• 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-07-24T00:27:28Z by Okonita
Okonita
Okonita
9 Posts

Pinned topic Creating Explain Tables from Data Studio

‏2013-07-22T07:22:52Z |

Hi All,

I am new with this tool - IBM Data Studio. Can someone please describe how to generate the full complement of the EXPLAIN tables using data studio.

In the past, for example, the deprecated control center will generate the necessary tables if none exist for your schema. It seems to me that Data Studio should retain the feature. I just don't know how to make it work for me.

Can someone describe the steps to generate the explain tables from Data Studio?

Thanks very much,

Okonita

• cbuzzo
    cbuzzo
    5 Posts

Re: Creating Explain Tables from Data Studio

‏2013-07-23T14:06:41Z  

Hi Okonita,

when I installed Optim Query Tuner (that can be launched from the Optim Data Studio interface) and I started tunig DB2 for z/Os systems, the tool found that the necessary explain tables were not already installed and gave me the the possibility to create some of this objects through an advisor. 

I don't know if there's another way of creating explain tables with Data Studio, but you can also run the DSNTESC or DSNTIJOS members of the SDSNSAMP library to create the objects.

I've posted recently some tips for using one of the explain tables (DSN_STATEMENT_CACHE_TABLE):

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=ba1dec8b-79bc-4e74-a9c0-4f55cd6b5712&ps=25

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Cesar Buzzo

Updated on 2013-07-23T19:22:14Z at 2013-07-23T19:22:14Z by cbuzzo
  • Okonita
    Okonita
    9 Posts

Re: Creating Explain Tables from Data Studio

‏2013-07-24T00:27:28Z  
    • cbuzzo
    • ‏2013-07-23T14:06:41Z

Hi Okonita,

when I installed Optim Query Tuner (that can be launched from the Optim Data Studio interface) and I started tunig DB2 for z/Os systems, the tool found that the necessary explain tables were not already installed and gave me the the possibility to create some of this objects through an advisor. 

I don't know if there's another way of creating explain tables with Data Studio, but you can also run the DSNTESC or DSNTIJOS members of the SDSNSAMP library to create the objects.

I've posted recently some tips for using one of the explain tables (DSN_STATEMENT_CACHE_TABLE):

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=ba1dec8b-79bc-4e74-a9c0-4f55cd6b5712&ps=25

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Cesar Buzzo

Cesar,

First, thanks a million for taking a stab at helping out. Yes, I did find the sample members you mentioned above and I will use if all else fails.

But I did find how to generate the explain tables from Data Studio...login to DS, explain navigate to Data Source perspective, cut and paste any SQL for tuning into the editor pane, click on explain SQL and if your schema does not have any associated plan and other explain tables exist already, Data Studio will offer to create them. You can follow the instructions from that point on. That's the way control Center use to do it and that is what I was looking for.

All said and done, I thank you for your assistance...

okonita