Topic
  • 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-08-09T11:12:30Z by redshas
CognosGuy
CognosGuy
7 Posts

Pinned topic IDA Naming Standard multiple word abbreviation

‏2013-07-02T07:52:23Z |

I have multiple word entries in the Naming Standard Glossary (eg National Aeronautics Space Administration) but cannot get them to abbreviate to the abbreviation when transforming the LDM to PDM (eg NASA). 

Am I missing some configuration setting somewhere ?

thanks

• qiulu
    qiulu
    3 Posts

Re: IDA Naming Standard multiple word abbreviation

‏2013-07-02T08:44:53Z  

Hi,

If what's you want is that :

an object name in LDM is "National Aeronautics Space Administration"

and  the corresponding PDM object has a name like "NASA".

You can try this.

1.Define these 4 words in a glossary model : National, Aeronautics, Space, Administration (I think this has been done).

2.Go to "Naming standard" preference page by choose "Window - Preferences - Data Management - Naming standard"

and click tab "Physical-Table/Column" and change the "Separator" to be an empty string.

Save and Apply the changes

3. Do the transformation again

Thanks,

• reital
    reital
    58 Posts

‏2013-07-02T08:53:14Z  

Hello ~

There may be several reasons.

Does your glossary model exists in different project with the logical model, if So, you need to add the glossary model into the reference list of logical model projects. select the project which logical model hosts and open the property view, switch the Naming Standard tab and add the reference glossary model .

If still not work, you need open the preference page of IDA and navigate to Data Management -> Naming Standard. Make sure the naming in the logical model follows the pattern defined.  like if your selected.

M(Optional) P M(O) C(O) M(O) , that means naming in logical model mean following condition will be transformed to Abbreviation

1. One Primary Word.

2. 0-1 Modifier

3. 01 Modifier and 01 Classic word followed and 0-1 modifier followed.

Also , you need make sure the Abbreviation of the elements in logical model is not defined, Abbreviation in the logical model has higher priority for naming transform than glassory model .

Thanks .

-Tao

• CognosGuy
    CognosGuy
    7 Posts

‏2013-07-03T01:23:40Z  

Thanks for the prompt reply, guys.

I should have added that single word abbreviation is working fine, for example, the LDM object "National Aeronautics Space Administration" becomes NTNL_ARNT_SPCE_ADMN.

1) change the "Separator" to be an empty string - I have tried this and I get the following result : NTNLARNTSPCEADMN (plus all other objects are like this which is not desirable) instead of NASA

2) add the reference glossary model - already done

3) Make sure the naming in the logical model follows the pattern defined. - already done 

4)  make sure the Abbreviation of the elements in logical model is not defined - already done

Not sure what else to try. I have seen articles on the Interweb that seem to indicate it is possible but they dont say how !?!

Thanks
    DO 

• reital
    reital
    58 Posts

‏2013-07-03T02:38:12Z  
    • CognosGuy
    • ‏2013-07-03T01:23:40Z

I should have added that single word abbreviation is working fine, for example, the LDM object "National Aeronautics Space Administration" becomes NTNL_ARNT_SPCE_ADMN.

1) change the "Separator" to be an empty string - I have tried this and I get the following result : NTNLARNTSPCEADMN (plus all other objects are like this which is not desirable) instead of NASA

3) Make sure the naming in the logical model follows the pattern defined. - already done 

4)  make sure the Abbreviation of the elements in logical model is not defined - already done

Not sure what else to try. I have seen articles on the Interweb that seem to indicate it is possible but they dont say how !?!

Thanks
    DO 

Hi ~

In preference page, the "separator" in logical model tab is used for logical naming separation, default is "space", and the "separator" in physical tab is used to separating the physical naming.

So if you want "National Aeronautics Space Administration" become NTNL_ARNT_SPCE_ADMN.

1. In glossary model, four word with its abbreviation

National -> NTNL   Aeronautics->ARNT     Space->SPCE   Administration->ADMN

2. In logical tab of preference page, leave the separator as space and in physical tab leave the separator as "_"

3. Do transform.

So if you want "National Aeronautics Space Administration" become NASA

1. In glossary model, four word with its abbreviation

National -> N   Aeronautics->A       Space->S       Administration->A

2. In logical tab of preference page, leave the separator as space and in physical tab leave the separator as empty

3. Do transform.

Pls let me know which steps stop you and the result you are seeing.

Thanks.

-Tao

• RRL
    RRL
    6 Posts

‏2013-07-03T13:40:21Z  
    • CognosGuy
    • ‏2013-07-03T01:23:40Z

Thanks
    DO 

Try setting the Type value in the Glossary Model for the term "National Aeronautics Space Administration" to BUSINESS_TERM and the abbreviation to "NASA". The BUSINESS_TERM type value is used to abbreviate composite words.

Good luck!

Rob

• CognosGuy
    CognosGuy
    7 Posts

‏2013-07-05T02:20:09Z  
    • RRL
    • ‏2013-07-03T13:40:21Z

Try setting the Type value in the Glossary Model for the term "National Aeronautics Space Administration" to BUSINESS_TERM and the abbreviation to "NASA". The BUSINESS_TERM type value is used to abbreviate composite words.

Good luck!

Rob

I have tried this setting and it did not transform "National Aeronautics Space Administration" to NASA.

Thanks

• reital
    reital
    58 Posts

‏2013-07-05T02:56:02Z  
    • CognosGuy
    • ‏2013-07-05T02:20:09Z

I have tried this setting and it did not transform "National Aeronautics Space Administration" to NASA.

Thanks

Hi ~

I can do that using the way Rob provides.

Here is the glossary I defined.

Administrator                                                       ADMN                  P    M    CANDIDATE    
    Aeronautics                                                          ARNT                  P    M    CANDIDATE    
    National                                                                 NTNL                  P    M    CANDIDATE    
    National Aeronautics Space Administrator    NASA                 B    M    CANDIDATE    
    Space                                                                     SPCE                  P    M    CANDIDATE    

And I am using space as separator in preference page for logical model.

I have five entity with name same with glossary word, all are transformed to abbr in physical data model.

Thanks .

-Tao

• redshas
    redshas
    1 Post

‏2013-08-09T11:12:30Z  
    • reital
    • ‏2013-07-05T02:56:02Z

Hi ~

I can do that using the way Rob provides.

Here is the glossary I defined.

Administrator                                                       ADMN                  P    M    CANDIDATE    
    Aeronautics                                                          ARNT                  P    M    CANDIDATE    
    National                                                                 NTNL                  P    M    CANDIDATE    
    National Aeronautics Space Administrator    NASA                 B    M    CANDIDATE    
    Space                                                                     SPCE                  P    M    CANDIDATE    

And I am using space as separator in preference page for logical model.

I have five entity with name same with glossary word, all are transformed to abbr in physical data model.

Thanks .

-Tao

RE reital's response.  I have also tested this and it does indeed appear to work.  This makes me very happy as it has not always worked in this way.  I raised a PMR about this in 2008 so nice to see the product change.