Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-06-07T19:00:04Z by reister
reister
reister
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Export ClearQuest attachments to TFS

‏2013-06-06T12:50:50Z |

Hi all, the developer who wrote the ClearQuest schemas and code no longer works here and I was asked if there was a way to export attachments from ClearQuest to TFS. I have used the IBM Rational tools since 1997 so not a stranger to Robot, RFT, CQ, Tm, etc... Heck I remember Robot J+ and SiteCheck  :-)

Anyway I am trying to find two things within ClearQuest.

1. How do I find the network or path where we save the attahcments that are saved in ClearQuest. When I say attachments I mean screenshots, jpg, word docs, basically any attachment tied to a defect. They have to live somewhere :-)

2. Can these attachments be exported to TFS? Or do we need to manually export and import each attachment to TFS.

• pdubovitsky
    pdubovitsky
    376 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Export ClearQuest attachments to TFS

‏2013-06-06T14:47:39Z  in response to reister

Hi,

You can export records along with attachments to the file system. Whether or not you TFS can import them is a question to Microsoft.

Pavel

• reister
      reister
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-07T18:23:27Z  in response to pdubovitsky

Any idea how I export records? I see and CQ Import but not a CQ Export option. See attachment..

Attachments

Updated on 2013-06-07T18:27:13Z at 2013-06-07T18:27:13Z by reister
      • pdubovitsky
        pdubovitsky
        376 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-07T18:36:41Z  in response to reister

It can be done from the Eclipse client.

Pavel

• reister
          reister
          3 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-07T19:00:04Z  in response to pdubovitsky

YES!!!!

Exactly what I needed. Nice to know the feature is in Eclipse and not the older GUI (grrrr).

Oh well, this is good and you made a lot of people happy.

Thank you friend!

• DonaldN
    DonaldN
    247 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-07T01:34:03Z  in response to reister

With CQ API, you can use the "load" method of an "Attachment" object to write the content of the attachment to a file.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/cqhelp/v7r1m2/topic/com.ibm.rational.clearquest.apiref.doc/topics/c_attachmentfield_ovw.htm

With Attachments 2.1, you can put the attachments to an FTP server, well, another file system.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24028637

The challenge is in ClearQuest how to record the file location within TFS.

• CQAdmin
    CQAdmin
    103 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-07T11:07:38Z  in response to reister

Hello,

Adding my 2 cents-

1. How do I find the network or path where we save the attahcments that are saved in ClearQuest. When I say attachments I mean screenshots, jpg, word docs, basically any attachment tied to a defect. They have to live somewhere :-)

-Attachments are always saved in the Database which is being used with ClearQuest and they are mapped with the CQ unique ID (Record id or DB id of record, not sure on this).

2. Can these attachments be exported to TFS? Or do we need to manually export and import each attachment to TFS.

-Since there should be a proper mapping between TFS records and extracted CQ records; manual efforts are there; but one can think to write a script.

Another 2 cents- Create a new field in TFS, named as old_cq_id, and when you import the records from CQ; CQ Record ID should be given as a value to this new TFS field. This will help while writing a script for mapping attachments.

All the Best..!!!

:-)