• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-07-05T19:33:22Z by b-rad
b-rad
b-rad
3 Posts

Pinned topic Installing WXS 7.1.1

‏2013-05-20T16:04:14Z |

Hi,

I'm installing ODM 8.0.1, using Installation Manager. the "Event Runtime" part of the Decision Server install requires WXS.

(This install is on RHEL6.)

First I installed WAS App Server Network Deployment.

WXS doesn't have the repository.config file like WAS and ODM, so it appears I have to install it using the ./install method.

However, the install doesn't find any JRE. Even if I manually provide the path with -is:javahome it doesn't find java. Am I missing something here?

What can I do to get this installed?

Or, is there a component of ODM that I need to install first to get WXS installed?

• lisaw
    lisaw
    101 Posts

Re: Installing WXS 7.1.1

‏2013-05-20T22:47:09Z  

You are having an issue with the Install Shield Wizard.  Can you check for a file in /tmp/launch_WXS.log, that might help with figuring out why you can't get the JRE to work, or at least tell you what it thinks your operating system is.

WebSphere eXtreme Scale provides a JRE for installation and uninstallation on the installation media.  Basically if it can find the pak files in your WXS directory, you should be able to extact when running the install.  If these files are corrupt or can't be executed, this will fail.

You are correct to use the -is:javahome to specify a valid JRE, although, I think the one bundled on the media should work for you. That being said, it may not be an eXtreme Scale specific issue, but rather an Install Shield Wizard problem, which might help you in your debug where other products have had this same issue.

Here is a potential fix based on your symptoms, but with another IBM product: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v47r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.tivoli.itws.doc_8.6.0.1%2Fawspiotherlinux.htm

Try the option -is:extract on WXS/install_linux_your_arch -is:extract.  That will send your jre to a bin file in a temp directory. If you can't do that, you can validate the pak files are the issue, or you need to set permissions for files correctly.

Those are just some of my thoughts I'd try to get it working.  Hopefully some of these tips can help and good luck!

• b-rad
    b-rad
    3 Posts

‏2013-05-21T15:06:50Z  
    • lisaw
    • ‏2013-05-20T22:47:09Z

You are having an issue with the Install Shield Wizard.  Can you check for a file in /tmp/launch_WXS.log, that might help with figuring out why you can't get the JRE to work, or at least tell you what it thinks your operating system is.

WebSphere eXtreme Scale provides a JRE for installation and uninstallation on the installation media.  Basically if it can find the pak files in your WXS directory, you should be able to extact when running the install.  If these files are corrupt or can't be executed, this will fail.

You are correct to use the -is:javahome to specify a valid JRE, although, I think the one bundled on the media should work for you. That being said, it may not be an eXtreme Scale specific issue, but rather an Install Shield Wizard problem, which might help you in your debug where other products have had this same issue.

Here is a potential fix based on your symptoms, but with another IBM product: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v47r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.tivoli.itws.doc_8.6.0.1%2Fawspiotherlinux.htm

Try the option -is:extract on WXS/install_linux_your_arch -is:extract.  That will send your jre to a bin file in a temp directory. If you can't do that, you can validate the pak files are the issue, or you need to set permissions for files correctly.

Those are just some of my thoughts I'd try to get it working.  Hopefully some of these tips can help and good luck!

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the response.

I was hoping it was something simple like bc not being installed, but that was not the case.

You are correct in that the issue was mostly with the Install Shield Wizard. It was just not finding a local JRE nor was it extracting it's embedded JRE.

I was outputting the log as well and it basically said the same, can't find JRE with is:javahome and can't extract embedded JRE and that was it. Not much help there.

However, I managed to work around the problem. When I extracted the ODM tar, IBM_ODM_V8.0.1_LNX_32-64_LAUN_DISK1.tar.gz, for each disk 1/2/3.

I thought the docs I read said to combine them all into one dir. So, I copied them all from disk1/2/3 into a "full" directory. The first problem is that for whatever reason, "launchpad" doesn't run. It runs a browser, but then the message in the browser says it can't find the browser. My guess is that Java can't find the browser I suppose. So, I ran the Installation Manager install manually and went ahead with that. But then, when it comes to installing Decision Server and Event Runtime, it says WXS is needed. I've read that WXS should be an option to install from launcher, but it's not there in IM.

so, I cd to my /full/WXS dir and proceeded to run the install from there, but as indicated above it didn't work. I fought with this for a day. Even comparing two servers side by side for package differences and libraries. Even editing the install file to see if I could find the problem, but I couldn't. Today, on a whim, I tried to run the WXS installer from the old disk2 folder and it worked. So, something must have been corrupted from the original copy that I did. Or it didn't like to run from the copy for some reason.

Thanks again for your help.

• matiasg
    matiasg
    1 Post

‏2013-07-05T19:14:50Z  
    • b-rad
    • ‏2013-05-21T15:06:50Z

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the response.

I was hoping it was something simple like bc not being installed, but that was not the case.

You are correct in that the issue was mostly with the Install Shield Wizard. It was just not finding a local JRE nor was it extracting it's embedded JRE.

I was outputting the log as well and it basically said the same, can't find JRE with is:javahome and can't extract embedded JRE and that was it. Not much help there.

However, I managed to work around the problem. When I extracted the ODM tar, IBM_ODM_V8.0.1_LNX_32-64_LAUN_DISK1.tar.gz, for each disk 1/2/3.

I thought the docs I read said to combine them all into one dir. So, I copied them all from disk1/2/3 into a "full" directory. The first problem is that for whatever reason, "launchpad" doesn't run. It runs a browser, but then the message in the browser says it can't find the browser. My guess is that Java can't find the browser I suppose. So, I ran the Installation Manager install manually and went ahead with that. But then, when it comes to installing Decision Server and Event Runtime, it says WXS is needed. I've read that WXS should be an option to install from launcher, but it's not there in IM.

so, I cd to my /full/WXS dir and proceeded to run the install from there, but as indicated above it didn't work. I fought with this for a day. Even comparing two servers side by side for package differences and libraries. Even editing the install file to see if I could find the problem, but I couldn't. Today, on a whim, I tried to run the WXS installer from the old disk2 folder and it worked. So, something must have been corrupted from the original copy that I did. Or it didn't like to run from the copy for some reason.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi b-rad!

I'm having the same problem right now!

Did you figurate out the way to solve it?

Thanks!!

• b-rad
    b-rad
    3 Posts

‏2013-07-05T19:33:22Z  
    • matiasg
    • ‏2013-07-05T19:14:50Z

Hi b-rad!

I'm having the same problem right now!

Did you figurate out the way to solve it?

Thanks!!

Yes. The best answer was to make firefox work.

Uninstall your existing firefox and install at least version 10.

The other problem I had was a corrupted copy of the directory. Even though the checksum was ok, something was corrupted when I did the copy.

So, either copy it again, or run the install from your original location.

This is how i fixed firefox:

The default Firefox that gets installed with RHEL6.4 is Version 17.x.
    Launcher needs Firefox vs 10.x

install these two packages to get firefox 10 installed:
    yum install xulrunner-10.0.12-1.el6_3
    yum install firefox-10.0.12-1.el6_3

you can list older packages with:
    yum list --showduplicates firefox*

Good luck.

bb