that CQAdmin suggested, that was the correct technote to use except that after opening a PMR about why no names were being displayed, it turns out that my schema properties were set to "BASIC" therefore on BASIC scripts would work. Instead of changing my whole schema to only take perl, i used a BASIC version of the script. The names are populating now!

Thanks for all your help CQAdmin and Glenn.

Stephanie.

You are welcome

:-)