Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-08-30T11:21:02Z by eric.simpson
eric.simpson
eric.simpson
103 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Rational Developer for i V9.0 and Rational Developer for AIX and Linux V9.0 now available!

‏2013-06-14T16:58:11Z |

See the following for some of the details of the new releases:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/49773f8f-a20d-4816-86f2-44a2d862dbc1/entry/rational_developer_for_i_v9_0_and_rational_developer_for_aix_and_linux_v9_0_are_now_available?lang=en

• Eric_G
    Eric_G
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Rational Developer for i V9.0 and Rational Developer for AIX and Linux V9.0 now available!

‏2013-07-08T13:26:10Z  in response to eric.simpson

I couldn't believe it when I found that this morning.   IBM is definitively decided to continue driving us nuts with their infinite product remarketing.   Furthermore,  why having implemented an update feature in Rational Development series?   Major releases has been multiplicated in the last 2 years making the update feature useless and require a complete reinstall.   Since fixes to older versions are quickly frozen,  we can't virtualy get any bug fixes unless we upgrade.   Although we subscribe to Software Maintenance and have free upgrades,   upgrading itself is time consuming therefore,  is not free from an operational standpoint.

This is really annoying.   Will stick with v8.5 for a while.    Please issue updates or feature packs next time.

• eric.simpson
      eric.simpson
      103 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Rational Developer for i V9.0 and Rational Developer for AIX and Linux V9.0 now available!

‏2013-07-09T14:35:45Z  in response to Eric_G

Hi Eric,

I understand your point concerning providing fixpacks versus requiring complete new installs and will take this back to the team.

Regarding 9.0, there was a significant change (moving to an Eclipse 4.2 base from Eclipse 3.6 base) which forced a new install.

Thanks,

Eric

• Steve_Houts
    Steve_Houts
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-29T21:40:09Z  in response to eric.simpson

Is there a way to remove the Linux installation images and the Win 32-bit installation image?  We only want to install on Windows 7 64-bit, and we have remote developers that need to download the install image.  As it sits, the install image is 6.3GB (zipped).  We want to be able to significantly reduce that.

• eric.simpson
      eric.simpson
      103 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-30T11:21:02Z  in response to Steve_Houts

Steve,

Are you just using the 4 zip files?  Depending on what options are chosen during the install, it is possible that not all 4 zips are needed by your developers.  The zip files are intended to be a complete image so it includes files for all supported operating systems.  When using a repository (like the Web Install method of the trial), users only download the specific files needed in their particular install.  You can use the IBM Packaging Utility to create a repository on your own company's network.

Thanks,

Eric