Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-06-04T13:19:08Z by mvol
RS_UK_HAL
RS_UK_HAL
190 Posts

Pinned topic BladeCentre AMM firmware updates.

‏2013-05-09T17:12:07Z |

Has anyone got a definitive list of update instructions for how to perform AMM and I/OM updates on BladeCentre?

What are the settings required at both ends (Systems Director and AMM) that need to be set, in order to make this work?

I'm reading a great deal of details on InfoCentre and elsewhere about the prerequisites required to make this work (FTP/TFTP, SNMP settings and so on) but nothing solid or in full detail, that explains all the steps, one-by-one.

The error I'm getting is attached but I've made the changes to SNMP v3 already but it's still not working.  And what if I do not want to use SNMP v3 - does that mean I can't do any updates...?

And I have no idea what "SNMP remote access point on target system" actually means.  Does anyone...?

• --Craig
    --Craig
    16 Posts

Re: BladeCentre AMM firmware updates.

‏2013-05-10T20:52:52Z  

I don't have an exact list of steps, but hopefully I can point you in the right direction.

You must configure your AMM for SNMPv3 access, and discover it using SNMPv3 (in addition to TCP Command Mode).  Otherwise, you will not be able to push updates using Systems Director.  To verify you discovered the AMM using SNMPv3, right-click on it in the Systems Director console, and select Security --> Configure Access.  There, you should see the SNMP protocol (SNMP RSAP) and it should have access.

Once the AMM has been discovered, you must collect inventory from it.  It's the SNMPv3 access that allows Systems Director to collect enough inventory to determine compliance and therefore push updates.

Within Update Manager, you need to go into Configure Settings click on the System x and BladeCenter tab, and enable a TFTP server.  The Systems Director server itself can be the TFTP server.  If you use an external TFTP server, it must be discovered by Systems Director first.

When Systems Director pushes the update, it really just performs a SNMP SET on the OIDs that specify where the TFTP server is, which directory to look in, the name of the package to apply, and to "go".

• mvol
    mvol
    3 Posts

‏2013-05-14T11:43:42Z  

I've never tried it with SNMPv1. The RSAPs we have are TCP Command Mode and SNMP (looking at the credentials shows us it's actually SNMPv3). Also, on the AMMs set the amount of parallel TCP command mode connections to 10 (default is 1). When configuring your UserID for SNMPv3, be sure to select SET (default I believe is GET).

But....

The AMM Updates used to work for me with ISD6.2.1.2, but now they don't. I'm currently using 6.3.2.1 and we are having problems with AMM updates at two different locations. So if anyone has tested this with ISD6.3.2.1 please provide feedback on all relevant settings and stuff that might have changed since 6.2.x.

• RS_UK_HAL
    RS_UK_HAL
    190 Posts

‏2013-05-14T12:30:47Z  
    • --Craig
    • ‏2013-05-10T20:52:52Z

I don't have an exact list of steps, but hopefully I can point you in the right direction.

You must configure your AMM for SNMPv3 access, and discover it using SNMPv3 (in addition to TCP Command Mode).  Otherwise, you will not be able to push updates using Systems Director.  To verify you discovered the AMM using SNMPv3, right-click on it in the Systems Director console, and select Security --> Configure Access.  There, you should see the SNMP protocol (SNMP RSAP) and it should have access.

Once the AMM has been discovered, you must collect inventory from it.  It's the SNMPv3 access that allows Systems Director to collect enough inventory to determine compliance and therefore push updates.

Within Update Manager, you need to go into Configure Settings click on the System x and BladeCenter tab, and enable a TFTP server.  The Systems Director server itself can be the TFTP server.  If you use an external TFTP server, it must be discovered by Systems Director first.

When Systems Director pushes the update, it really just performs a SNMP SET on the OIDs that specify where the TFTP server is, which directory to look in, the name of the package to apply, and to "go".

So I have no choice but to use SNMP v3?  What if I do not wish to use it - are AMM and I/OM firmware updates tied to SNMP v3?

• --Craig
    --Craig
    16 Posts

‏2013-05-14T19:33:34Z  
    • RS_UK_HAL
    • ‏2013-05-14T12:30:47Z

So I have no choice but to use SNMP v3?  What if I do not wish to use it - are AMM and I/OM firmware updates tied to SNMP v3?

Yes, SNMPv3 is required to push updates to the AMM.

• --Craig
    --Craig
    16 Posts

‏2013-05-14T19:36:01Z  
    • mvol
    • ‏2013-05-14T11:43:42Z

I've never tried it with SNMPv1. The RSAPs we have are TCP Command Mode and SNMP (looking at the credentials shows us it's actually SNMPv3). Also, on the AMMs set the amount of parallel TCP command mode connections to 10 (default is 1). When configuring your UserID for SNMPv3, be sure to select SET (default I believe is GET).

But....

The AMM Updates used to work for me with ISD6.2.1.2, but now they don't. I'm currently using 6.3.2.1 and we are having problems with AMM updates at two different locations. So if anyone has tested this with ISD6.3.2.1 please provide feedback on all relevant settings and stuff that might have changed since 6.2.x.

It sounds like your settings are correct, assuming you also correctly specified the TFTP server to use.

You didn't mention what specifically isn't working, nor any error messages you are receiving.  Contacting the Help Center in these instances is often the fastest path to resolution.

• mvol
    mvol
    3 Posts

‏2013-06-04T13:19:08Z  
    • --Craig
    • ‏2013-05-14T19:36:01Z

It sounds like your settings are correct, assuming you also correctly specified the TFTP server to use.

You didn't mention what specifically isn't working, nor any error messages you are receiving.  Contacting the Help Center in these instances is often the fastest path to resolution.

We actually did contact IBM support and they were able to reproduce the error (An error occurred while installing update "ibm_fw_amm_bpet62u_anyos_noarch" on system "szhu6028-ilo". Possible reasons for the error include that an image file was corrupted either in the TFTP server or while it was transferred using TFTP, or the UDP port 69 on the TFTP server is blocked by a firewall.)

Turns out that with the currently available Update (BPET62Y) it works. So it might have had something to do with the firmware fileset itself. In any case the ticket was closed again, since the newest version updates fine.