Topic
12 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-09-10T13:56:52Z by PeteInOxford
BillWoodger
BillWoodger
83 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic V5.1 Documentation timing

‏2013-05-09T14:56:01Z |

V5.1 is expected towards the end of June.

When will we have the manuals available?

I assume the "Migration Guide" is a re-write to a particular structure for that type of publication.

Are the Language Reference and Programming Guide total re-writes, or effectively updates to the existing in "new clothes"?

Is there a new "Performance Tuning"  paper in the offing?

Are there existing "hints and tips" publications from the V5 Next programme, or in the pipeline?

• brataj
    brataj
    39 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: V5.1 Documentation timing

‏2013-05-09T20:37:57Z  in response to BillWoodger

Hi Bill,

Unless you're in a beta program (and therefore have signed a non-disclosure agreement), the documentation is typically not made available until very shortly before the GA date.

Bernie

• Tom.Ross
      Tom.Ross
      14 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-10T06:24:23Z  in response to brataj

Bernie,

You got it right, the manual will go GA the same day the code does, more or less.

Bill,

I'm not sure what kind of information you want about how we changed the books. We changed them to be

as helpful as possible to customers who purchase COBOL V5.  In fact, the LRM had few changes, and the

Migration Guide had lots.  We no longer have information about how to do a runtime migration to LE, we state

that a completed runtime migration to LE is a pre-req for deploying COBOL V5.   

We will not have a Performance Tuning Paper update yet, and there are no plans for a "Hints and Tips" book.

Tom

• BillWoodger
        BillWoodger
        83 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-10T09:41:14Z  in response to Tom.Ross

Thanks Tom.

I'm just wondering whether the manuals (LR and PG) will be "familiar", or a "new style". Familiar is much easier.

I wanted to know what date to start camping outside the local bookshop, as well :-) Hardcopy first-edition as a family heirloom...

I guess I didn't really mean a book for the "Hints and Tips", but your own occasional things for SHARE and suchlike. I guess you're busy enough already, until it has to happen :-)

• Tom.Ross
          Tom.Ross
          14 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-16T18:18:02Z  in response to BillWoodger

Hints and tips will go into the COBOL Migration Guide as we find them.

The manuals will be just like the old ones, with some information changed.  For example, the LRM is almost entirely unchanged for COBOL V5.1

Tom

• BillWoodger
            BillWoodger
            83 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-16T22:47:20Z  in response to Tom.Ross

Thanks Tom.

• Dwayne_M
              Dwayne_M
              8 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-18T21:05:31Z  in response to BillWoodger

The 5.1 docs are now available online at http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/pdthelp/v1r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.entcobol.doc_5.1%2Fsingle_template_nobrand.htm

There will be a link to them from the Enterprise COBOL for z/OS Library page *soon*.

• BillWoodger
                BillWoodger
                83 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-18T21:43:57Z  in response to Dwayne_M

Excellent. Thanks.

I assume this, from the Migration Guide, is an unfortunate typo: "A program object is a new style GOOF (sic) executable that is the output from the binder when binding an object module from Enterprise COBOL V5.1."

• Dwayne_M
                  Dwayne_M
                  8 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-19T15:10:47Z  in response to BillWoodger

Yes, a typo. GOOF should of course be GOFF.  When the binder produces a GOOF executable, there's probably a bug to be reported. ;-)

• brataj
                    brataj
                    39 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-20T21:05:29Z  in response to Dwayne_M

And that bug is a documentation bug... the binder doesn't produce GOFF output, it produces program objects or load modules, though not the latter in the case of Cobol v5.1.

The Cobol v5.1 compiler does produce GOFF (generalized object file format) output. While GOFF is new to Cobol, it has been around for a rather long time and used by at least C/C++ and the assembler.

So to be clear:  compiler -> GOFF -> binder -> program object.

• PeteInOxford
                      PeteInOxford
                      25 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-22T16:34:59Z  in response to brataj

Just a quick question (driven by the previous post). Does the 5.1 Compiler actually produce program objects *only*? Following on from that, don't program objects live (exclusively) in PDSE datasets? I noted only one reference to Program Objects in the manual.

I can rather easily imagine a lot of shops taking their sweet time implementing 5.1 for that reason alone (unfortunately).

• brataj
                        brataj
                        39 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-22T16:46:17Z  in response to PeteInOxford

Yes, it's program objects exclusively.

The compiler makes use of various features, such as noload segments for debugging information, that are available only with program objects.

• PeteInOxford
                          PeteInOxford
                          25 Posts
                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-10T13:56:52Z  in response to brataj

Belated thanks for that, Brataj. It's good to have the background to these things sometimes!