Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-02-17T03:30:27Z by Cynthiawang
adbdkb
adbdkb
11 Posts

Pinned topic CC / CQ 64-bit and RAD 32-bit relationship

‏2014-02-11T02:39:46Z |

Our organisation is currently on CC / CQ 7.1.2 which we know is going out of support in April 2014.  We will be moving to CC/CQ version 8 in next few months.  I have a few questions on using 64-bit CC/CQ

• If we are going to use 64-bit version, will it work with 32-bit RAD installations? We have a large number of developer set-ups that use 32-bit RAD  because 64-bit RAD did not work with CC/CQ 7.1.2.  Will we be required to update ALL RAD installations to 64-bit?
  • If not, will this mean we will have to continue to use 32-bit CC/CQ for those developers?
  • Or, the existing workstations will have to be updated with 32-bit versions of CC/CQ 8.0 and new requests for CC / CQ / RAD can use 64-bit version?
  • Will there be different licence servers for 32-bit / 64-bit? Can they co-exist, if seperate servers are needed.

Thank you

• marcdb
    marcdb
    16 Posts

Re: CC / CQ 64-bit and RAD 32-bit relationship

‏2014-02-13T08:02:11Z  

For ClearCase, it is actually the other way around:

ClearCase 8.0.x is still a 32 bit application. So if you want to use RAD with the tradional ClearCase SCM plugin, you have to install the 32-bit version of RAD. Note that the 32-bit version  and 64-bit version of RAD are in the same package: you select the appropriate instance at installation time.

If you want to install the 64-bit version of RAD, you can use the ClearTeam Explorer plugin, which is available for 64-bit. But the ClearTeam Explorer does not support snapshot views. So you can either use dynamic views, or you need to setup a CCRC  WAN server for creating remote views. These views are actually faster than traditional snapshot views, but you cannot use the native cleartool command anymore with them.

Regards,

Marc

• adbdkb
    adbdkb
    11 Posts

‏2014-02-13T11:27:43Z  
    • marcdb
    • ‏2014-02-13T08:02:11Z

For ClearCase, it is actually the other way around:

ClearCase 8.0.x is still a 32 bit application. So if you want to use RAD with the tradional ClearCase SCM plugin, you have to install the 32-bit version of RAD. Note that the 32-bit version  and 64-bit version of RAD are in the same package: you select the appropriate instance at installation time.

If you want to install the 64-bit version of RAD, you can use the ClearTeam Explorer plugin, which is available for 64-bit. But the ClearTeam Explorer does not support snapshot views. So you can either use dynamic views, or you need to setup a CCRC  WAN server for creating remote views. These views are actually faster than traditional snapshot views, but you cannot use the native cleartool command anymore with them.

Regards,

Marc

Thanks for the reply, but now I am a bit confused.  It could be because I may be interpreting something differently.

So, when I see launchpad64.exe and launchpad.exe, do they not indicate 64-bit and 32-bit versions of CC respectively?  If not, what are the differences in those and which one should be used for what type of installation?

Thank you

Updated on 2014-02-13T11:55:12Z at 2014-02-13T11:55:12Z by adbdkb
  • smeany
    smeany
    49 Posts

‏2014-02-14T18:47:45Z  

The launchpad is for installation manager.  Please see http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/esbsoa/wesbv7r5m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.wbpm.wid.imuc.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_start_install_launchpad.html

ClearCase - except for the mvfs - will be installed as a 32-bit application.  On a 64-bit system, the 64-bit version of the MVFS would be installed.  However, this does not apply to the rest of CC.  That would be installed in the same location as all other 32-bit applications in Program Files (x86). 

I hope this helps.

• smeany
    smeany
    49 Posts

‏2014-02-14T19:01:45Z  
    • smeany
    • ‏2014-02-14T18:47:45Z

The launchpad is for installation manager.  Please see http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/esbsoa/wesbv7r5m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.wbpm.wid.imuc.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_start_install_launchpad.html

ClearCase - except for the mvfs - will be installed as a 32-bit application.  On a 64-bit system, the 64-bit version of the MVFS would be installed.  However, this does not apply to the rest of CC.  That would be installed in the same location as all other 32-bit applications in Program Files (x86). 

I hope this helps.

Here is a list of known issues with the launchpad as well. : http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21628641

• adbdkb
    adbdkb
    11 Posts

‏2014-02-15T14:57:14Z  
    • smeany
    • ‏2014-02-14T19:01:45Z

Here is a list of known issues with the launchpad as well. : http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21628641

Thank you for both the replies.  They help clarify my original question / concerns.

I have another question related to the first reply above regarding the statement - That would be installed in the same location as all other 32-bit applications in Program Files (x86) -

In our organisation, it is the policy to not let developers have admin accesses on the boxes for security reasons.  And when we install things in Program Files (x86)  some of the actions / functions need admin access. We observed this with RAD / Websphere test environment installation. So, we have policy to install All IBM products in C:\IBM\Rational directory structure.  Will this cause any issues, if we use the same policies to install V8 CC/CQ using 32-bit installation manager?

Thanks again

• Cynthiawang
    Cynthiawang
    3 Posts

‏2014-02-17T03:30:27Z  
    • adbdkb
    • ‏2014-02-15T14:57:14Z

Thank you for both the replies.  They help clarify my original question / concerns.

I have another question related to the first reply above regarding the statement - That would be installed in the same location as all other 32-bit applications in Program Files (x86) -

In our organisation, it is the policy to not let developers have admin accesses on the boxes for security reasons.  And when we install things in Program Files (x86)  some of the actions / functions need admin access. We observed this with RAD / Websphere test environment installation. So, we have policy to install All IBM products in C:\IBM\Rational directory structure.  Will this cause any issues, if we use the same policies to install V8 CC/CQ using 32-bit installation manager?

Thanks again

Yes, V8 CC/CQ can be installed in C:\IBM\Rational. Please change the installation path to this one when you install the products via installation manager.