5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-11-07T10:17:18Z by c_binding
c_binding
c_binding
12 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Informix TimeSeries & IBM Data Studio

‏2013-11-05T09:37:57Z |

Greetings!

I have IBM DataStudio 3.1.1.0, full client installed on my Win7/64 box.

Similarly I have Informix 12.10 (64 bit) and have installed TimeSeries 4.01.FC8

DataStudio sees the Informix world fine, with the exception of the TimeSeries stuff.

deploying ts_datastudio.zip via the DataStudio/Eclipse install gui fails with the following message:

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
  Software currently installed: Shared profile 1.0.0.1361782109944 (SharedProfile_bootProfile 1.0.0.1361782109944)
  Missing requirement: Platform Source Patch (bugzillas 337719,335860,342308,345760,342308,345549,355614,339360) 1.0.9 (org.eclipse.platform.source.R362patch.feature.group 1.0.9) requires 'org.eclipse.platform.source.feature.group [3.6.2.r362_v20110210-9gF78Gs1FrIGnHDHWkEcopoN8AmxeZflGDGKQi]' but it could not be found
  Cannot satisfy dependency:
    From: Shared profile 1.0.0.1361782109944 (SharedProfile_bootProfile 1.0.0.1361782109944)
    To: org.eclipse.platform.source.R362patch.feature.group [1.0.9]

I can't make sense of this error message.

Should I just install a new version of IBM DataStudio (though the Informix doc claims 2.1.1 and beyond suffice...)

• c_binding
    c_binding
    12 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Informix TimeSeries & IBM Data Studio

‏2013-11-05T10:11:26Z  in response to c_binding

IBM DataStudio 4.1 seems to have cured the problem....

IT in the new millenium: patch your system every hour.

• c_binding
    c_binding
    12 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-05T10:55:54Z  in response to c_binding

still not working.

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS my_ts_data (
        meter_id    BIGINT NOT NULL ******** KEY,
     raw_reads     TIMESERIES(my_meter_data)
    ) LOCK MODE ROW

Type (timeseries) not found.

after installing the ts_datastudio.zip

what do I need to do?

• c_binding
    c_binding
    12 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-05T12:00:43Z  in response to c_binding

well, it seems the wonderful doc only tell part of the story. doing it as

CREATE ROW TYPE if not exists my_meter_data(
        timestamp    DATETIME YEAR TO FRACTION(5),
        data         DECIMAL(4,3)
    );

create distinct type if not exists my_meter_data_type as my_meter_data;

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS my_ts_data (
        meter_id    BIGINT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
     raw_reads     my_meter_data_type(my_meter_data)
    ) LOCK MODE ROW;

worked. I guess it's the "distinct type" which made the difference. using the word "timeseries" appears to be a place holder in the Informix doc.

• Mark_Ashworth
      Mark_Ashworth
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-06T17:24:15Z  in response to c_binding

Hi, I am the Extensibility Architect in development responsible for TimeSeries and other data types like Spatial and BTS index and your issue was brought to my attention.  I cannot help with any DataStudio questions but I have looked at the issues related to the TimeSeries data type.

Timeseries is not a place holder, it is a kind of collection type that is built in the server.  You should not need to install TimeSeries 4.01 with any Informix server starting with 11.70.  Version built into the server has many new features and optimization specific to the version of Informix and its the version of TimeSeries documented with 12.10.

As it is built in, the server should automatically enabled in a database on first reference.   In 12.10, you should have a directory :
          %INFORMXIXDIR%\extend\TimeSeries.6.00.FC1 (or FC2, if you have 12.10.xC2).  If this directory does not exists, then an advanced install option was used to omit it from the server install.  

The TimeSeries data type is automatic enabled when you use the TimeSeries type (or other SQL objects related to TimeSeries). Since you did not get it automatically but got the  "Type (timeseries) not found." error, it tells me that the type was not enabled properly.   Typically this happens when the db admin has turned off the dbscheduler.  However if the dbscheduler is running and you still should see errors tagged with AUTOREG in the online.log indicating why the data type could not be enabled.  Technical Support should be able to help with any of these issues.

In your last message, using distinct types. This worked, but it does not create a table with a timeseries column, rather it creates a table with two columns, the meter_id and  raw_reads of with the distinct type "my_meter_data_type" and will not be able to hold timesereies data.

I hope this helps.
      Mark.

• c_binding
        c_binding
        12 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-07T10:17:18Z  in response to Mark_Ashworth

Mark,

many thanks for your reply. the latest status is:

C:\Program Files\IBM Informix Software Bundle\extend\TimeSeries.6.00.FC1 is there

dbaccessdemo creates the stores_demo DB and it does include the TimeSeries stuff ok.

When  I say "create database <foo>" the <foo> DB does *not* show the TimeSeries stuff.

I'm administering this via dbaccess and DataStudio (Having had no success with OAT as I run - oh surprise - on a 64 bit box)

I even got some JDBC code to insert values into a TimeSeries row (in stores_demo), but eventually it barfs with "ISAM out of memory".

I presume not enough space allocated somewhere.

In summary, I guess I should try to figure out the dbscheduler issue you mentioned; one would have assumed that this is enabled per default.

Do I miss DB2? kind of....

Thanks, Carl

ps: I haven't been able to find the "dbscheduler" you mention. This is all on Windows 7/64 bit.

Updated on 2013-11-07T12:22:49Z at 2013-11-07T12:22:49Z by c_binding