Topic
  • 13 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2016-05-13T20:19:34Z by JackCallahan
EdmundReinhardt
EdmundReinhardt
273 Posts

Pinned topic How to get activation kits for Rational Developer for i

‏2014-02-13T04:32:29Z | activation-kit license rdi

To activate your license you can use the IBM Installlation Manager as described here

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/ieduasst/rtnv1r0/topic/com.ibm.iea.rdp/rdp/8.0/Installation/ClientInstall/RDPower80EducationClientLicenseActivation.pdf

You will need an activation kit.

First you need to know if you ordered your product through the software channel (Passport Advantage) or the hardware channel (eConfig/AAS)

If you ordered through the software channel (Passport Advantage) you can get a copy of your activation kit from the Rational License Key Center.

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/rational/support/licensing/

If you ordered through the hardware channel then you can follow the instructions in the blog 

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/49773f8f-a20d-4816-86f2-44a2d862dbc1/entry/how_to_get_activation_kit_if_you_did_not_order_the_product_from_passport?lang=en

Hope this helps,

Edmund

Updated on 2014-02-28T18:39:01Z at 2014-02-28T18:39:01Z by EdmundReinhardt
  • Kit von Blerk
    Kit von Blerk
    2 Posts

Re: How to get activation kits for Rational Developer for i

‏2014-02-13T17:25:39Z  

Hi Edmund

Another way would be to go through the ESS (Entitled Software Support) site. Then click on software downloads and the activation kit should also be the Rational Developer RPG COBOL Tools V9 (5733-RDW) download.

Regards

Kit

• BPJN_Chris_Holko
    BPJN_Chris_Holko
    12 Posts

‏2014-02-20T16:48:00Z  

Hi Edmund

Another way would be to go through the ESS (Entitled Software Support) site. Then click on software downloads and the activation kit should also be the Rational Developer RPG COBOL Tools V9 (5733-RDW) download.

Regards

Kit

I just wanted to state, IBM has created one of the most miserable online experiences I have encountered. From obtaining the software to obtaining activation kits it is beyond reason how bad this is.

• JonParis
    JonParis
    87 Posts

‏2014-02-20T17:19:55Z  

I just wanted to state, IBM has created one of the most miserable online experiences I have encountered. From obtaining the software to obtaining activation kits it is beyond reason how bad this is.

Amen to that Chris.

I sometimes feel that this must have been the result of Rational instigating a competition to see who could design the worst possible customer experience. Sadly the winner was truly creative.

I use software from many different vendors with many different licensing schemes - this is the worst by several orders of magnitude. Far too many people just give up along the way before they get to fully appreciate the value of the tools.

There has to be a better way - I cannot believe that the additional revenues that IBM accrues by preventing people from illegally using the software comes anywhere near the amount they lose due to customer dissatisfaction.

P.S.Many thanks to Edmund for putting this in place - but it should never have been needed.

• MerlinInternationalProjects
    5 Posts

‏2014-03-22T07:45:11Z  

Hi Edmund

Regards

Kit

My 7 week experience of trying all methods ended successfully on Friday via the download method and extracting the activation kit from the .iso file.

I also purchased via the hardware channel but did not receive RDi with the other OS and licensed programs. Painfully frustrating.

• Frank Fleer
    Frank Fleer
    1 Post

‏2014-08-19T08:13:28Z  
    • JonParis
    • ‏2014-02-20T17:19:55Z

Amen to that Chris.

I sometimes feel that this must have been the result of Rational instigating a competition to see who could design the worst possible customer experience. Sadly the winner was truly creative.

I use software from many different vendors with many different licensing schemes - this is the worst by several orders of magnitude. Far too many people just give up along the way before they get to fully appreciate the value of the tools.

There has to be a better way - I cannot believe that the additional revenues that IBM accrues by preventing people from illegally using the software comes anywhere near the amount they lose due to customer dissatisfaction.

P.S.Many thanks to Edmund for putting this in place - but it should never have been needed.

Chris and Jon,

I FULLY agree with both of you.

Installing and/or upgrading this product has always been a nightmare and in fact still is. I have wasted days getting this installed over the past years. Come on IBM you can do better than that. Pushing clients away from PDM is not going to work this way.

• WTS
    WTS
    1 Post

‏2014-08-19T14:57:21Z  

As of v9.1, Authorized User activation kits are now being included with the product image when RDi is fulfilled through Passport, as well as when fulfilled through AAS.  (Floating Keys, which are imprinted with customer ID and quantity information and thus are not "generic", must still be obtained from the License Key Center).

• EdmundReinhardt
    EdmundReinhardt
    273 Posts

‏2014-08-21T14:32:30Z  
    • WTS
    • ‏2014-08-19T14:57:21Z

As of v9.1, Authorized User activation kits are now being included with the product image when RDi is fulfilled through Passport, as well as when fulfilled through AAS.  (Floating Keys, which are imprinted with customer ID and quantity information and thus are not "generic", must still be obtained from the License Key Center).

More documentation on the order fulfillment process and channels found here

• paulgjackson
    paulgjackson
    3 Posts

‏2015-09-29T23:43:52Z  
    • JonParis
    • ‏2014-02-20T17:19:55Z

Amen to that Chris.

Time for a new session at the RPG summit - How to install and activate a copy of RDi Cool

• dalejanus
    dalejanus
    3 Posts

‏2015-12-18T18:49:08Z  

Thanks to this forum, I have at least found some web sites that may help (but have not so far) when upgrading from RDI 9.1 to 9.5. 

I have a support ticket PMR 17330,082,000 and the person assigned seems to think the AAS channel, or whatever it's called, is the only thing available.  Since they can't find me, they can't help me.  Apparently they do not know about ESS channel.

But it does not matter, even though I found it from the posts in this thread.  I downloaded (by http) the activation kit, but IBM installation manger says it it does not apply to rdi.  Possibly because I downloaded and installed a trial version. 

file name=com.ibm.rational.developer.ibmi.rgpcobol.v95.pek.jar

So far I am running the trial, and my license will expire in the usual 70 days or so. 

I echo the comments:

I use software from many different vendors with many different licensing schemes - this is the worst by several orders of magnitude.

Updated on 2015-12-18T18:52:39Z at 2015-12-18T18:52:39Z by dalejanus
  • dalejanus
    dalejanus
    3 Posts

‏2015-12-18T19:15:37Z  
    • dalejanus
    • ‏2015-12-18T18:49:08Z

Thanks to this forum, I have at least found some web sites that may help (but have not so far) when upgrading from RDI 9.1 to 9.5. 

I have a support ticket PMR 17330,082,000 and the person assigned seems to think the AAS channel, or whatever it's called, is the only thing available.  Since they can't find me, they can't help me.  Apparently they do not know about ESS channel.

But it does not matter, even though I found it from the posts in this thread.  I downloaded (by http) the activation kit, but IBM installation manger says it it does not apply to rdi.  Possibly because I downloaded and installed a trial version. 

file name=com.ibm.rational.developer.ibmi.rgpcobol.v95.pek.jar

So far I am running the trial, and my license will expire in the usual 70 days or so. 

I echo the comments:

I use software from many different vendors with many different licensing schemes - this is the worst by several orders of magnitude.

just in case any one lands on this thread in the future, If you do somehow mange to download the correct activation kit (a .JAR file), installing it is not very clear.

The installation manger does not use the usual check boxes to select items.  I had 3 versions of RID and did not notice it defaulted to the first version instead of the last version, which would make more sense.  So the license file I had downloaded, which was correct for 9.5, did not work because the hard to see highlight was on 9.0.   Once I changed the highlight to 9.5, it activated as expected.

This only took 3 days.  I am interested to see if the person assigned to my PMR can figure this out.

• dalejanus
    dalejanus
    3 Posts

‏2015-12-18T19:41:39Z  
    • dalejanus
    • ‏2015-12-18T19:15:37Z

just in case any one lands on this thread in the future, If you do somehow mange to download the correct activation kit (a .JAR file), installing it is not very clear.

The installation manger does not use the usual check boxes to select items.  I had 3 versions of RID and did not notice it defaulted to the first version instead of the last version, which would make more sense.  So the license file I had downloaded, which was correct for 9.5, did not work because the hard to see highlight was on 9.0.   Once I changed the highlight to 9.5, it activated as expected.

This only took 3 days.  I am interested to see if the person assigned to my PMR can figure this out.

one last post:

Hi Dale,

I clearly understand that you dont have ICN and also you have downloaded Licenses from ESS. It clearly states that you are under ESS support. We dont support ESS products. I can provide you link which might help you with downloading licenses.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21669384

If you have any questions/concerns you need to get in contact with ESS directly. The would definetly help you with this.

-----------------------------------------------------
          Thank you for using IBM.
          -----------------------------------------------------
         xxxx xxxx
          Technical Support Engineer
          Rational software
          IBM Software Group

middleware_support@ecurep.ibm.com

• GPots2
    GPots2
    1 Post

‏2016-04-21T19:14:58Z  

Here we are almost 2 years later. Nothing has changed- nothing has been improved. The Rational Development for i and the Activation Kit download and license process

is still a nightmare. I resorted to "chatting" to an support technician about what I needed to do. I couldn't be found in the support system. Way to go ibm...

• JackCallahan
    JackCallahan
    4 Posts

‏2016-05-13T20:19:34Z  

Attempted to download RDi  v9.5, but the ESS site is unusable today  http://www-304.ibm.com/servers/eserver/ess/index.wss

Just throws this message:

Debug: internal message(code)
    Error invoking generic IMS WebService - No retry attempted.(8500)
    (View source for more details.)

And just for yucks, I can't even report the error- the contact IBM page throws up the Our Apologies busted link error.

Diificult to imagine how IBM sells services while serving up put this dreck for its existing customers.