Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-05-01T17:32:21Z by Rouffa
srinivasushekharappa
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Zoning

‏2014-04-11T18:55:44Z |

Hi,

Zoning can be enforced in two ways: soft and hard. Is it recommended to have both kind of zones in a fabric ?

If not why?

If i have unused zones in the fabric, is it going to affect ?

• AndersLorensen
    AndersLorensen
    156 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Zoning

‏2014-04-28T20:51:09Z  in response to srinivasushekharappa

Soft zoning is "obsolete". No fiber channel switches today uses it without hard zoning as well. Soft zoning is basicly security by obscurity.

Wikipedia describes it pretty well in the "Soft and hard zoning" paragraph: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibre_Channel_zoning

Unused zones can affect stuff, if they contain ports instead of WWNs. So it is always a good idea to clean up the configuration. Even with WWN based zoning, an old zone could affect something if you one day decide to reuse an old HBA that was zoned for something.

/Anders

• Rouffa
    Rouffa
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Zoning

‏2014-05-01T17:32:21Z  in response to srinivasushekharappa

Soft zone actually seems better especially if you plan to extend a fabric

I work on some 2109 IBM director with 256 ports and identifying port number on them is a little hard

It's better to plug cable anywhere in a fabric ...

So my advise is to use soft zoning changing from hard to soft is easy avoid mixing hw and sw alias in same zone..