Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-03-07T05:31:27Z by JayFurmanek
alanmoon
alanmoon
2 Posts

Pinned topic Automation/Orchestration - Puppet

‏2014-01-31T15:56:29Z |

I have been looking into automation/orchestration tools for our systems.  One of the tools I have been looking at is Puppet Enterprise (PE) from PuppetLabs.  My goal is to manage my AIX, PowerLinux, and X86 Linux environments.  After discussions with PuppetLabs I found out they don't have puppet master or puppet agent for PowerLinux.  I have formally asked them to engage with IBM on delivering a PowerLinux agent and master. 

I am also looking at PowerVC and SmartCloud Entry. 

Besides the IBM SmartCloud offering, what other tools are out there in this space for PowerLinux?

Alan

• k0da
    k0da
    49 Posts

Re: Automation/Orchestration - Puppet

‏2014-02-24T11:14:43Z  

I'm not familiar with Puppet Enterprise, but I see SLES comes with puppet master and agent for PowerLinux.

• JayFurmanek
    JayFurmanek
    113 Posts

Re: Automation/Orchestration - Puppet

‏2014-03-07T05:31:27Z  
    • k0da
    • ‏2014-02-24T11:14:43Z

I'm not familiar with Puppet Enterprise, but I see SLES comes with puppet master and agent for PowerLinux.

Both Puppet and Chef have an open source version and an Enterprise version. The idea there is if you pay for the enterprise version you get a few more tools and official support.

Suse does ship puppet in SLES, so you will get support through the distro, but it is still the open source version (if that matters).

With Chef, I don't believe it is included in the distros currently, but the open source version does work on PowerLinux (it's written in Ruby, mostly).

Currently, there is no support for the Enterprise versions on Power. But it helps if you ask them!

As for PowerVC and SME, those are more for rapid VM/LPAR provisioning, where Puppet and Chef are more for workload and system management.