1 reply Latest Post - ‏2014-04-17T11:31:00Z by Mangesh Shirke
ukaszq
ukaszq
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Adding new disks to DS3524

‏2014-04-15T08:31:44Z |

Hello,

I have IBM DS3524. It is production device. Now i have only 16 hard disks SAS with RAID5, and i want add additional 6 disks to Storage. Can i add the new disks to the DS3524 without stop I/O in the production phase?? If i add phisicaly the new disks to the Storage other luns/data will be working properly? or will be problem with access to other data on the raid5?

Thank you for your help.

• Mangesh Shirke
    Mangesh Shirke
    43 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Adding new disks to DS3524

‏2014-04-17T11:31:00Z  in response to ukaszq

Hi,

You can add new disks online in existing array. Adding hard disk in storage is online activity and do not require any downtime. Another thing is when you add that drive logically in array or add capacity in LUN, system performance may degrade because of additional load of disk restriping.

Kindly find below answers to your question.

1) Can i add the new disks to the DS3524 without stop I/O in the production phase??

Yes you can add new disks to DS3524 storage without stopping IO.

2) If i add physically the new disks to the Storage other luns/data will be working properly? or will be problem with access to other data on the raid5?

Array in which you are not adding disks will not be affected. Whereas the array/Lun in which you are adding disk/capacity may have performance impact.

Thanks.

Mangesh Shirke