Topic
  • 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2018-06-29T18:41:50Z by Luke Numrych
displaynamegoeshere
displaynamegoeshere
5 Posts

Pinned topic DSM v2.1.5 - last database backup

‏2018-06-12T11:05:32Z | backup database days last since

Is it me imagining or did earlier versions/fixpacks of DSM have a check on the last database backup?

Either 'days since last database backup' or 'last backup successful' ?

Regards

Ken.

• Yun Bo
    Yun Bo
    22 Posts

Re: DSM v2.1.5 - last database backup

‏2018-06-13T09:05:36Z  

Hi Ken,

I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you described. Would you please describe it in detail?

Thanks

Yun Bo

• displaynamegoeshere
    displaynamegoeshere
    5 Posts

‏2018-06-14T13:14:01Z  
    • Yun Bo
    • ‏2018-06-13T09:05:36Z

Hi Ken,

I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you described. Would you please describe it in detail?

Thanks

Yun Bo

Hi

I think i was dreaming that there ever was a check, but I was thinking there was one of two checks:

Last database backup successful

No database backup for X days

Non prod systems dont need to backup every day, but you do need to know if they have not backed up at all for X days so action can be taken.

Hope that helps

Regards

Ken.

• Yun Bo
    Yun Bo
    22 Posts

‏2018-06-15T07:29:13Z  

Hi

I think i was dreaming that there ever was a check, but I was thinking there was one of two checks:

Last database backup successful

No database backup for X days

Non prod systems dont need to backup every day, but you do need to know if they have not backed up at all for X days so action can be taken.

Hope that helps

Regards

Ken.

Hi Ken,

DSM doesn't support it for the time being.We will consider the suggestion you describe.

In addition, if you need it urgently, you can submit your request to our Request for Enhancement (RFE) System. In this way, we can easily consider the priority of the request.

RFE system linkhttps://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/

Regards

Yun Bo

• Luke Numrych
    Luke Numrych
    54 Posts

‏2018-06-15T14:11:52Z  

@displaynamegoeshere:

1. You can get that by creating a User Defined Alert and querying the SYSIBMADM.DB_HISTORY admin view.  That is what I did, and here is an example of the output that is generated.

Alert category:  User-Defined Alerts

Alert type:  FullBackupFreshness

Alert severity:  Critical

Script execution output:  Maintenance operation [B] last performed on 2018-06-08-23.53.52.000000, age (h) = 147

2. No, you are not the only one imagining that this capability was at once promised or announced...  Might have been in DSM 1.0 days.
    3. Interestingly, the DSM repository database has a table HEALTHMETRICS.DBSTATUS, and one of the fields in it is... 'LAST_BACKUP'.  I had thought about using that table to pull the information, unfortunately it seems like the table is not refreshed consistently, which results in false positives, and is generally untrustworthy...  I have not figured out what triggers the update of this table, and whether there is a way to control it, but maybe @Yun Bo could tell us?

• displaynamegoeshere
    displaynamegoeshere
    5 Posts

‏2018-06-15T14:55:20Z  

@displaynamegoeshere:

1. You can get that by creating a User Defined Alert and querying the SYSIBMADM.DB_HISTORY admin view.  That is what I did, and here is an example of the output that is generated.

Script execution output:  Maintenance operation [B] last performed on 2018-06-08-23.53.52.000000, age (h) = 147

2. No, you are not the only one imagining that this capability was at once promised or announced...  Might have been in DSM 1.0 days.
    3. Interestingly, the DSM repository database has a table HEALTHMETRICS.DBSTATUS, and one of the fields in it is... 'LAST_BACKUP'.  I had thought about using that table to pull the information, unfortunately it seems like the table is not refreshed consistently, which results in false positives, and is generally untrustworthy...  I have not figured out what triggers the update of this table, and whether there is a way to control it, but maybe @Yun Bo could tell us?

Hi Luke.

We do use UDAs and we've considered one here but we dont feel the UDA framework (as I'll call it ) is robust.

We find DSM cannot reliably track if a UDA finishes and in those cases raises an (email) alert every minute until the unfinished job is cancelled,

Nor does DSM handle an over-running UDA reliably. 

I should say we have a Case open with IBM for the former problem.

I'd like to think any information that's stored in DB2's own metadata tables will become a native part of DSMs monitoring and alerting, albeit via the RFE process though I accept that could take a while to materialize.

Regards

Ken.

• Luke Numrych
    Luke Numrych
    54 Posts

‏2018-06-15T15:04:06Z  

Hi Luke.

We do use UDAs and we've considered one here but we dont feel the UDA framework (as I'll call it ) is robust.

We find DSM cannot reliably track if a UDA finishes and in those cases raises an (email) alert every minute until the unfinished job is cancelled,

Nor does DSM handle an over-running UDA reliably. 

I should say we have a Case open with IBM for the former problem.

I'd like to think any information that's stored in DB2's own metadata tables will become a native part of DSMs monitoring and alerting, albeit via the RFE process though I accept that could take a while to materialize.

Regards

Ken.

You are right, DSM (and DSWC previously) does not track UDA close event.  But I found that running my UDA with a frequency of an hour is enough in this case.  That is the "resolution" of my UDA anyway - hours since last backup.

I guess it is better than nothing ;).

• jmueller
    jmueller
    89 Posts

‏2018-06-18T07:44:06Z  

You are right, DSM (and DSWC previously) does not track UDA close event.  But I found that running my UDA with a frequency of an hour is enough in this case.  That is the "resolution" of my UDA anyway - hours since last backup.

I guess it is better than nothing ;).

Hi,

the problem has been known for some time, no solution yet.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=10d8db61-fa20-473e-8552-26df896c4efe&ps=25

Best regards

Joachim

• Yun Bo
    Yun Bo
    22 Posts

‏2018-06-24T10:45:50Z  

Hi,

We are investigating if any progress will update the thread.

Best regards

Yun Bo

• Yun Bo
    Yun Bo
    22 Posts

‏2018-06-27T07:03:14Z  

@displaynamegoeshere:

Hi Luke,

After discussion with our developers.

You cannot use the LAST_BACKUP field of the HEALTHMETRICS.DBSTATUS table to determine the last database backup.It is used for other purposes.

In addition, if you have better suggestions for our products, please let us know.Thanks.

Best regards

Yun Bo

Updated on 2018-06-28T01:35:17Z at 2018-06-28T01:35:17Z by Yun Bo
  • Luke Numrych
    Luke Numrych
    54 Posts

‏2018-06-29T18:41:50Z  
    • Yun Bo
    • ‏2018-06-27T07:03:14Z

Hi Luke,

After discussion with our developers.

You cannot use the LAST_BACKUP field of the HEALTHMETRICS.DBSTATUS table to determine the last database backup.It is used for other purposes.

In addition, if you have better suggestions for our products, please let us know.Thanks.

Best regards

Yun Bo

Huh... It shows the last backup timestamp quite accurately for me.  But I am not using it anyway.