• 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-09-26T11:06:34Z by benray
Cartertj
Cartertj
4 Posts

Pinned topic Unable to Create a View from a Windows Client

‏2013-09-19T23:33:49Z |

Hi All,

We are going through a process of updating to 7.1.2.8. we are running a vob server on linux at 7.1.0.0 and a view server on windows 2008 running 7.1.2.8 as a necessary part of out upgrade process. We presently have Windows XP clients running 7.1.2.8

I am able to create a view from the view server, but I cannot from the client. when it fails we get the message described in http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21612305 SYMPTOM 1.

We have followed the solution advice in the above tech note and in Microsoft tech note http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff686200%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

This has not resolved the problem. Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?

Cheers,

Cartertj

• Cartertj
    Cartertj
    4 Posts

Re: Unable to Create a View from a Windows Client

‏2013-09-23T08:17:05Z  

More information. I am able to start a view, but not create one.

• benray
    benray
    74 Posts

‏2013-09-23T14:33:13Z  

A few questions.

- what is the operating system on the client where mkview fails?

- what is the exact command syntax you are using that does not work and what is the error?

- what is the command on the view server that works?

- is the view to be stored on the windows view server local disk or on a NAS?

• Cartertj
    Cartertj
    4 Posts

‏2013-09-25T08:58:18Z  
    • benray
    • ‏2013-09-23T14:33:13Z

A few questions.

- what is the operating system on the client where mkview fails?

- what is the exact command syntax you are using that does not work and what is the error?

- what is the command on the view server that works?

- is the view to be stored on the windows view server local disk or on a NAS?

- what is the operating system on the client where mkview fails? Win XP

- what is the exact command syntax you are using that does not work and what is the error? I'm using the view creation wizard to create a dynamic view on an existing stream, I can start a view, just not create one. I go through the same process from the view server and it works ok.

I select a project,

I select advanced options, then select 'reuse an existing development stream',

I select a dynamic view and make sure the 'create integration view' check-box is un-ticked,

I select the Advanced options and select the server storage location,

I select finish, then I recive the following error message:

Error creating view -- 'viewName'Config spec OK, but unable to tell view server to loadView server should be restartedSet configutation spec of 'InstallPath'\default_config_spec failed: no configuration specification set'PathToVws'\.pid: No such file or directoryUnable to create view "'PathToVws'".

interestingly, if I monitor the storeage location, some files are created then deleted a second or two later.

- what is the command on the view server that works? I am using the wizard with the following selections:

I select an existing view

uncheck the restart at logon

leave the default drive selected

select OK, and the view starts.

- is the view to be stored on the windows view server local disk or on a NAS? NAS

Updated on 2013-09-25T09:00:14Z at 2013-09-25T09:00:14Z by Cartertj
  • benray
    benray
    74 Posts

‏2013-09-25T13:52:00Z  
    • Cartertj
    • ‏2013-09-25T08:58:18Z

- what is the operating system on the client where mkview fails? Win XP

- what is the exact command syntax you are using that does not work and what is the error? I'm using the view creation wizard to create a dynamic view on an existing stream, I can start a view, just not create one. I go through the same process from the view server and it works ok.

I select a project,

I select advanced options, then select 'reuse an existing development stream',

I select a dynamic view and make sure the 'create integration view' check-box is un-ticked,

I select the Advanced options and select the server storage location,

I select finish, then I recive the following error message:

<pre dir="ltr" style="margin-left: 80px">Error creating view -- 'viewName'Config spec OK, but unable to tell view server to loadView server should be restartedSet configutation spec of 'InstallPath'\default_config_spec failed: no configuration specification set'PathToVws'\.pid: No such file or directoryUnable to create view "'PathToVws'". </pre>

interestingly, if I monitor the storeage location, some files are created then deleted a second or two later.

- what is the command on the view server that works? I am using the wizard with the following selections:

I select an existing view

uncheck the restart at logon

leave the default drive selected

select OK, and the view starts.

- is the view to be stored on the windows view server local disk or on a NAS? NAS

Part of the view creation process involves handing control back to the client to write the config spec and I think that is where it is stuck. Are you able to create a view on the same NAS share without hosting the view_server process on the server? For example, can you do:

cleartool mkview -tag <view tag> -host <xp hostname> -hpath <unc path to the NAS view storage> -gpath <same unc path> <same unc path>

• Cartertj
    Cartertj
    4 Posts

‏2013-09-26T06:50:49Z  
    • benray
    • ‏2013-09-25T13:52:00Z

Part of the view creation process involves handing control back to the client to write the config spec and I think that is where it is stuck. Are you able to create a view on the same NAS share without hosting the view_server process on the server? For example, can you do:

cleartool mkview -tag <view tag> -host <xp hostname> -hpath <unc path to the NAS view storage> -gpath <same unc path> <same unc path>

Yes I was able to create a view using that mechanism.

For completeness, I tried the same command using the view server as the host substituting only the hostname and tag. I recieved a different error to the one I recieved while using the Wizard:

cleartool: Error: Unable to contact albd_server on host <hostName>

cleartool: Error: Cannot bind an admin_server handle on <hostName> : ClearCase object not found.

cleartool: Error: unable to remove <StorageLocation>: The directory is not empty.

cleartool: Error: <StorageLocation>: Directory not empty

cleartool: Error: Unable to create view <StorageLocation>.

Since I can create a view from the view server I was pretty sure the albd_server is running. So I checked to make sure I could ping the view server and was successful. I then doubled checked to make sure the albd_server was running (it was). Please also note that both machines have been restarted many times.

Updated on 2013-09-26T06:59:45Z at 2013-09-26T06:59:45Z by Cartertj
  • benray
    benray
    74 Posts

‏2013-09-26T11:06:34Z  
    • Cartertj
    • ‏2013-09-26T06:50:49Z

Yes I was able to create a view using that mechanism.

For completeness, I tried the same command using the view server as the host substituting only the hostname and tag. I recieved a different error to the one I recieved while using the Wizard:

cleartool: Error: Unable to contact albd_server on host <hostName>

cleartool: Error: Cannot bind an admin_server handle on <hostName> : ClearCase object not found.

cleartool: Error: unable to remove <StorageLocation>: The directory is not empty.

cleartool: Error: <StorageLocation>: Directory not empty

cleartool: Error: Unable to create view <StorageLocation>.

Since I can create a view from the view server I was pretty sure the albd_server is running. So I checked to make sure I could ping the view server and was successful. I then doubled checked to make sure the albd_server was running (it was). Please also note that both machines have been restarted many times.

There are a couple causes for "Cannot bind an admin_server handle". I'd suggest you open a PMR so we can get detailed information about the hosts involved and possibly a network trace captured during the failed mkview.