Topic
  • No replies
BillWoodger
BillWoodger
267 Posts

Pinned topic V5.1 Documentation timing

‏2013-05-09T14:56:01Z |

V5.1 is expected towards the end of June.

When will we have the manuals available?

I assume the "Migration Guide" is a re-write to a particular structure for that type of publication.

Are the Language Reference and Programming Guide total re-writes, or effectively updates to the existing in "new clothes"?

Is there a new "Performance Tuning"  paper in the offing?

Are there existing "hints and tips" publications from the V5 Next programme, or in the pipeline?

• brataj
    brataj
    44 Posts

Re: V5.1 Documentation timing

‏2013-05-09T20:37:57Z  

Hi Bill,

Unless you're in a beta program (and therefore have signed a non-disclosure agreement), the documentation is typically not made available until very shortly before the GA date.

Bernie

• Tom.Ross
    Tom.Ross
    35 Posts

‏2013-05-10T06:24:23Z  
    • brataj
    • ‏2013-05-09T20:37:57Z

Hi Bill,

Unless you're in a beta program (and therefore have signed a non-disclosure agreement), the documentation is typically not made available until very shortly before the GA date.

Bernie

Bernie,

You got it right, the manual will go GA the same day the code does, more or less.

Bill,

I'm not sure what kind of information you want about how we changed the books. We changed them to be

as helpful as possible to customers who purchase COBOL V5.  In fact, the LRM had few changes, and the

Migration Guide had lots.  We no longer have information about how to do a runtime migration to LE, we state

that a completed runtime migration to LE is a pre-req for deploying COBOL V5.   

We will not have a Performance Tuning Paper update yet, and there are no plans for a "Hints and Tips" book.

Tom

• BillWoodger
    BillWoodger
    267 Posts

‏2013-05-10T09:41:14Z  
    • Tom.Ross
    • ‏2013-05-10T06:24:23Z

Bernie,

You got it right, the manual will go GA the same day the code does, more or less.

Bill,

I'm not sure what kind of information you want about how we changed the books. We changed them to be

as helpful as possible to customers who purchase COBOL V5.  In fact, the LRM had few changes, and the

Migration Guide had lots.  We no longer have information about how to do a runtime migration to LE, we state

We will not have a Performance Tuning Paper update yet, and there are no plans for a "Hints and Tips" book.

Tom

Thanks Tom.

I'm just wondering whether the manuals (LR and PG) will be "familiar", or a "new style". Familiar is much easier.

I wanted to know what date to start camping outside the local bookshop, as well :-) Hardcopy first-edition as a family heirloom...

I guess I didn't really mean a book for the "Hints and Tips", but your own occasional things for SHARE and suchlike. I guess you're busy enough already, until it has to happen :-)

• Tom.Ross
    Tom.Ross
    35 Posts

‏2013-05-16T18:18:02Z  

Thanks Tom.

I'm just wondering whether the manuals (LR and PG) will be "familiar", or a "new style". Familiar is much easier.

I wanted to know what date to start camping outside the local bookshop, as well :-) Hardcopy first-edition as a family heirloom...

I guess I didn't really mean a book for the "Hints and Tips", but your own occasional things for SHARE and suchlike. I guess you're busy enough already, until it has to happen :-)

Hints and tips will go into the COBOL Migration Guide as we find them.

The manuals will be just like the old ones, with some information changed.  For example, the LRM is almost entirely unchanged for COBOL V5.1

Tom

• BillWoodger
    BillWoodger
    267 Posts

‏2013-05-16T22:47:20Z  
    • Tom.Ross
    • ‏2013-05-16T18:18:02Z

Hints and tips will go into the COBOL Migration Guide as we find them.

The manuals will be just like the old ones, with some information changed.  For example, the LRM is almost entirely unchanged for COBOL V5.1

Tom

Thanks Tom.

• Dwayne_M
    Dwayne_M
    8 Posts

‏2013-06-18T21:05:31Z  

Thanks Tom.

The 5.1 docs are now available online at http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/pdthelp/v1r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.entcobol.doc_5.1%2Fsingle_template_nobrand.htm

There will be a link to them from the Enterprise COBOL for z/OS Library page *soon*.

• BillWoodger
    BillWoodger
    267 Posts

‏2013-06-18T21:43:57Z  
    • Dwayne_M
    • ‏2013-06-18T21:05:31Z

Excellent. Thanks.

I assume this, from the Migration Guide, is an unfortunate typo: "A program object is a new style GOOF (sic) executable that is the output from the binder when binding an object module from Enterprise COBOL V5.1."

• Dwayne_M
    Dwayne_M
    8 Posts

‏2013-06-19T15:10:47Z  

Excellent. Thanks.

I assume this, from the Migration Guide, is an unfortunate typo: "A program object is a new style GOOF (sic) executable that is the output from the binder when binding an object module from Enterprise COBOL V5.1."

Yes, a typo. GOOF should of course be GOFF.  When the binder produces a GOOF executable, there's probably a bug to be reported. ;-)

• brataj
    brataj
    44 Posts

‏2013-06-20T21:05:29Z  
    • Dwayne_M
    • ‏2013-06-19T15:10:47Z

Yes, a typo. GOOF should of course be GOFF.  When the binder produces a GOOF executable, there's probably a bug to be reported. ;-)

And that bug is a documentation bug... the binder doesn't produce GOFF output, it produces program objects or load modules, though not the latter in the case of Cobol v5.1.

The Cobol v5.1 compiler does produce GOFF (generalized object file format) output. While GOFF is new to Cobol, it has been around for a rather long time and used by at least C/C++ and the assembler.

So to be clear:  compiler -> GOFF -> binder -> program object.

• PeteInOxford
    PeteInOxford
    25 Posts

‏2013-08-22T16:34:59Z  
    • brataj
    • ‏2013-06-20T21:05:29Z

And that bug is a documentation bug... the binder doesn't produce GOFF output, it produces program objects or load modules, though not the latter in the case of Cobol v5.1.

The Cobol v5.1 compiler does produce GOFF (generalized object file format) output. While GOFF is new to Cobol, it has been around for a rather long time and used by at least C/C++ and the assembler.

So to be clear:  compiler -> GOFF -> binder -> program object.

Just a quick question (driven by the previous post). Does the 5.1 Compiler actually produce program objects *only*? Following on from that, don't program objects live (exclusively) in PDSE datasets? I noted only one reference to Program Objects in the manual.

I can rather easily imagine a lot of shops taking their sweet time implementing 5.1 for that reason alone (unfortunately).

• brataj
    brataj
    44 Posts

‏2013-08-22T16:46:17Z  

Just a quick question (driven by the previous post). Does the 5.1 Compiler actually produce program objects *only*? Following on from that, don't program objects live (exclusively) in PDSE datasets? I noted only one reference to Program Objects in the manual.

I can rather easily imagine a lot of shops taking their sweet time implementing 5.1 for that reason alone (unfortunately).

Yes, it's program objects exclusively.

The compiler makes use of various features, such as noload segments for debugging information, that are available only with program objects.

• PeteInOxford
    PeteInOxford
    25 Posts

‏2013-09-10T13:56:52Z  
    • brataj
    • ‏2013-08-22T16:46:17Z

Yes, it's program objects exclusively.

The compiler makes use of various features, such as noload segments for debugging information, that are available only with program objects.

Belated thanks for that, Brataj. It's good to have the background to these things sometimes!

• BillWoodger
    BillWoodger
    267 Posts

‏2014-09-07T21:11:16Z  
    • Tom.Ross
    • ‏2013-05-10T06:24:23Z

Bernie,

Bill,

Tom

Just to note that there is now a Performance Tuning guide alongside the rest of the V5.1 documentation.