Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
9 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-18T15:17:33Z by vess_natchev
asingh1583
asingh1583
22 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Using NIM as a image repository for LINUX LPAR on IBM system Director

‏2013-01-15T12:37:14Z |
 Hello All,

Can i use NIM as an image repository for Linux LPAR on IBM sys Director? IF so, kindly help me on this.
Updated on 2013-01-18T15:17:33Z at 2013-01-18T15:17:33Z by vess_natchev
  • JayFurmanek
    JayFurmanek
    98 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Using NIM as a image repository for LINUX LPAR on IBM system Director

‏2013-01-15T15:37:49Z  in response to asingh1583

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/software/director/vmcontrol/

VMControl is a key piece to getting an automated cloud environment set up on Power systems.
    Details on how VMControl uses NIM can be found here:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/director/pubs/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.director.vim.helps.doc%2Ffsd0_vim_c_understanding_NIM.html 
    • asingh1583
      asingh1583
      22 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-16T03:34:42Z  in response to JayFurmanek

Hello Jay,

Thank you for information, i have the VM control installed and also agents installed on Linux and NIM, but when i am trying to capture linux image its showing error, and also not able to deploy aix images. However i got success in capturing images of aix Lpars and that is stored in /export/nim/appliances. No my task is to take Linux images in /export/nim/appliances which i am unable to do.
      • vess_natchev
        vess_natchev
        4 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-16T22:18:40Z  in response to asingh1583
         Hi,

Unfortunately, VMControl can't capture Linux images via NIM.  For Linux, you have to use the other (faster) method VMControl has, which is Storage Copy Services (SCS).  You'd start here --
        http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/director/pubs/topic/com.ibm.director.vim.helps.doc/fsd0_vim_r_sb_aix_on_power.html -- and you can look at the capture and deploy requirement topics in there.  The setup is fairly involved if you've never done it before, but we have some good guides to help.  Take a look at this one, it's the entire setup from beginning to end.  It's for AIX, but setting up SCS (and all the various prerequisites before that) is the same for Power Linux: 

http://www.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?subtype=RG&infotype=PM&appname=STGE_PO_PO_USEN&htmlfid=POO03078USEN&attachment=POO03078USEN.PDF

You can ignore the later chapters on SmartCloud Entry if you're not also putting that on top.  Hope that helps!

Vess
        • asingh1583
          asingh1583
          22 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-17T03:18:15Z  in response to vess_natchev
           Thanks Vess for information,

One more thing i am eager to know, can we keep two image repository in one VM control?

• vess_natchev
            vess_natchev
            4 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-17T14:54:34Z  in response to asingh1583
            You're welcome.  Yes, you can have multiple common repositories (for Linux, IBM i or AIX) or multiple NIM repositories (for AIX).  For the CRs, you can create those; for NIM, those would be associated with different NIM servers.
            • asingh1583
              asingh1583
              22 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-17T15:46:18Z  in response to vess_natchev
               Hi Vess,
              Many many thanks for ur reply.I have tried to install agent on vios, all went well but still not shown by director with agent installed.Also when I tried to deploy aix image its giving error regarding space issue, I have given 25 GB space to new virtual server but the error is same like the disk space is not enough, not understanding why its happening, m not able to deploy. For linux I need vios with common agent and that is showing installed on vios but not showbiz by system director. If you have any idea kindly help me.
              Thanks in advance.

• vess_natchev
                vess_natchev
                4 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-17T23:50:51Z  in response to asingh1583
                  Sorry, there's not quite enough info to diagnose and it could be several things in general.  But there are 3 things you can still do:

1) Go through that guide I mentioned and make sure all the prerequisite steps are in place (for SCS).  It's a number of pieces that all have to work together to have a functional config.
                2) See if the NIM and SCS troubleshooting wikis over here can help, they're very good:  https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/W3e8d1c956c32_416f_a604_4633cd375569/page/IBM%20VMControl%20for%20Power%20Information.
                3) Call it into IBM Support.
                • asingh1583
                  asingh1583
                  22 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-18T14:07:18Z  in response to vess_natchev
                   Hi Vess,
                  fortunately i got success in agent installation on vios, I have vios with internal disk , I have tried to create image repository but unable to do so as no storage I can see.can't I create image repository with the use of internal disk?

• vess_natchev
                    vess_natchev
                    4 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-18T15:17:33Z  in response to asingh1583
                     No, you can't use internal disk for a common repository, you have to use SAN.  All those prerequisites and steps are listed in that guide I mentioned.