Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-01-05T22:43:14Z by ddbug
ddbug
ddbug
7 Posts

Pinned topic How to set a pattern for work area names globally?

‏2013-12-24T14:44:13Z |

Dear experts,

is there a way to set the default rule, or pattern, by which Synergy client makes the work area subdir names, global for a given client, or a whole database (server)?

In our installation, the client insitsts on  poking a # char into WA subdirectory.

If I understand correctly this is %delimiter variable in the WA name pattern:

"%project_name%optional_project_instance%delimiter%project_version"

This # character causes us immense pain while working in  Linux environment: as you know, # is a special char for the shell.

We've been told to change the pattern for each project by the following CLI command:

ccm wa -wa  -pst

But is there a way to do this totally at the server level for all subsequent project copies and checkouts, or if this is impossible, on the level of client machine?

We have version 7.1.0.3

Thanks,

- dd

Updated on 2013-12-24T14:47:04Z at 2013-12-24T14:47:04Z by ddbug
  • rainer.oye@it-qbase.de
    10 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How to set a pattern for work area names globally?

‏2014-01-05T22:10:33Z  

Hi dd, 

as I understand this is an issue on the project-version delimiter. There are several ways for a solution.

You can change this delimiter for a whole database with the "ccm delim" command. But please be very very careful, because this takes effect everywhere, where your projects work with this delimiter. (File Structures, Scripts and so on)

"ccm delim" without more parameters simply shows, which char is used as delimiter. Default in Synergy is '~'. But '~' may cause other problems. So we use '#', but it does not apear in our directory strutures.

How to do this? Just don't use the option "include project-version in work area path" (or similar, I don't have the exact wording from the GUI at the moment). Use another strategy to separate the work-areas on a machine, e.g. use a directory struture like "<any_dir>/<my_project>/<version of project>/<contents of the project>" and you will never have problems with the delimiter in directory strutures

You have to change this for each Work-Area / Project-Version, as with the "ccm wa -wa -pst" command. Every work area has to be synced after that, if Synergy does not do automatically. Additionally you should turn off this as the default setting for every client, with setting / creating an own work area template. This can be done by command, Classic GUI or by editing ccm.ini file. About Java GUI I'm not sure actually. As I know there is no way to make a central setting for this on the server that takes effect on your clients.

But you have to do this only once. If you take care, that new client installations have the same default setting. You can provide a customized install package for your company with this included.

Hope I could give you some useful hints, Rainer

• rainer.oye@it-qbase.de
    10 Posts

‏2014-01-05T22:10:33Z  

Hi dd, 

as I understand this is an issue on the project-version delimiter. There are several ways for a solution.

You can change this delimiter for a whole database with the "ccm delim" command. But please be very very careful, because this takes effect everywhere, where your projects work with this delimiter. (File Structures, Scripts and so on)

"ccm delim" without more parameters simply shows, which char is used as delimiter. Default in Synergy is '~'. But '~' may cause other problems. So we use '#', but it does not apear in our directory strutures.

How to do this? Just don't use the option "include project-version in work area path" (or similar, I don't have the exact wording from the GUI at the moment). Use another strategy to separate the work-areas on a machine, e.g. use a directory struture like "<any_dir>/<my_project>/<version of project>/<contents of the project>" and you will never have problems with the delimiter in directory strutures

You have to change this for each Work-Area / Project-Version, as with the "ccm wa -wa -pst" command. Every work area has to be synced after that, if Synergy does not do automatically. Additionally you should turn off this as the default setting for every client, with setting / creating an own work area template. This can be done by command, Classic GUI or by editing ccm.ini file. About Java GUI I'm not sure actually. As I know there is no way to make a central setting for this on the server that takes effect on your clients.

But you have to do this only once. If you take care, that new client installations have the same default setting. You can provide a customized install package for your company with this included.

• ddbug
    ddbug
    7 Posts

‏2014-01-05T22:43:14Z  

Hi dd, 

thank you!

dd