4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-05-23T06:02:40Z by techFanatic
techFanatic
techFanatic
32 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Status not propagating to parent service

‏2013-05-20T11:09:19Z |

Hi ,
Im facing a peculiar problem in TBSM 6.1.I have added any child rule on template A causing it to go marginal/bad when either of H/C go marginal/bad.The propagation of status happens correctly till Service H/C but it does not reflect in A even though the correct rules have been applied on template A.I cant seem to figure the reason behind this unusual behavior of TBSM.I have tried deleting the rules and re-adding them/changing the name of the rule but nothing helps.Can someone help me out with this..?

Thanks,
techFanatic

Attachments

• randybrown
    randybrown
    54 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Status not propagating to parent service

‏2013-05-20T13:04:11Z  in response to techFanatic

Hi,

The default propagation in TBSM is based on the template. So when you define a Good, Bad, Marginal aggregation rule, you select a template as part of the rule definition. The child services that will propagate status must be tagged with that selected template.

You can override this behavior by changing the Propagation Type to child instance when defining the GBM aggregation rule  on the template for A. This is called instance propagation and will require you create an additional template for H and C. The new template does not require any status rules but provides a template for use on the aggregation rule on A's template. You may need to refer to the TBSM Service Configuration Guide for more information on how to set up the instance propagation for a TBSM template.

If you think you have this all set up correctly, you might want to export your template for A (and maybe H and C) and attach it to the forum. You can do this by going to TBSM_HOME/XMLToolkit/bin and issuing:

tbsm_export -directory output_directory -category templates -name templateName

substituting for output_directory and templateName.

Hope that helps...

Randy Brown

• techFanatic
      techFanatic
      32 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-20T17:05:03Z  in response to randybrown

Hi Randy,

tbsm_export is not supported for me.I have applied GBM aggregation rule and chosen the default-child template and any child.One thing I observed is that if either C/H go bad then A goes bad but if C/H goes marginal then A remains good.Anything else that can be done?

Regards,

techFanatic

• randybrown
        randybrown
        54 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-20T19:43:06Z  in response to techFanatic

Hi,

Sorry, tbsm_export support was added in 6.1. There is a utility called rad_radshell that can run various export commands if we end up requiring further investigation.

I have set up what I believe to be a similar scenario on my 6.1.1 dev environment and I am able to propagate red or yellow. I added a template called "instance_propagation_template" and tagged it to my child service. I configured the parent template GBM aggregation rule as illustrated in the attachment.

I highlighted the template name, the Propagation Type, and the Output Severity. Hopefully this illustration will help as your description sounds accurate.

Let me know if this doesn't help...

Randy Brown

• techFanatic
          techFanatic
          32 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-23T06:02:40Z  in response to randybrown

Hi Randy,

I just realised that I had unknowingly added an output expression on template A that prevented Service A from going marginal.Removing this output expression , everything works fine now.Thanks for you help.

Regards,

techFanatic