IC SunsetThe developerWorks Connections Platform is now in read-only mode and content is only available for viewing. No new wiki pages, posts, or messages may be added. Please see our FAQ for more information. The developerWorks Connections platform will officially shut down on March 31, 2020 and content will no longer be available. More details available on our FAQ. (Read in Japanese.)
Topic
  • 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2019-11-10T00:05:23Z by Bacil123
AbrVibi
AbrVibi
6 Posts

Pinned topic IBM Spectrum Control Storage Insights probe issues

‏2017-08-03T16:46:36Z | control ibm insights probe spectrum storage storagecontrol tpc

Team,

I have signed up for a 30 days trial of IBM Spectrum Control Storage Insights. The data collector always shows as connected however the probe is continuously failing. 

Below error is found when I looked at the trace logs file.

This is the error we are getting on the collector side, however the collector shows always as connected.

2017-08-03 10:56:50.759 BPCCA0001I The data collector started, connected to the storage management service, and is ready to process requests from the storage management service.
2017-08-03 11:04:30.700 BPCCA0006E The data collector failed to connect to the storage management service at https://Agent- be31265d2b2a4981bf27b195f8dc9d 85.ib.ibmserviceengage.com:443 because of an unknown error.
2017-08-03 11:05:06.948 BPCCA0009I The data collector connected to the storage management service. The data collector had failed to connect since August 3, 2017 11:04:30 AM CDT.
  • Tony Narduzzi
    Tony Narduzzi
    76 Posts

Re: IBM Spectrum Control Storage Insights probe issues

‏2017-08-03T16:57:43Z  

Hello,

I work on the Storage Insights DevOps team - thank you for reporting this concern to us.  I am investigating this issue and will get back to you with an update here in this forum post as soon as I have more information to share with you.

At a high level, your instance appears to be healthy and my monitoring tools do show that you have a collector agent deployed.  It does report to us as connected.  The "unknown error" that you pasted into your description is concerning to me and I am unsure if that's still happening at this time.  If things have changed and you now see the collector agent working and the probe can run, please let us know.

I will be back in touch shortly.

Thanks.

-Tony

• AbrVibi
    AbrVibi
    6 Posts

‏2017-08-03T17:05:39Z  

Hello,

I work on the Storage Insights DevOps team - thank you for reporting this concern to us.  I am investigating this issue and will get back to you with an update here in this forum post as soon as I have more information to share with you.

At a high level, your instance appears to be healthy and my monitoring tools do show that you have a collector agent deployed.  It does report to us as connected.  The "unknown error" that you pasted into your description is concerning to me and I am unsure if that's still happening at this time.  If things have changed and you now see the collector agent working and the probe can run, please let us know.

I will be back in touch shortly.

Thanks.

-Tony

Tony,

Thanks for your quick response on this case. 

I am still having the same issue, tried all possible options. This has started from yesterday after, today I tried to install a second collector but having the same trouble.

We need your quick assistance as we are urgently looking for some performance statistics from our IBM storage systems.

• AbrVibi
    AbrVibi
    6 Posts

‏2017-08-03T17:20:51Z  
    • AbrVibi
    • ‏2017-08-03T17:05:39Z

Tony,

Thanks for your quick response on this case. 

I am still having the same issue, tried all possible options. This has started from yesterday after, today I tried to install a second collector but having the same trouble.

We need your quick assistance as we are urgently looking for some performance statistics from our IBM storage systems.

I am also uploading the trace file if you want to take a look.

Attachments

• Tony Narduzzi
    Tony Narduzzi
    76 Posts

‏2017-08-03T17:56:30Z  

I saw that you tried to open a PMR for this - I advised the L1 person who you were talking to that I am already in touch with you and to close the PMR.  Still working on it here.

• Tony Narduzzi
    Tony Narduzzi
    76 Posts

‏2017-08-03T19:23:32Z  

Hello,

We have been investigating this extensively from the Storage Insights server side - we can see that you have two collectors added and they appear to be communicating but all of your probe attempts fail the way that you indicated above.  Interestingly when I tried to connect to your collector(s) to collect some logging from them I got no response, so I would like for you to manually collect the following from one or both of your installed collector agents, and attach it here the way that you did with your other log file:

<datacollector-deployment-dir>/version.txt <-- version file
    <datacollector-deployment-dir>/log <-- directory containing all log files

Also I am curious if there is a proxy sitting between your collector agent and the internet.  Also is there a firewall? 

To connect to your instance of Storage Insights, your firewall must be configured to allow outbound communication on the default HTTPS port 443 using the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP). The User Datagram Protocol (UDP) is not supported.

Please follow up.  Thank you.

• AbrVibi
    AbrVibi
    6 Posts

‏2017-08-03T21:59:01Z  

Hello,

We have been investigating this extensively from the Storage Insights server side - we can see that you have two collectors added and they appear to be communicating but all of your probe attempts fail the way that you indicated above.  Interestingly when I tried to connect to your collector(s) to collect some logging from them I got no response, so I would like for you to manually collect the following from one or both of your installed collector agents, and attach it here the way that you did with your other log file:

<datacollector-deployment-dir>/version.txt <-- version file
    <datacollector-deployment-dir>/log <-- directory containing all log files

Also I am curious if there is a proxy sitting between your collector agent and the internet.  Also is there a firewall? 

To connect to your instance of Storage Insights, your firewall must be configured to allow outbound communication on the default HTTPS port 443 using the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP). The User Datagram Protocol (UDP) is not supported.

Please follow up.  Thank you.

I am following up with firewall/security if there is anything that is getting blocked from the collector source.

Also, here by attaching the files that you have requested.

• AbrVibi
    AbrVibi
    6 Posts

‏2017-08-04T14:01:51Z  
    • AbrVibi
    • ‏2017-08-03T21:59:01Z

I am following up with firewall/security if there is anything that is getting blocked from the collector source.

Also, here by attaching the files that you have requested.

Hi Tony,

Finally we have successfully probed one system, the second one is still running. I will update you once that is completed.

Have you done some changes at your side to make this working?

• RituMehta
    RituMehta
    1 Post

‏2018-08-30T15:58:28Z  
    • AbrVibi
    • ‏2017-08-04T14:01:51Z

Hi Tony,

Finally we have successfully probed one system, the second one is still running. I will update you once that is completed.

Hello AbrVibi,

I am curious as to how the issue was resolved. Was firewall the issue here? Is it possible for you to tell here what helped you to overcome this problem?

Thanks,

Ritu

• Bacil123
    Bacil123
    1 Post

‏2019-11-10T00:05:23Z  
    • AbrVibi
    • ‏2017-08-04T14:01:51Z

Hi Tony,

Hi  Tony, and AbrVibi,

Please update how this issue was resolved. We are getting the exact same issue when 'data collector' tries to connect to storage management service.

Thanks in advance...