Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-12T14:06:36Z by Chris006
Chris006
Chris006
19 Posts

Pinned topic re: Help with Notifications from iSeries

‏2012-12-10T16:57:52Z |
 I am a Oracle/Unix developer and  99% of our mappings are AS400 to Oracle.  I have no problem setting up the proper notification  in this source/target environment.  But we now have maps that are AS400 to AS400 and I am not getting the failure notifications I need.  I have read the documentation about message queues but it is all a little fuzzy.  Any information, snapshots or better documentation on how I can get emails of failures from iSeries would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Updated on 2012-12-12T14:06:36Z at 2012-12-12T14:06:36Z by Chris006
  • Rphilo
    Rphilo
    391 Posts

Re: re: Help with Notifications from iSeries

‏2012-12-11T06:31:53Z  
     Hi

You will need to get the assistance of you AS/400 colleagues with this one. CDC on the iSeries does not generate email alerts directly (unlike the Java-based engines). The options you have in CDC are to send the messages either to a message queue (an object type for storing messages generated by applications, the system or users) or to a program.

Your AS/400 colleagues will be able to tell you what monitoring they have in place on the iSeries, and it may be that what they have uses the message queue to determine that an error has occurred: the application sends an error message to a defined message queue and the monitoring product reads the message queue and forwards the message to some external destination,

If the AS/400 is configured to send emails, and there is not already a mechanism on the system that you can use to end emails on error, then you can get your AS/400 colleagues to create a program that you can define in the notifications. There is a sample program source in the product library for receiving alerts, and this sample source can be easily extended to use the SNDDST CL command  to generate emails,

Note that for your AS/400 to Oracle replication, you are probably only monitoring the target side and so you are not getting full coverage of errors, as there are cases where a failure on the source side does not generate an error on the target side, e.g. if a source table cannot be replicated.

Hope this helps

Robert

However, the AS/400 needs to be set up to send emails through a configuration process, this does not occur by default and if your AS/400 colleagues 

• Rphilo
    Rphilo
    391 Posts

‏2012-12-11T06:41:38Z  
    • Rphilo
    • ‏2012-12-11T06:31:53Z
     Hi

You will need to get the assistance of you AS/400 colleagues with this one. CDC on the iSeries does not generate email alerts directly (unlike the Java-based engines). The options you have in CDC are to send the messages either to a message queue (an object type for storing messages generated by applications, the system or users) or to a program.

Your AS/400 colleagues will be able to tell you what monitoring they have in place on the iSeries, and it may be that what they have uses the message queue to determine that an error has occurred: the application sends an error message to a defined message queue and the monitoring product reads the message queue and forwards the message to some external destination,

If the AS/400 is configured to send emails, and there is not already a mechanism on the system that you can use to end emails on error, then you can get your AS/400 colleagues to create a program that you can define in the notifications. There is a sample program source in the product library for receiving alerts, and this sample source can be easily extended to use the SNDDST CL command  to generate emails,

Note that for your AS/400 to Oracle replication, you are probably only monitoring the target side and so you are not getting full coverage of errors, as there are cases where a failure on the source side does not generate an error on the target side, e.g. if a source table cannot be replicated.

Hope this helps

Robert

However, the AS/400 needs to be set up to send emails through a configuration process, this does not occur by default and if your AS/400 colleagues 

Hi all

Sorry my previous post included a fragment of a sentence from a draft reply which I did not see at the bottom of the box when I saved the reply, so please ignore this

Thanks

Robert
  • Chris006
    Chris006
    19 Posts

‏2012-12-12T14:06:36Z  
    • Rphilo
    • ‏2012-12-11T06:31:53Z
     Hi

Hope this helps

Robert

Thank you.  I will request help from my AS400 administrators.