• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-08-27T20:03:02Z by pvallen
Janik_Zikovsky
Janik_Zikovsky
10 Posts

Pinned topic StreamsStudio error connecting to instance

‏2013-08-27T15:10:35Z |

Hello,

I am consistently getting this error: "Unable to retrieve instance resource information from the SRM: operation failed" whenever I restart StreamsStudio. The only situation where StreamsStudio can connect to a running Streams instance is after installing or re-installing it.

My instance is created correctly and jobs run if I submit them via the command line. I can see the instance in the Streams Explorer view of StreamsStudio. Here is the output of running "start instance" from StreamsStudio:

INFO:CDISC0078I The system is starting the runtime services on 1 hosts.

INFO:CDISC0056I The system is starting the distributed name service on the streams-centos host. The distributed name service has 1 partitions and 1 replications.

INFO:CDISC0057I The system is setting the NameServiceUrl property of the instance to DN:streams-centos:44668, which is the URL of the distributed name service that is running.
INFO:CDISC0061I The system is starting in parallel the runtime services of 1 management hosts.
INFO:CDISC0003I The instance1@streamsadmin instance was started.
Start Instance instance1@streamsadmin failed: Unable to refresh the instance state: Unable to retrieve instance resource information from the SRM: operation failed.
Start instance completed.
Refresh Instance instance1@streamsadmin failed: Unable to refresh the instance state: Unable to retrieve instance resource information from the SRM: operation failed.
  • pvallen
    pvallen
    18 Posts

Re: StreamsStudio error connecting to instance

‏2013-08-27T17:38:31Z  

I don't think we've seen a case like this where start instance works successfully and then the refresh (I assume occurred shorty after) failed.

What version of Streams are you you using?

It seems like there may be a problem connecting from the host where Streams Studio is running to the running instance. Can you run the following command from the Streams Studio host and post the results?

- streamtool checkhost -i <iid>

- streamtool checkhost -i <iid> -conn

Also, open the Eclipse Error view in Streams Studio: Window -> Show View -> Other... -> General -> Error Log

The error log entries are time stamped so you can see if there are any errors logged near the time of the failure. You could post the error log here but be aware that it may contain names and IP addresses of systems on your network in case that is a concern. The Eclipse error log is located at <workspace>/.metadata/.log

Thanks,

Paul Allen

• Janik_Zikovsky
    Janik_Zikovsky
    10 Posts

‏2013-08-27T18:08:56Z  
    • pvallen
    • ‏2013-08-27T17:38:31Z

I don't think we've seen a case like this where start instance works successfully and then the refresh (I assume occurred shorty after) failed.

What version of Streams are you you using?

It seems like there may be a problem connecting from the host where Streams Studio is running to the running instance. Can you run the following command from the Streams Studio host and post the results?

- streamtool checkhost -i <iid>

- streamtool checkhost -i <iid> -conn

Also, open the Eclipse Error view in Streams Studio: Window -> Show View -> Other... -> General -> Error Log

The error log entries are time stamped so you can see if there are any errors logged near the time of the failure. You could post the error log here but be aware that it may contain names and IP addresses of systems on your network in case that is a concern. The Eclipse error log is located at <workspace>/.metadata/.log

Thanks,

Paul Allen

Thanks for your reply,

I am using Streams 3.1. I am currently running the streams instance one the same host as StreamsStudio, logged in as the same user. I am including the result of checkhost and eclipses .metadata/.log file. In this case, the instance was already started when I started StreamsStudio.

[streamsadmin@streams-centos ~]$ streamtool checkhost

Date: Tue Aug 27 14:05:14 EDT 2013
    Host: streams-centos  
    Instance: instance1@streamsadmin
    1 Hosts to check: streams-centos
    Reference host: streams-centos

=============================================================
    Phase 1 - per-host public key ssh connectivity test...

Checking host 1 of 1: streams-centos...  host OK

Phase 1 - public key ssh connectivity test summary:
    1 OK hosts.
    0 problem hosts: 

Phase 2 - per-host dependency checking...

Phase 2 - per host dependency checking summary:
    1 OK hosts.
    0 problem hosts: 
    0 problem categories: 

Detailed host results
    Verbosity level: 1 

Overall Summary

1 hosts checked.
    1 OK hosts.
    0 problem hosts: 
    [streamsadmin@streams-centos ~]$ streamtool checkhost -conn

Checking connectivity between the following hosts:

streams-centos

Checking host: streams-centos...

There were no failures found validating connectivity between hosts.

[streamsadmin@streams-centos ~]$ 

(contents of eclipse error log):

!SESSION 2013-08-27 14:03:57.794 -----------------------------------------------
    eclipse.buildId=unknown
    java.version=1.7.0_25
    java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
    BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
    Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.registry 2 0 2013-08-27 14:03:59.398
    !MESSAGE The extensions and extension-points from the bundle "ilog.views.eclipse.diagrammer.runtime" are ignored. The bundle is not marked as singleton. 

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.registry 2 0 2013-08-27 14:03:59.399
    !MESSAGE The extensions and extension-points from the bundle "ilog.views.eclipse.framework.runtime" are ignored. The bundle is not marked as singleton. 

!ENTRY com.ibm.streams.studio.runtime.services 4 0 2013-08-27 14:04:08.581
    !MESSAGE SRM Exception for instance instance1@streamsadmin
    !STACK 0
    com.ibm.distillery.utils.CorbaRPCClientException: Error running rpc -- CAUSE EXCEPTION com.ibm.distillery.utils.CorbaRPCClientException: RPC failure: org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE:   vmcid: SUN  minor code: 201  completed: No,  location=,  backtrace=,  exceptionCode= DistilleryExceptionCode object - Message id = NoMessageId,  number of substitution text=0 -- END CAUSE EXCEPTION ,  location=,  backtrace=,  exceptionCode= DistilleryExceptionCode object - Message id = CDISR1500E,  number of substitution text=1,  SRM
    at com.ibm.streams.srm.SRMClient.run(SRMClient.java:485)
    at com.ibm.streams.srm.SRMClient.getInstanceState(SRMClient.java:436)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.runtime.services.InstanceStatePopulator.retrieveSrmInstanceState(InstanceStatePopulator.java:2097)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.runtime.services.InstanceStatePopulator.doRefreshStartedInstance(InstanceStatePopulator.java:1369)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.runtime.services.InstanceStatePopulator.doRefreshModel(InstanceStatePopulator.java:1289)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.runtime.services.InstanceStatePopulator.refreshModelNotOptimized(InstanceStatePopulator.java:958)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.impl.StreamsInstanceImpl$24.run(StreamsInstanceImpl.java:1765)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.impl.StreamsInstanceImpl.doUnderRefreshModelLock(StreamsInstanceImpl.java:228)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.impl.StreamsInstanceImpl.refreshModel(StreamsInstanceImpl.java:1757)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.impl.StreamsInstallationImpl.refresh(StreamsInstallationImpl.java:500)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.base.internal.StreamsInstallationUtilities$3.run(StreamsInstallationUtilities.java:150)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)
    Caused by: com.ibm.distillery.utils.CorbaRPCClientException: RPC failure: org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE:   vmcid: SUN  minor code: 201  completed: No,  location=,  backtrace=,  exceptionCode= DistilleryExceptionCode object - Message id = NoMessageId,  number of substitution text=0
    at com.ibm.distillery.utils.CorbaRPCOp.execute(CorbaRPCOp.java:207)
    at com.ibm.streams.srm.SRMBaseCorbaRPCOp.run(SRMBaseCorbaRPCOp.java:60)
    at com.ibm.streams.srm.SRMClient.run(SRMClient.java:475)
    ... 11 more

!ENTRY com.ibm.streams.studio.runtime.services 4 0 2013-08-27 14:04:11.665
    !STACK 0
    com.ibm.distillery.utils.CorbaRPCClientException: Error running rpc -- CAUSE EXCEPTION com.ibm.distillery.utils.CorbaRPCClientException: RPC failure: org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE:   vmcid: SUN  minor code: 201  completed: No,  location=,  backtrace=,  exceptionCode= DistilleryExceptionCode object - Message id = NoMessageId,  number of substitution text=0 -- END CAUSE EXCEPTION ,  location=,  backtrace=,  exceptionCode= DistilleryExceptionCode object - Message id = CDISR1500E,  number of substitution text=1,  SRM
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.runtime.services.InstanceStatePopulator.retrieveSrmInstanceState(InstanceStatePopulator.java:2097)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.runtime.services.InstanceStatePopulator.doRefreshStartedInstance(InstanceStatePopulator.java:1369)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.runtime.services.InstanceStatePopulator.doRefreshModel(InstanceStatePopulator.java:1289)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.runtime.services.InstanceStatePopulator.refreshModel(InstanceStatePopulator.java:1058)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.impl.StreamsInstanceImpl.unsafeDoRefreshModelOptimized(StreamsInstanceImpl.java:1873)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.impl.StreamsInstanceImpl.access$7(StreamsInstanceImpl.java:1853)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.impl.StreamsInstanceImpl$25.run(StreamsInstanceImpl.java:1849)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.impl.StreamsInstanceImpl.doUnderRefreshModelLock(StreamsInstanceImpl.java:228)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.impl.StreamsInstanceImpl.doRefreshModelOptimized(StreamsInstanceImpl.java:1846)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.impl.StreamsInstanceImpl.access$1(StreamsInstanceImpl.java:1842)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.impl.StreamsInstanceImpl$1.run(StreamsInstanceImpl.java:630)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.internal.platform.eclipse.EclipsePeriodicRefreshRunner$1.run(EclipsePeriodicRefreshRunner.java:115)
    Caused by: com.ibm.distillery.utils.CorbaRPCClientException: RPC failure: org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE:   vmcid: SUN  minor code: 201  completed: No,  location=,  backtrace=,  exceptionCode= DistilleryExceptionCode object - Message id = NoMessageId,  number of substitution text=0
    ... 14 more

!ENTRY com.ibm.streams.studio.runtime.services 4 0 2013-08-27 14:04:14.717
    !STACK 0
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.runtime.services.InstanceStatePopulator.refreshModel(InstanceStatePopulator.java:1058)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.impl.StreamsInstanceImpl.unsafeDoRefreshModelOptimized(StreamsInstanceImpl.java:1873)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.impl.StreamsInstanceImpl.access$7(StreamsInstanceImpl.java:1853)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.impl.StreamsInstanceImpl$25.run(StreamsInstanceImpl.java:1849)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.impl.StreamsInstanceImpl.doRefreshModelOptimized(StreamsInstanceImpl.java:1846)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.impl.StreamsInstanceImpl.access$1(StreamsInstanceImpl.java:1842)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.impl.StreamsInstanceImpl$1.run(StreamsInstanceImpl.java:630)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.internal.platform.eclipse.EclipsePeriodicRefreshRunner$1.run(EclipsePeriodicRefreshRunner.java:115)
    ... 14 more

!ENTRY com.ibm.streams.studio.runtime.services 4 0 2013-08-27 14:04:17.717
    !STACK 0
    ... 14 more
  • pvallen
    pvallen
    18 Posts

‏2013-08-27T20:03:02Z  

Thanks for your reply,

I am using Streams 3.1. I am currently running the streams instance one the same host as StreamsStudio, logged in as the same user. I am including the result of checkhost and eclipses .metadata/.log file. In this case, the instance was already started when I started StreamsStudio.

[streamsadmin@streams-centos ~]$ streamtool checkhost

Date: Tue Aug 27 14:05:14 EDT 2013
    Host: streams-centos  
    Instance: instance1@streamsadmin
    1 Hosts to check: streams-centos
    Reference host: streams-centos

Phase 1 - per-host public key ssh connectivity test...

Phase 1 - public key ssh connectivity test summary:
    1 OK hosts.
    0 problem hosts: 

Phase 2 - per-host dependency checking...

Phase 2 - per host dependency checking summary:
    1 OK hosts.
    0 problem hosts: 
    0 problem categories: 

Detailed host results
    Verbosity level: 1 

Overall Summary

1 hosts checked.
    1 OK hosts.
    0 problem hosts: 
    [streamsadmin@streams-centos ~]$ streamtool checkhost -conn

Checking connectivity between the following hosts:

streams-centos

Checking host: streams-centos...

There were no failures found validating connectivity between hosts.

[streamsadmin@streams-centos ~]$ 

(contents of eclipse error log):

!SESSION 2013-08-27 14:03:57.794 -----------------------------------------------
    eclipse.buildId=unknown
    java.version=1.7.0_25
    java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
    BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
    Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.registry 2 0 2013-08-27 14:03:59.398
    !MESSAGE The extensions and extension-points from the bundle "ilog.views.eclipse.diagrammer.runtime" are ignored. The bundle is not marked as singleton. 

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.registry 2 0 2013-08-27 14:03:59.399
    !MESSAGE The extensions and extension-points from the bundle "ilog.views.eclipse.framework.runtime" are ignored. The bundle is not marked as singleton. 

!ENTRY com.ibm.streams.studio.runtime.services 4 0 2013-08-27 14:04:08.581
    !STACK 0
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.runtime.services.InstanceStatePopulator.refreshModelNotOptimized(InstanceStatePopulator.java:958)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.impl.StreamsInstanceImpl$24.run(StreamsInstanceImpl.java:1765)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.impl.StreamsInstanceImpl.refreshModel(StreamsInstanceImpl.java:1757)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.core.impl.StreamsInstallationImpl.refresh(StreamsInstallationImpl.java:500)
    at com.ibm.streams.studio.base.internal.StreamsInstallationUtilities$3.run(StreamsInstallationUtilities.java:150)
    ... 11 more

!ENTRY com.ibm.streams.studio.runtime.services 4 0 2013-08-27 14:04:11.665
    !STACK 0
    ... 14 more

!ENTRY com.ibm.streams.studio.runtime.services 4 0 2013-08-27 14:04:14.717
    !STACK 0
    ... 14 more

!ENTRY com.ibm.streams.studio.runtime.services 4 0 2013-08-27 14:04:17.717
    !STACK 0
    ... 14 more
    The errors in the error log indicate CORBA problems. 

The top of the log shows that you are using an Oracle 1.7 SDK. When using an Oracle SDK, Streams Studio v3.1 requires an Oracle 1.6 SDK configured to use the IBM ORB implementation. 

See this article for information on software prerequisites for Stream Studio version 3.1.