Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2015-04-10T11:48:06Z by Prathmesh
DemianPH
DemianPH
1 Post

Pinned topic Processing nmon for web viewing.

‏2013-10-15T15:25:45Z |

I wanted to create a website individuals can go to that when they login they can see nmon charts (select by date) and be limited to the system associated with their login.

At first I thought ganglia would work, but users can see all or nothing there is no granularity.

So I looked again at the nmon tools available and I think if I used nmon2web to generate them and then have my web server funnel users into the proper place based on sign-on that would do it.

Is there a better way?

• VesaSaarenpää
    VesaSaarenpää
    4 Posts

Re: Processing nmon for web viewing.

‏2013-10-16T08:42:54Z  

14. (Edison's Law) "Better" is the enemy of "good".

Thats a way to do it. I just use nmon2rrd with the same method.

• BruceSpencer
    BruceSpencer
    297 Posts

‏2013-10-17T15:07:35Z  

14. (Edison's Law) "Better" is the enemy of "good".

Thats a way to do it. I just use nmon2rrd with the same method.

Here's a list of "Other" performance monitoring tools.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/Power%20Systems/page/Other%20Performance%20Tools

For web access, the choices include nmon2rrd, nmon2web, lpar2rrd,  (There's a couple others on the above URL that might work, that I haven't seen.)

The nmon2rrd is very good. However, a limitation is that is shows only one partition. 

The nmon2web is similar to nmon2rrd, but includes aggregate charts of all partitions on the frame. It also includes an "nmon consolidator" function to do performance "what if's" for combining different partitions.

The lpar2rrd is really good, but I understand it's CPU only.  No I/O. (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  

Hope this helps.

• Prathmesh
    Prathmesh
    10 Posts

‏2015-04-09T09:52:17Z  

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/Power%20Systems/page/Other%20Performance%20Tools

For web access, the choices include nmon2rrd, nmon2web, lpar2rrd,  (There's a couple others on the above URL that might work, that I haven't seen.)

The nmon2rrd is very good. However, a limitation is that is shows only one partition. 

The nmon2web is similar to nmon2rrd, but includes aggregate charts of all partitions on the frame. It also includes an "nmon consolidator" function to do performance "what if's" for combining different partitions.

The lpar2rrd is really good, but I understand it's CPU only.  No I/O. (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  

Hope this helps.

Hi Bruce,

I've a question regarding my nmon2web.I'm not able to see CPU and memory charts for one of my Linux servers.It shows only the disk graphs.

Can you please help me in resolving this as I need to get this working asap.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Prathmesh Vaidya

• nagger
    nagger
    1689 Posts

‏2015-04-10T09:36:52Z  

Hi Bruce,

I've a question regarding my nmon2web.I'm not able to see CPU and memory charts for one of my Linux servers.It shows only the disk graphs.

Can you please help me in resolving this as I need to get this working asap.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Prathmesh Vaidya

Hi,

Bruce is no longer with IBM so I don't know how to contact him directly.

Can you checked the log files of the missing date? Perhaps it is telling you there is a problem and dropping you hints..

Have you filled up the filesystem or a file permission issue?

I would first check the recent nmon files using the nmon analyser to make sure the data looks OK.

- you should be using the latest nmon for Linux 14g or i version.

Then you might have corrupt the rrdtool files for CPU and Memory. You can use rrdtool directly on the files to extract the data as text. At least you can compare the disk output with the CPU/memory to determine if data is missing from the database files.

Best of luck, Nigel

• Pave1
    Pave1
    48 Posts

‏2015-04-10T11:03:51Z  

Hope this helps.

Just correcting Bruce regarding lpar2rrd as he has asked for :)

We are able to monitor memory/LAN/SAN/paging either via the OS agent or by processing NMON files for a long time already .

However we are monitoring (graphing) only most important metrics, we do not inted to graph everything what NMON provides.

• Prathmesh
    Prathmesh
    10 Posts

‏2015-04-10T11:48:06Z  
    • nagger
    • ‏2015-04-10T09:36:52Z

Hi,

Bruce is no longer with IBM so I don't know how to contact him directly.

Can you checked the log files of the missing date? Perhaps it is telling you there is a problem and dropping you hints..

Have you filled up the filesystem or a file permission issue?

I would first check the recent nmon files using the nmon analyser to make sure the data looks OK.

- you should be using the latest nmon for Linux 14g or i version.

Then you might have corrupt the rrdtool files for CPU and Memory. You can use rrdtool directly on the files to extract the data as text. At least you can compare the disk output with the CPU/memory to determine if data is missing from the database files.

Best of luck, Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your reply.

This is the original post that I started.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=fa37b70a-14ae-433c-95b7-d7bf91985f1f

I've put my problem more descriptively here.It will be great if you can reply there after you go through it.

Regards,

Prathmesh Vaidya