Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-07-22T12:11:51Z by marknolan
marknolan
marknolan
8 Posts

Pinned topic Common Agent and Platform Agents?

‏2013-07-18T07:14:13Z |

Hi all,

I wondered if someone could answer (a maybe basic) question?

Firstly, I have a mix off different servers in our estate: Wintel, AIX, ESX and Linux.

I want to use Systems Director to monitor just the hardware on these systems as we will be using BMC Patrol to monitor memory, CPU, disks etc.

What agents to I need to use to do this?

I was thinking that I just need the Platform agent for this? Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

• gcorneau
    gcorneau
    234 Posts

Re: Common Agent and Platform Agents?

‏2013-07-18T13:57:24Z  

As a quick note, it is not supported to manage AIX operating systems by just the Platform Agent.  They support either Agentless (ssh) or Common Agent.

What capabilities you for different OSes and the Agents can be found in the InfoCenter:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/director/pubs/topic/com.ibm.director.plan.helps.doc/fqm0_r_os_support_by_ibm_director_task.html

Monitoring Problems (hardware status) can be done using the Platform Agent for more OSes (not AIX).

Monitoring hardware problems for Power Systems that are managed by an HMC require discovery and access to the HMC.  HMC communication is Agentless (ssh and CIM).

• marknolan
    marknolan
    8 Posts

Re: Common Agent and Platform Agents?

‏2013-07-22T12:11:51Z  
    • gcorneau
    • ‏2013-07-18T13:57:24Z

As a quick note, it is not supported to manage AIX operating systems by just the Platform Agent.  They support either Agentless (ssh) or Common Agent.

What capabilities you for different OSes and the Agents can be found in the InfoCenter:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/director/pubs/topic/com.ibm.director.plan.helps.doc/fqm0_r_os_support_by_ibm_director_task.html

Monitoring Problems (hardware status) can be done using the Platform Agent for more OSes (not AIX).

Monitoring hardware problems for Power Systems that are managed by an HMC require discovery and access to the HMC.  HMC communication is Agentless (ssh and CIM).

Hi,

Thanks once again for the assistance

Regards,

Mark