Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-07-03T17:02:45Z by OpherB
TheBrenda
TheBrenda
3 Posts

Pinned topic Using SDK to run multiple versions of same report

‏2013-07-02T21:52:34Z |

I have a report that gives the sales detail for a city. City is a parameter to the report. The reports are to be emailed. City managers only  need one copy of the report with their city as the parameter. But regional managers need several copies of the report run, one for each city. Also, the regional managers would like to get their reports as seperate pages in a single Excel workbook (but that is a nice to have). The main issue is the sheer number of schedules will be a night mare to setup and maintain. This is a large company.

Wondering if the SDK (which i have never used) can take a spreadheet as input with email, parameter list, and generate the reports from this list based on a first of month schedule. Also, can the SDK make multiple copies of the same report with different parameters act like multiple pages of the same report so that it ends up in the same workbook? Or some other ideas how ease the schedule input and maintenance and how to deliver the reports in a single Workbook.

Can it be done with a Cognos Script? Looking for ideas.

Thanks

• OpherB
    OpherB
    3 Posts

Re: Using SDK to run multiple versions of same report

‏2013-07-02T23:08:14Z  

Wow - CognosScript? Really? What version are you running, Brenda? I think CS ended with Impromptu 7.5...

Anyway, if you've never used the SDK you don't want to go that route. I've seen seasoned professional programmers sobbing over the SDK more than once.

Look in the Report Studio User Guide for "Bursting Reports". That's what you want to do. Nice, neat, done.

Good luck,
    Opher

• TheBrenda
    TheBrenda
    3 Posts

‏2013-07-03T13:57:58Z  
    • OpherB
    • ‏2013-07-02T23:08:14Z

Wow - CognosScript? Really? What version are you running, Brenda? I think CS ended with Impromptu 7.5...

Anyway, if you've never used the SDK you don't want to go that route. I've seen seasoned professional programmers sobbing over the SDK more than once.

Look in the Report Studio User Guide for "Bursting Reports". That's what you want to do. Nice, neat, done.

Good luck,
    Opher

Cognos 10.1

I did not know there was a specific "CognosScript". I am new to Cognos, was just asking if some general script tool was available.

I looked at Bursting Reports and did not think it sounded like it would do what I need. First, my report is a cross tab. Second, I have a sales report that runs with one parameter (a store/city number). I want that report rerun multiple times based on a list of parameters. Bursting sounded like you were subdividing a large report. My report is small and I want to make it large ... sort of.  

Thought about what I need and to start  ... I have a single report that takes a parameter (let's say a sales report that takes a store number as input). Want to produce an Excel workbook that contains a tab for each cities' sales report. There are hundreds of cities so I am not wanting to make a single report with hundreds of pages of the exact same report. How can I accomplish this?

• TheBrenda
    TheBrenda
    3 Posts

‏2013-07-03T14:42:09Z  
    • TheBrenda
    • ‏2013-07-03T13:57:58Z

Cognos 10.1

I did not know there was a specific "CognosScript". I am new to Cognos, was just asking if some general script tool was available.

I looked at Bursting Reports and did not think it sounded like it would do what I need. First, my report is a cross tab. Second, I have a sales report that runs with one parameter (a store/city number). I want that report rerun multiple times based on a list of parameters. Bursting sounded like you were subdividing a large report. My report is small and I want to make it large ... sort of.  

Thought about what I need and to start  ... I have a single report that takes a parameter (let's say a sales report that takes a store number as input). Want to produce an Excel workbook that contains a tab for each cities' sales report. There are hundreds of cities so I am not wanting to make a single report with hundreds of pages of the exact same report. How can I accomplish this?

I am only concerned about running it from a schedule and output to Excel or PDF (maybe). Not worried about getting it to run multiple times interactively.

• OpherB
    OpherB
    3 Posts

‏2013-07-03T17:02:45Z  
    • TheBrenda
    • ‏2013-07-03T14:42:09Z

I am only concerned about running it from a schedule and output to Excel or PDF (maybe). Not worried about getting it to run multiple times interactively.

I'm surprised you came up with "CognosScript" without knowing it's history. Now that you know, you can forget it since it will never return (our loss, really)...

Anyway, re-do the report to get rid of the parameter. Make it one report that breaks on City/Region/Whatever and apply Bursting.

Here is a document about bursting crosstabs: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/data/library/cognos/page241.html

It's for 8.3, but nothing has changed in how bursting works.

Good luck,
    Opher